FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI’m sick of fighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’m sick of fighting
    Posted: 20 April 2009 at 7:45pm
What do you feed your 4/5 year olds?

I'm sick of fighting with her to eat her tea & forcing food down her throat & plain pasta is just not cutting it!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:28pm
food is one of those things i dont fight.

i cook dinner and most nights he wont eat anything but then asks for something else... i of course say if you are hungry then eat whats on your plate... he refuses so doesnt get any thing else.

he eats rice and pasta and noodles so tonight for instance we had devilled sausages and i did it with rice cause i knew he would eat that. my other boy on the other hand only ate the sausage.

he is older now and i sometimes ask him to at least try a small mouthful of something so he can be sure he does indeed hate it... lol!

i try and alternate between meals i know he will eat - bacon and egg pie, pasta, chippies and nuggets, pizza - and the ones i know will probably get refused.

so in short you are not alone. and there is no easy solution.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2009 at 8:43pm
I don't yell at her but it's blatent refusal & it's foods she has eaten.

She gets sent to bed with out food often, so that doesn't seem to work.

My problem is she is skinny & very high energy so burns off anything she does eat.

I wonder if I just make her the same thing every night? Ie freeze meatballs & defrost & cook one each night?

But then again on sat night she wouldn't eat one of those.
Kel

Candkids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candkids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 11:16am
sarahs a bit like that too and would live on plain pasta for every meal if we let her, i made the mistake of just letting her choose what she wanted to eat then after a while it didnt work so we have "dinner time rules"

every night i cook us a meal we sit at the table and eat togeather, jett has the same as us also, some nights she wont eat a thing and some nights she will eat non stop,
if she doesnt eat anything the rules are her meal usually gets gladwrapped and thats the only thing shes allowd to eat that night untill bed.
i try and make sure she at least 2 forkfulls of everything on her plate, and if she does then she gets desert.
and every friday is fish & chip night

shes also really active and really skinny.

i make sure she has breakfast every day (which is the biggest battle)
and she has a "snack box" which has fruit x 2, chips & a museli bar in it and that is what she can eat during the day if shes hungry otherwise she would graze all day long!

and shes not allowd anything to eat from 4pm untill dinner which is 5.30-6pm, which i find makes a really big difference in her appetite

but i think the worst thing i did was just to let her choose what she wanted every night as it was a bit stupid cooking seperate meals for everyone, and even after a while when we asked her what she wanted she would say pizza or mcdonalds or something, and if she stayed at her nannas or her dads she would expect them also to cook her what she wanted and ruined many a family dinner party with a tantrum as she wanted nuggets insted of a roast!. it took ages to get her out of the mindset that she could choose what she wanted to eat for tea each night and that she had to eat the same as us and ill admit its a battle and would be soooo much easier some nights to give in to her
anyway thats just my story on the topic
good luck

DD 10.5yrs
DS 6yrs
DS 11mths
5 little angles watching from above
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 12:14pm
Hmmm yes I forgot about breakfast cause it's school hols & we have more time.

Alia usually goes straight in the bath after tea or lack of tea & then straight to bed. So she never asks for other stuff.

I struggle to get her to eat her lunch at school as well! I give her complan when she gets home from school & that stops her snacking.

If it was just one meal a day I wouldn't worry so much.

She is just too busy.
Kel

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2009 at 12:40pm
Right now I'm struggling to get her to eat her lunch!

We have to go out & do something she want's to do & she's still sitting groaning about it!
Kel

Lea2109 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lea2109 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2009 at 11:03pm
I can fully understand your frustration. My nearly 6 year old is so incredibly fussy. I suppose the chemo and steroid tablets may have had something to do with this and so it will be interesting to see what it will be like from September when she is hopefully done with treatment.

But at this point there are days that I just simply resort to ProNutro - a South African cereal that you mix up with milk and it has a good mix of vitamins, protein and iron.

She'll eat some stuff, but a lof ot the time she won't be eating what we want her to eat.
Our blog: http://whitesinnz.blogspot.com
Bianca's story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=NZ&hl=en-GB&v=jFKlYEy4WAY
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 8:01pm
Although she's skinny, is she underweight for her height or about right? My 5yo is not skinny (nor chubby, for that matter) so if she doesn't want what's on the menu for dinner, she misses out - her choice. She knows if she doesn't accept it, she has to wait for breakfast.

In saying that, we have a policy of getting the girls to finish what's on their plate (a reasonable amount) before having extras but they are allowed to leave one item of choice to one side...e.g. onions, corn, whatever it is they have decided they don't want that night.

I try to keep our meals interesting, varied, and not too spicy. Basically all of our meals (including snacks) are nutrition-based so if they skip one, I know they won't miss out on a lot.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2009 at 10:52pm
Yes I'd say she's underweight for her height. She's easily 125cm. She is very very slender.

Complan is helping, she definitely has more covering over her ribs.

DH is now giving her 2 weetbix for breakfast which is Fab! & I have made some bran biscuits which she likes as well so that is helping fill out her day time food.

She went to bed tonight without dinner, but I think she was just exhausted as she was out like a light before 5.30pm But I wasn't worried about her missing dinner as she had complan plus a couple of snacks after school.

We are also starting her on an elimination diet to do with food additives & have found we are definitely having less battles.

Cross fingers & healing vibes to your little girl Lea! I'd say she probably doesn't feel the best. My MIL is going through chemo & radiation & she says she feels like crap (and complains enough about it ) Will look into that cereal too.
Kel

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 10:41am
I have an update to this!!!

We have cut out additives, preservatives & at the moment are starting into an elimination diet.

OMG I am loving the change in Alia, last week she ate her lunch 3 times, ate her dinner 2 times, & most noticable this morning has eaten pancakes for breakfast which she would have never touched. I think she's eaten all her breakfast all week too. WITH NO FIGHTS. I am noticing the time we have fights is when she's reacting to something.

I haven't needed to really give her complan this week. Certainly making the shopping cheaper.

This is where I am getting my info from Food intolerance network & their main website. I've read four books written by the person who had issues with her own daughter.

Lea, for sure your daughters treatment will have everything to do with her not eating. Hope she is doing well

I can't believe how happy I am in this post compared to the ones above!

eta: The things she doesn't like tend to be foods she reacts to but then there are somethings she loves which she also reacts to as well so it's difficult.

Edited by Aliasmum
Kel

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 10:51pm
that is awesome news....! job well done mum!

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 2:22pm
Hi. What made you decide to try elimination? Did she have allergy symptoms?

I wonder sometimes about my girl as she doesn't like to eat and says eating makes her tummy sore.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 2:58pm
That's great news!

I don't buy snacks much ie muesli bars, chips etc. I make my own, so they are free from additives etc. Vogels bread doesn't have any in it either, my 5 year old has been eating that since she was 2 or so and will eat it happily.
Am going to get a breadmaker to make my own bread soon too.

What I've done (she's getting fussier over the years with her eating!) is let her eat bits of the meal - for example, if I'm making a vege stir fry - she'll happily eat raw carrot, raw beans, frozen peas etc. Then some plain pasta, and if we are having meat I'll fry it up first and take her portion out before adding the sauce.

During the day I let her fill up on fruit and veges, and toast, sometimes pasta too. Her fav is macaroni cheese and I tried to be sneaky by blending veges in the sauce, but she knew and wouldn't eat it
She likes those yoghurt tubes (but I don't lol, big waste of money and packaging).

She is pretty healthy though (high energy too) and when you add up all the things she does it, it's actually quite a bit. Most kids prefer snacking during the day than eating a big meal.

I give her Immunifort vitamins in the winter just to be sure (reminds me, I need to buy some more).

Hope this helps.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 4:55pm
Fiona, it was a pure fluke! I saw the book in the library "Fed Up with ADHD" & thought I'll have a read while I wait for Alia who was drawing & playing on the computer games. I certainly didn't classify her as ADHD though. I basically read the first page with my jaw dropping. It was Sue Dengates personal story & although Alia is no where near as bad she was almost describing her!

So I got the book out, read it cover to cover that night & the next morning & decided to cut out additives & preservatives. So we did & there was a good change in her. So thought I'd take it one step further as I knew she still got hypo from some things.

Since then I've got all of the books out from the library & read them & have bought the cookbook so I can do the elimination diet properly. I've joined an email groups here & in Oz to help get the most information I can get.

Also I can see when Alia reacts as luckly for me she reacts quickly to things & she also gets the dark allergic rings under her eyes. She also "dumbs" down & we'd hit a road block at school as well so it really was the perfect timing to discover this.

Meow, hate to tell you this but the vinegar is also classified as an additive I was under that impression as well until I got the NZ shopping list to help me buy items for us to eat. Definitely get a bread maker, I usually make bread at home but have been using Pams Pita pockets for her lunch instead.

But Yay for us, just found out that Pams frozen chips are additive free
Kel

FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 5:44pm
Ahhh yes - the dark circles. We get those big time. There are LOTS of intolerances on DH's side of the family so I'm suspicious. She's never been an easy kid + had lots of sleep / eating / constipation issues. I've read that book too but for us the changes didn't seem to help after a month so although I should've kept going I stopped.

Great that it has worked so well for you!
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
meow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 7:19pm
Vinegar? Hmm. I might have to read those books then.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:31pm
Did you do the full elimination diet Fiona? There is also a list of common mistakes as well which upset the apple cart so to speak. For us it's definitely more than just the additives & preservatives. She reacts definitely to citrus fruits & berries. So if you recall the Salicylate acid foods, she is reacting to the top 2 levels, will need to do the diet properly to test her on the next level down.

Have been trying to get her to eat pears & I thought that they were all created equal. Won't touch them in a can or the brown skinned ones but will happily eat the green skinned ones.

Meow, the first one I read was the Fed up with ADHD, I think it's a good read to start with as it gives you the Authors story & she is very approachable. I've emailed her about a couple of things & she's put me on to the NZ support people.

Would you believe though in cooking & eating the foods in the cookbook, very simple recipes, I've been full, which is hard seeing I'm fully breast feeding & have been eating all the time.

I'd definitely look around the website again there is heaps of info on there that is also in the books. Product updates is a good one to look as well.
Kel

Post Reply Post Reply