FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCommon Breastfeeding Myths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:26pm
Having small boobs doesn't mean you can't feed or won't have enough milk. I'm only an A cup and both times I have had huge over supply problems.

Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Febgirl Febgirl wrote:

Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

BREASTFEEDING MYTHS

Never wake a sleeping baby

Poor supply is due to stress, tiredness and bad diet and liquid intake

Nipple confusion doesn’t exist

Demand feeding makes a mother resentful

Other members of the family need to feed the baby so they can bond as well

I believe there is basis to all of these - maybe not 100% of the time or in every circumstance, but I wouldn't call them myths.

Ok there is BASIS to these, but generally they are myths for the best part. Although I would agree that they aren't myths for everyone, I have taken these from a published article, and I have referenced it at the bottom of my initial post, so its not me making it up, either! they come from reserched studies conducted over a long period of time.

The sleeping baby thing is a myth in part because not waking baby to feed can affect your supply in those early days when you need to feed all the time to get supply up. Not waking can lead to over hungry baby who won't latch correctly or comes off lll the time in frustration becasue they are hungry and want it now

The nipple confusion thing also, I see lots of women having huge BF issues becasue they started off with BF and expressing for a night feed right off the bat (so Dad can "bond"). Before BF is properly establiseshed (around 6 weeks) Baby can struggle with getting used to different sucking techniques. This is actually proven, I have 2 references on this, 2 differnt Drs conducted studies and when I can get my book out of the wardrobe in Charlys room, i will reference it, if you like.

And at the risk of a flaming, I have to say, there are millions of Dads/Grandparents etc out there who have managed to bond just fine with their babies without feeding them....

Like I said, though, they won't ring true for everyone, however it is safest to call them "myths", becasue we deal woth alot of worried mums out there who have their heads filled with these myths and they can create barriers to happy feeding!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
baalamb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baalamb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:42pm
fattarts, can you please define what it means for breastfeeding to be "established"? I've wondered this for a while. Does it only refer to your supply? How does one know when the establishment has happened? Ta
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:45pm
I think good daddy baby bonding can occur via nappy changing

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:51pm

Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

Really Annie?! I totally thought that was gospel! Is it just that stress inhibits letdown then?

i certainly thought those things could contribute to a poor supply. come give us more info Fats!

Sorry, been offline for a whole week!!! They can certainly be contributing factors and all three togethrr might make for poor supply, and yes., stress will make let down a bit slower, but poor supply is usually caused by lots of things such as - clock feeding instead of demand feeding, not feeding enough on one side before offering the other side, too short feeds, skipping feeds (not waking your sleeping new baby or giving a bottle of formula or ebm at night and not pumping to make up for lost feed), the list goes on.

Diet and liquid intake have no effect really, Baby (and body) takes to your detriment, same as if you can't eat while you are pg cops of sickness. The body (and baby) take nutirents etc from your own stores. Even women in food lacking nations manage to feed their children...

Tiredness also, no effect, although not having a good diet can contribute to tiredness as well,

sheesh, toby was really abnormal then.. he was clock fed and given a dummy at less than a week old and none of that affected my supply (oh and i used to wake him to feed)... just goes to show really doesnt it that even tho there may be some basis for fact not all Myths are that!

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Yeah, or that the whole areola should be in baby's mouth - my babies mouths aren't that huge!

Hehe that is what I was meaning, just in case I've got abnormal boobs I wasn't going to say it too loud!

If bubs had their lip on the bottom of my areola the nipples is no where near their mouths.

My theory was if it doesn't hurt then it's got to be all good.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 4:08pm

BREASTFEEDING MYTHS

Never wake a sleeping baby

Nipple confusion doesn’t exist

Demand feeding makes a mother resentful

Other members of the family need to feed the baby so they can bond as well

I believe there is basis to all of these - maybe not 100% of the time or in every circumstance, but I wouldn't call them myths.

Ok there is BASIS to these, but generally they are myths for the best part. Although I would agree that they aren't myths for everyone, I have taken these from a published article, and I have referenced it at the bottom of my initial post, so its not me making it up, either! they come from reserched studies conducted over a long period of time.

The sleeping baby thing is a myth in part because not waking baby to feed can affect your supply in those early days when you need to feed all the time to get supply up. Not waking can lead to over hungry baby who won't latch correctly or comes off lll the time in frustration becasue they are hungry and want it now

The nipple confusion thing also, I see lots of women having huge BF issues becasue they started off with BF and expressing for a night feed right off the bat (so Dad can "bond"). Before BF is properly establiseshed (around 6 weeks) Baby can struggle with getting used to different sucking techniques. This is actually proven, I have 2 references on this, 2 differnt Drs conducted studies and when I can get my book out of the wardrobe in Charlys room, i will reference it, if you like.

And at the risk of a flaming, I have to say, there are millions of Dads/Grandparents etc out there who have managed to bond just fine with their babies without feeding them....

Like I said, though, they won't ring true for everyone, however it is safest to call them "myths", becasue we deal woth alot of worried mums out there who have their heads filled with these myths and they can create barriers to happy feeding!

Apologies if it sounded like I was having a go - and I appreciate that you did reference the list so they weren't things you were making up off the top of your head I was just thinking of my own personal experiences when I posted- I was fortunate enough to have an easy breastfeeding experience with DD, I would let her sleep during the night for as long as possible, DH fed her EBM from 2 weeks onwards once a day without any issues, and sometimes I did feel resentful having to get up numerous times a night to feed!
Two little girls under 2!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:40pm

Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

Really Annie?! I totally thought that was gospel! Is it just that stress inhibits letdown then?

i certainly thought those things could contribute to a poor supply. come give us more info Fats!

Sorry, been offline for a whole week!!! They can certainly be contributing factors and all three togethrr might make for poor supply, and yes., stress will make let down a bit slower, but poor supply is usually caused by lots of things such as - clock feeding instead of demand feeding, not feeding enough on one side before offering the other side, too short feeds, skipping feeds (not waking your sleeping new baby or giving a bottle of formula or ebm at night and not pumping to make up for lost feed), the list goes on.

Diet and liquid intake have no effect really, Baby (and body) takes to your detriment, same as if you can't eat while you are pg cops of sickness. The body (and baby) take nutirents etc from your own stores. Even women in food lacking nations manage to feed their children...

Tiredness also, no effect, although not having a good diet can contribute to tiredness as well,

sheesh, toby was really abnormal then.. he was clock fed and given a dummy at less than a week old and none of that affected my supply (oh and i used to wake him to feed)... just goes to show really doesnt it that even tho there may be some basis for fact not all Myths are that!

Thats cos you like to go against the grain, Biz!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:42pm

[QUOTE=fattartsrock] [QUOTE=Febgirl] [QUOTE=fattartsrock] BREASTFEEDING MYTHS

Apologies if it sounded like I was having a go - and I appreciate that you did reference the list so they weren't things you were making up off the top of your head I was just thinking of my own personal experiences when I posted- I was fortunate enough to have an easy breastfeeding experience with DD, I would let her sleep during the night for as long as possible, DH fed her EBM from 2 weeks onwards once a day without any issues, and sometimes I did feel resentful having to get up numerous times a night to feed!

Not at all! I just wanted to make it clear tht I hadn't made these up, lol, that they were reserched myths!
and I appreciate, like I said that it dosen't apply to all! And I still feel resentful gettign up to my kids in the night, lol!
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:44pm

Thats cos you like to go against the grain, Biz!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by baalamb baalamb wrote:

fattarts, can you please define what it means for breastfeeding to be "established"? I've wondered this for a while. Does it only refer to your supply? How does one know when the establishment has happened? Ta

"established" breastfeeding is about 4 to 6 weeks, Your true milk is in in full by 4 to 6 weeks, milk prior to about 4 or so weeks is still alot of colostrum as well, by 4 to 6 weeks, it is regarded as "mature" and by then you usually have things sort of sussed by then, and hopefully painfree and stuff. Baby latches well and properly and is feeding well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

I think good daddy baby bonding can occur via nappy changing

Oh hell yeah!!!
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Aliasmum Aliasmum wrote:

Yeah, or that the whole areola should be in baby's mouth - my babies mouths aren't that huge!

Hehe that is what I was meaning, just in case I've got abnormal boobs I wasn't going to say it too loud!

If bubs had their lip on the bottom of my areola the nipples is no where near their mouths.

woohoo!! So its not just me who has that problem!! I had to get nipple shields cos she wouldnt take it in properly, too big and squishy for her teeny little mouth She feeds perfectly with them so I'm keeping it this way for now lol
Brandon - 05/12/2003

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Babykatnz Babykatnz wrote:

Originally posted by Aliasmum Aliasmum wrote:

woohoo!! So its not just me who has that problem!! I had to get nipple shields cos she wouldnt take it in properly, too big and squishy for her teeny little mouth She feeds perfectly with them so I'm keeping it this way for now lol

when my husband heard that at antenatal classes he looked at me and cracked up laughing - mine arent small either!

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 9:01pm

So was Lauren lol She was only fed expressed milk for the first two weeks via bottle (due to failure to latch properly), woken every three hours day and night due to jaunders (sp?), and had a dummy!

Good news was by 6 weeks she was exclusively b/f, I had a fantastic supply of milk and managed to b/f till 7 months after an absolute nightmare introduction to b/f!!

I hope my little story gives someone hope that it DOES get better!

On a side note I am liking all this info and help on OhBaby now that is available to new Mums!! Sometimes b/f does not come naturally (and I know only too damn well lol)!!!
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Having small boobs doesn't mean you can't feed or won't have enough milk. I'm only an A cup and both times I have had huge over supply problems.

Same here! BFing only got easy once my supply settled down at around 3 or so months.

Also agree with the "weight will fall off" one - yeah right!

Also - the chin must tuck in tight next to the breast - Campbell never did this well, I also figured that if it didn't hurt, it was all good!
SarahP08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahP08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 1:56pm
I ended up expressing for six months and my boobs are very saggy and soft

and now my baby is awake...

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 2:40pm
Pregnancy makes your boobs soft and saggy as during pregnancy the fat deposits disappear to make way for milk production, so even those who don't bf end up with saggy soft ones. (or so someone told me anyway, could be another myth to make us feel better)

SarahP08 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahP08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 6:47pm
Ha thanks cuppatea that makes me feel much better how I wish the 'baby weight will magically disappear' myth was true!!

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 8:48pm
I dont think I saw "if you have a c-section you cant breastfeed". I was so worried I wasnt going to be able to feed as I had a section, didnt get skin to skin with Jake for over 2 hours and his tummy was so full of mucus he would latch on and suck for a couple of seconds and go back to sleep. With lots of hard work for the first 3 days of waking for feeding, hand expressing and then pumping every 3 hours my milk did come in.. phew.

I was also told that leaking does not mean you have oversupply just an active letdown.. is this true?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>