FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwoollen soakers or shorties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: woollen soakers or shorties
    Posted: 20 June 2009 at 10:19pm
Most mornings I have to change Cam's clothes because his night nappy has leaked! I think it may be coming out of the leg holes, because I really can't pack his Ecobubs and Honeychild pockets with any more inserts! He does have skinny legs, and probably isn't quite fitting his mediums properly.
I'm interested in trying some woollen soakers or shorties over top, but don't want too much bulk. Are there any readymade trim versions I can buy, or patterns I can get my mum to knit? And can you do up bodysuits and sleepsuits over top of them?
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2009 at 10:40pm
There are a bunch of patterns linked to on this page - some of the links may be outdated but most should be fine. You can buy premade ones from Tweedle, Mother's Instinct or on Craft Fetish (warning - lots and lots of other cool stuff on Craft Fetish too, hold onto your wallet).

Trimmer options for wool covers include Staccinator covers (you can get them from Snazzipants), DesignerBums if you can source them second hand, or Disana have a couple of different versions (try Organic Island Baby).

The wool covers themselves aren't that bulky, but I have to say if you have dome-up bodysuits that could be your problem? Sometimes they can squeeze the moisture out of your inserts esp if you're using any microfibre. You could try one of Jess's onesie bummsie's (from Exquisite Baby or Mother's Instinct) to give yourself a bit more room. You *may* find you need to go up a size in sleepsuits.

And if you're going to try wool covers or soakers, you could try longies (see Kye's recent thread about night nappies in the product review section) or possibly even a fitted nappy instead of a pocket?

LOL information overload from me as per normal. I got lazy with linking part way through so let me know if you need pointing to anything I didn't link to

Edited by weegee

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2009 at 10:52pm
Also, try trademe - there are some cheap soakers on at the moment (linky), plus I've seen some merino covers on there too... actually they would have been these ones.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by whitewave whitewave wrote:

I'm interested in trying some woollen soakers or shorties over top, but don't want too much bulk. Are there any readymade trim versions I can buy, or patterns I can get my mum to knit? And can you do up bodysuits and sleepsuits over top of them?

Why not go for longies? That way they double as protection and pj pants! You could knit your own (really easy using the Tiny Birds Organics pattern!) or you could buy some ready-made

Vic xx

Edited by kiwivic

whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2009 at 10:13pm
Cool, lots of options to consider! Thanks guys, I'll have fun tomorrow spending waaay too much time on the net!
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 1:04pm
Okay I have another question - I won't start another topic, I'll just put it in here.

For a night time heavy wetter, do you need to use microfibre to draw the moisture in quickly? Just wondering, cos if I can get rid of the bulk of the microfibre then maybe I can get more trimmer, absorbent inserts into the nappy. Will, say, a bamboo trifold and a 4-layer hemp insert (homemade super soaker!) do the trick? I haven't tried bamboo inserts yet, and I'm wondering if its worth buying some to try.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 1:05pm
You only really need one layer of microfibre and then all the rest can be hemp or bamboo.
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:24pm
Okay another question... my mum is going to knit some longies for me, do I need to lanolise them before use or is it just a maintenance thing you need to do every so often?
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 10:22pm
If you're using them as a cover (with a fitted nappy underneath) then you'll need to lanolise them before use. But if you just want them as an extra protective layer over a pocket or AIO they don't need to be lanolised at all

Vic xx

Post Reply Post Reply