FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbreastmilk allergy???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sarahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breastmilk allergy???
    Posted: 24 July 2009 at 9:19am
Quick background, due to early feeding problems Floyd is a mix of formula and EBM fed. (Every so often he has a B/F just to keep me confused!) I take domperidone to keep my supply up as I want him to still have breastmilk as both DP and I have asthma and non food allergies. He has been diagnosed as having reflux and is on 10mg of losec daily. We tried him on AR formula but it made no difference so he is on normal nuture.

Lately Ive been wondering if he is allergic or intolerant to something in my milk. He always arches his back during a feed of EBM and pulls off and gets all fussy whereas he will drink formula fine. He always does a HUGE spill after EBM too. and will still spill up to an hour later (he spills after formula but nowhere near as much) Im wondering if thats why he doesnt like to BF very much either. I offer him the breast everyday but he often screams and looks really distressed (randomly he will latch on happily though )

Has anyone else found that breast milk made their babies reflux worse? Is it worth mentioning my concerns to my Dr or to the Paed Dr?
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 2:11pm
Try cutting chocolate out, Kyle would do that if I ate chocolate but now he seems to tolerate me eating some. I think some citrus fruits can cause that as well and I've heard that tomatoes can cause problems as well, think cos of the acid in them. If they don't make a difference, I would try cutting out eggs, nuts, fish, soy, wheat. (one at a time, not all at once you will have nothing to eat..lol). Those are the main allergy foods so the most likely to cause an issue.
I don't know anything about domperidone but could it be that? maybe ask the doc about any known side effects from using it.

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 2:13pm
It's HIGHLY unlikely that he is allergic to your milk, but it could be something in your diet. Ring La Leche, they willb e great help! I do have a LLL book of BF answers but it is shut in a room where there is a sleepy toddler, so am unable to help atm.
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2009 at 11:48pm
Do you have dairy & does he have frothy poohs?

Cooper was the same. Just cause dairy wasn't causing me issues with my asthma, didn't mean it wasn't causing him probs. So cut it out & it took a few days to filter through but he definitely stopped spilling & now about a month or so later we are down to poohing every second day I think.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2009 at 12:16pm
Yea same with dairy here, if i had icecream brennan really reacted. I miss icecream :(

busyissy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busyissy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2009 at 1:36pm
Isobelle did the same thing with BM and it turned out she is lactose intolerant. It is very unusal apparently. Dr can do a stool sample to check for lactose in his poos to check if he is lactose intolerant. Otherwise, it might be a cow's milk allergy, you could try cutting out dairy and see if it makes a difference. Just be careful what you replace your dairy with, lots of babies who have milk allergy also have a soy allergy.
Good luck
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2009 at 9:37am
Yep Jake is lactose intolerant and I had to cut dairy out otherwise feeding him was a nightmare.
 Post Reply Post Reply