FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCommon Breastfeeding Myths

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Common Breastfeeding Myths
    Posted: 02 August 2009 at 9:01pm
Ive got a whole stack, ready to email to Emma, so she can pretty them up, but if you can think of any, Feel free to post. I'll start with some that aren't on the list, but often come up in "class".

If your breasts are soft, you have no milk

Same thing if you don't leak

I'm too skinny to brestfeed, may baby will starve

The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 9:49pm
Ok, Ill copy and paste, am offline for a few days in about 5 mins, am taking my dinosaur in for a fix up. Feel free to ask any questions aobut the yths although I wont be around tilla bout wednesday of thursday, I am happy to answer then!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2009 at 9:50pm
BREASTFEEDING MYTHS

Frequent breastfeeding leads to poor milk production, a weak let down response and ultimately to unsuccessful breastfeeding

If your baby wants to feed all the time it means you don’t have enough milk or your milk is no good

A mother should only feed 4 to 6 times a day to maintain a good supply

Babies get all the milk they need in the first ten minutes

A breastfeeding other should space her feedings so her breasts have time to refill

Your breasts run out of milk, especially in the late afternoon

Never wake a sleeping baby

Babies need to be fed on a strict routine right form birth and not demand fed, otherwise baby will be spoilt and mother run ragged

If baby is not rapidly gaining weight, the mother’s milk is no good

If you couldn’t breastfeed your first baby, you won’t be able to feed any others

Breastfeeding makes your boobs saggy

Poor supply is due to stress, tiredness and bad diet and liquid intake

“Comfort” sucking has no scientific basis or benefit

Nipple confusion doesn’t exist

Frequent breastfeeding leads to post natal depression

Demand feeding makes a mother resentful

You must always make baby drink both breasts at each feed

Other members of the family need to feed the baby so they can bond as well

Some babies are allergic to their mother’s milk

Breastfeeding beyond 1 is of little value as breast milk quality declines after 16 months

Refs
La Leche League Common breastfeeding myths doc
Annie Thompson Myths Lesson PCP Doc
AuntieSarah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AuntieSarah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 9:40am
The Baby whisperer book has a good bit of rubbish in it: says the the first 5-10 mins of a breast feed is the 'quencher', foremilk starts 5-8 minutes into the feed, and hind milk starts 15-18 minutes into the feed.

This used to concern me quite a bit as my boy has only ever fed for around 5 minutes at a time - 10 at the most. Well he still does this, is still exclusively bf at 5.5 months and is healthy and has always steadily put on weight. Boo to the baby whisperer.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 1:42pm
I always liked the "breastfeeding is 100% painless and pleasant" thing. YEAH RIGHT!! Its damn hard, very uncomfortable but gets better and after a while it is 95% painless
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 8:37pm
What about "big boobs = plenty of milk, small boobs = not enough milk"

Whatever!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 8:55pm
"You must have skin to skin contact within the 1st hour to breastfeed"

"if you smoke you won't be able to produce enough breastmilk"

"you can't get pregnant while breastfeeding"

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2009 at 10:08pm
lol the cant get pregnant while breastfeeding. I got pregnant while breastfeeding AND on the minipill. When my mother told my nana she said ' but isnt she still breastfeeding' My nana was a maternity nurse just goes to show you what the believed to be true
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2009 at 5:37am
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

I always liked the "breastfeeding is 100% painless and pleasant" thing. YEAH RIGHT!! Its damn hard, very uncomfortable but gets better and after a while it is 95% painless

I concur
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2009 at 8:48am
How about "if you can't get anything out with a breast pump it means you don't have any milk" - such a source of stress when you're new to it all.

Originally posted by fattartsrock fattartsrock wrote:

Really Annie?! I totally thought that was gospel! Is it just that stress inhibits letdown then?

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
gypsynita View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gypsynita Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 5:10pm

HA! kinda like the old ante-natal video classic - "if baby's latched properly it won't hurt" - riiight...
Anita
Mum to Cian (Aug 08), Josh (Jun 10)

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 9:13pm

Tell that to my right nipple...it will disagree at the moment due to what I call "Wax on Wax off" feeding...
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 9:14pm
Oh the one that gets me is about putting baby's lip on the bottom of the areola & that will be the basis of a good latch......hmmmmm yeah ok they obviously didn't look at a range of boobs when coming up with that one!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 9:44pm
Yeah, or that the whole areola should be in baby's mouth - my babies mouths aren't that huge!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 8:20am
Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

Really Annie?! I totally thought that was gospel! Is it just that stress inhibits letdown then?

i certainly thought those things could contribute to a poor supply. come give us more info Fats!

Febgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Febgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 12:53pm

BREASTFEEDING MYTHS

Never wake a sleeping baby

Nipple confusion doesn’t exist

Demand feeding makes a mother resentful

Other members of the family need to feed the baby so they can bond as well

I believe there is basis to all of these - maybe not 100% of the time or in every circumstance, but I wouldn't call them myths.
Two little girls under 2!

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Yeah, or that the whole areola should be in baby's mouth - my babies mouths aren't that huge!

haha so true! i quickly learnt that one did not apply to me
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

LOL I'm with you on that one Emma!

My favourite is the "you must have loads of milk with your huge boobs." Unfortunately, no I didn't in the end
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 2:20pm
If you breastfeed all the baby weight will fall off -- yeah right!! If you're like me you will get so hungry that none will come off til you stop breastfeeding!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

Originally posted by weegee weegee wrote:

i certainly thought those things could contribute to a poor supply. come give us more info Fats!

Sorry, been offline for a whole week!!! They can certainly be contributing factors and all three togethrr might make for poor supply, and yes., stress will make let down a bit slower, but poor supply is usually caused by lots of things such as - clock feeding instead of demand feeding, not feeding enough on one side before offering the other side, too short feeds, skipping feeds (not waking your sleeping new baby or giving a bottle of formula or ebm at night and not pumping to make up for lost feed), the list goes on.

Diet and liquid intake have no effect really, Baby (and body) takes to your detriment, same as if you can't eat while you are pg cops of sickness. The body (and baby) take nutirents etc from your own stores. Even women in food lacking nations manage to feed their children...

Tiredness also, no effect, although not having a good diet can contribute to tiredness as well,
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>