FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux and Dairy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux and Dairy
    Posted: 02 June 2009 at 8:34am
I stopped having dairy in my diet and found it made a HUGE difference to Eva, she was so much more settled. When I had a tiny bit of dairy she would get upset anywhere from 4 hours to 12 hours later.

We went to see a paed and had allergy testing done, Eva came up with no allergy to dairy so I tried having dairy again (cup of tea with condensed milk - yum) and 12 hours later she was screaming non stop after me feeding her.

So if she doesn't have an allergy to dairy but dairy makes her scream we figured it was the reflux (which had been getting worse - gaviscon just didn't seem to work as well anymore).

So we went to the Dr as the paed said he would prefer Eva to be on ranitidine than gaviscon and got her medication changed to ranitidine. She has been on it since Friday and the change in her is amazing!

She is happy all the time, doesn't scream in pain anymore, spews way less than when she was on gaviscon, her pooing is almost back to normal... we now wish that we had made the change earlier.

Anyway do you think I can eat dairy now that her reflux medication has changed? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

It is just soo hard to have nothing with dairy in it (even tiny bits seem to affect her) and if I could eat a bit of dairy I would be keen on BF for longer but at the moment I am looking forward to her going onto formula. I am waiting for the paed to ring me back as she doesn't have an allergy to cows milk but I don't think I want to put her on cows milk formula because of the bad reflux she got with me just having a small amount of dairy.

When do you think I should try having a bit of dairy? Should I wait until Friday so it will be a week of her being on ranatidine?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by Mel&Kel
Mummy to Eva born 11 Feburary 2009 and Charlotte born 18 April 2011
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2009 at 9:39am
Skin prick tests in under 1s are grossly inaccurate, a lot of docs don't even bother doing them before 12 months as you can get negative results even when they do have an allergy. When Spencer went onto neocate the doc didn't do a skin prick test he just went on his case history, he went on it at 4 months but wasn't skin prick tested till 12 months when he showed positive to dairy, egg and peanuts.

If I was you I would wait till Friday, a few more days won't hurt, and then try it in baking first or the condensed milk in tea again (although that sounds really gross, evener grosser than the rice milk in tea that I tried ) and see how you go. It sounds to me though like she does have an allergy to it and I also would be reluctant to put her on cow's milk formula but you should be aware that goats or sheeps milk would also be unsuitable as the proteins are too similar and there are issues with the soy one as well, I can't remember exactly what but if you google it you will find out and also the tin itself says to only use under medical advisement, so if you are going to wean you really want one of the prescription formulas but the paed would need to think she has an allergy to give you the script (gps can't get the funding it has to be a paed).

Good luck

CoopersMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CoopersMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 3:24pm
I also have a baby born on feb 11th this year with reflux. He was on gaviscon and ranitidine and vomited all the time while screaming...until I put him on goats milk formula! The change in him was amazing...everytime I fed him he would scream so we tried him on cows milk formula and that was worse so I did some research on the net and decided to try goats milk formula it was worth a try I thought. the vomiting is a lot better, he no longer screams and we have taken him off ranitidine and only use gaviscon now. We tried 1 bottle of cows milk formula last week 2 see if he had grown out of the reflux or if infact the goats milk formula was the reason and had a day of vomiting while crying and being very sad again.
Mel&Kel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mel&Kel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2009 at 8:30pm
CoopersMummy were you BF? If so were you dairy free?

I will try goats milk formula, I went onto the karicare website and they send out samples but I have to have my Dr ring them to say it is ok because Eva is under 6 months. That is so helpful, thanks so much!

I have tried eating dairy and Eva doesn't seem to be in pain but she spills so much more if I eat dairy and I have noticed she gets eczema on her forehead if I eat dairy.

We still haven't heard back from the paed, we went over a month ago and I am so angry, we have phoned 3 times and no one will call us back or anything... at the moment I feel we wasted $200 taking her there!!
Mummy to Eva born 11 Feburary 2009 and Charlotte born 18 April 2011
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2009 at 4:46pm
Jake had severe silent reflux and I went off dairy completely just on a hunch (when I was BFing). He was on Omeprazole but any dairy set him off even with the meds. I tried him on cows milk formula and it was awful so moved him straight onto goats milk formula. Hes now 2 and he has lactose-free milk, dairy-free olivani, soy yoghurt, etc. Hes had the faeces and blood tests (at 1) and they came back negative but since he had no dairy in his system since we'd kept him off it I think the test was inaccurate.
My doc supported the whole no-dairy thing and we get the child disability allowance from WINZ which is not income-tested and its approx $80 per fortnight. It covers his dairy-free stuff coz it gets really expensive. It'll help with the extra cost of special formula.
Go with your instincts I reckon!!
soph View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2009 at 8:55am
My DD had severe Gastro reflux and she used to screaming place down and vomiting every 5 mins. I remove dairy and made huge difference. She was turn out to be got milk intolerance (skin prick at 6months old confirm no dairy allergy, but allergy to egg, peanuts & tree nuts) and she outgrown her milk intolerance by 12 month.
My DS2 also got reflux, but not severe as his sister. Again he was improve with reflux but also ezcema improve bits when I remove dairy from my diet. I knew DS2 more likely got dairy allergy rather than milk intolerance. Skin prick at 7months old confirm dairy allergy and he still is at 22months old.

She may got milk intolerance, dairy allergy or lactose intolerance?

If child got dairy allergy, there is high risk that child also allergic to goat milk because cow's and goat's milk protein are very similar. Also there is a risk to be allergic to soya as well, only very small and unfortunately DS2 is one of these children allergic to dairy and soya.
DS2 was breastfed till 14months (I had to be on dairy, egg, peanuts and soya free for 14months!!) before he was introduced to Neocate Advanced. I can only get hypoallergenic formula milk's special number from pead dr then order batch of tins from GP.

Post Reply Post Reply