FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCaring for young kids after CS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Caring for young kids after CS
    Posted: 24 June 2009 at 9:39pm
I didnt know what to make the title lol

Caden will be 14 months old when this baby is born and Ive been thinking about how things are going to be if I need a c section which is quite likely.
I know Im not going to be able to lift him up and stuff DH has got 3 weeks off from the 24th(Im due 19thish) so he will be here for at least 2 weeks after the c section to help out, but I remember last time I was sore for a long time and couldnt lift anything heavier than a new born caden, and perhaps the capsule if I needed to(I didnt drive for 3 1/2 weeks).
Caden is heavy now, and is going to be even heavier in 2 months lol!! He needs lifting into his highchair and cot etc

How did everyone else tackle this dilema?

Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 9:46pm
start teaching him to climb into his highchair. Thats what I did with Tom. If your highchair is one that can go low put it down low.

The hardest thing I found was getting Tom in and out of his cot. I made him half climb by dragging a step over. He would step on that and then I would support him as we tipped him over to the cot. TO get him out I got him to stand up and I helped him stand on the rail and then into my arms and then I slithered him down me to the ground.

There were a couple of times I had to lift him. I just got in really close, bent my knees and hugged him as I stood up.

I think the first 3 weeks are the ones you really need to be careful of.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2009 at 10:28pm
Ahh thats a good idea about the cot! Caden will be able to do that, he is good with his climbing onto things and stuff now. I'll buy a step thingy soon then.
His highchair does go really low actually, I didnt even think of that lol!

Yeah I know last time the first 2 weeks were the worst and the next 2 were not so bad, but I took ages to recover last time cos of all the issues I had after the section, but my MW asures me this time I wont have that problem, especially if it ends up being an elective.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 7:51am
Ahh brilliant idea on the highchair .. im going to do that today as I lifted Issy into hers two days ago and just about shrieked!

Getting her out of the cot isnt too bad as she stands so shes at my waist height anyway.

The one time Ive had to put her into bed as there was no one else around to lift her I got her to climb up onto me while I was on the couch, and stood up with her, then I kind of tipped her into the cot (still not comfy though) ... we had thought of getting some steps and having her climb up, but havent got around to that yet.

Most of the time if she wants to be picked up, I sit down and have her climb up onto me so I dont have to bend down and lift her.

Im fortunate though that SD or my Mum is on hand (usually) to help out with her.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 8:53am
i haven't thought too much but Dh doesn't have much time off(he doesn't get paid) so i will have to sort this out too...Ethan climbs in and out of his highchair so will have to sort out the cot though thinking of a bed transition by then.. he's 13 kg already Sheza so I feel your pain:( took me about 6 weeks to be able to lift anything at all really but hopefully as we will both be elective this time it will be different?
Mum to two amazing boys!
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 11:17am
Oooh lowering the highchair! Will do this today! Already they hang off the chair when they're hungry anyway.
The only reason I'm watching this thread is for back pain reasons, honest
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 12:07pm
I feel quite chuffed to have thought of something noone else seems to have   
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 12:42pm
Yeah I taught Spencer to climb into his chair as well, he now goes and climbs into it whenever he is trying to tell me something, the little piggy.
I also taught him to climb into the car, so that I wouldn't need to lift him from the ground into his seat, just from the foot well to his seat (I didn't have a c/s in the end, but I think it would have made it easier).
I also taught him how to mostly climb in and out of the bath, he just needs a little assistance with being steadied but doesn't need to be lifted. (we don't have a shower)
We were gonna take the side off his cot had I had a c/s then he could have just climbed in himself as it's not that high, but I have no idea if he would have decided to climb back out and never go to sleep.

The one thing I really worried about was him kicking when I change his nappy, that one still isn't fixed now

Oh another thing I did was got him use to coming and sitting next to me, rather than on me, to read books, put his shoes on etc. and encouraged him to climb up on the sofa to sit next to me as well so he could be involved whilst feeding without me needing to lift him up or him wanting to be on me. This does however mean that goobers end up on your sofa

KA, recovery should be easier for you this time as your body won't have gone through labour before hand, but on the flipside you won't be able to blob out at the end of pregnancy as you will have a busy toddler to look after, so won't be as rested as with a first.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 2:53pm
I actually found this elective "harder" than the emergency just because i got nerve damage this time and it was a longer operation because of what they found when they opened me up.

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 3:32pm
Caden is a kicker as well at nappy change time, he gets me in the tummy alot and it bloody hurts, so thats worrys me a bit!

At 14 months I think he might still be too little to get out the bath himself, so DH can do bath time! Even though Caden seems to hate Dh bething him *sigh*
Im definitly going to lower the highchair and start teaching him to climb in it himself.
I'll get the steps so he can climb up into his cot, with me holding his hands of course

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 3:48pm
Spencer taught Ethan as well:) he never even thought of climbing in then he saw Spencer doing it at coffee group and has done it ever since:)

cuppatea- good ideas! and yeah and will be busy preparing for his birthday too:(! hopefully will get a bit of help at the end..

lilfatty- bit scary to get nerve damage :(
Mum to two amazing boys!
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2009 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

I actually found this elective "harder" than the emergency just because i got nerve damage this time and it was a longer operation because of what they found when they opened me up.

Is the nerve damage because of the surgeon doing a crappy job the first time round or something else entirely? Sorry, I'm just curious
 Post Reply Post Reply