FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYour advice re: cloth vs disposable?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Glag2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glag2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your advice re: cloth vs disposable?
    Posted: 07 August 2009 at 4:43pm
Hi I have a 15month old DD who has always worn disposable nappies, I never pay full price for them and use a few different brands. We are hoping to have another Baby soon, DD hopefully will be toliet trained by the time another babe comes.
I would like to try using Cloth nappies[the white ones], but have had several people tell me that it doesnt end up cheaper, and we would find it hard without a dryer to dry them.
Is there anyone out there is could telll me what they think reguarding the price compared to disposable after washing, soakling, liners.. And how hard they are to get dry in winter.
Thanks
Sponsored Links

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 5:29pm
if by white ones you mean flats, they are easy! Dry overnight on a clothes rack (folded in half to fit). Plus, you use them for so many other things (drop cloths, spill cloths etc) that they really are worth having. I combine my flats with yoyo nappy covers, OSFA which is great.
febbabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote febbabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 5:35pm
We use cloth nappies and don't have a dryer. I dry them outside if its sunny enough or at night in front of the heater.
Easy
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 5:35pm
Hi LovelyOne,

Good on you for thinking of using cloth.. Firstly, I would suggest you have a wee squiz at this site - there lots of great info and heaps of lovely ladies happy to answer a myriad of questions
nappynetwork

Secondly, it definetly does not cost you more money using cloth than sposies.. (unless you were buying cute new cloth nappies every week ) My DD is 4.5mths and we have been using cloth exclusively for around 12 weeks.. in that time I calculated I would have spent roughly $350 on sposies and sposie wipes.. now that is nearly half of my stash of cloth nappies paid for.. i don't use alot of powder when washing and there is heaps of ways of getting round using the dryer.. (I dry in front of the fire or in front of the heatpump during the day)

So in terms of how hard they are to dry it really depends on what type of nappy you get as there are lots of options. As I said before why not pop over to TNN to have a look,

I use pockets, which dry in a jiffy.. inserts are microfibre and cotton flat nappies ( flats dry super quick)

HTH in the meantime - I'm sure another awesome lady here will be able to give you more info, I just gotta go tend to a hungry baby ATM
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 6:45pm
LovelyOne I was never ever going to use cloth and I had all the excuses in the book, but then I was sucked in by just how much nicer cloth must be against a tooshie (and how cute they are!)

I have pocket mcns however, not the flat whites (coffee anyone?), but I don't use the drier on any of the nappy stuff, instead I just biff 'em up over the clothes rack and hey presto! I get up in the morning to dry nappies :)
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2009 at 6:48pm
nappies dont require soaking and if you want liners there are cheaper alternatives... i dont think that cloth is more expensive, some trying saying that by the time you wash etc... but cloth and how they are washed has changed a lot.

Glag2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glag2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2009 at 8:39pm
Awesome thanks very much everyone,My mind is made up. Flat whites it is.
Just got to have another bub now
whitewave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitewave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2009 at 10:48pm
Another cost involved with disposables that no one ever thinks of is the increased number of expensive council rubbish bags you have to buy! Cloth definitely works out cheaper in the long run.
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by LovelyOne LovelyOne wrote:

Awesome thanks very much everyone,My mind is made up. Flat whites it is.
Just got to have another bub now

Just wanted to add that there are MANY alternatives to flat whites when it comes to cloth nappies! You could make it easier on yourself and STILL save money over disposables if you went for modern cloth nappy. I don't think I would have even tried cloth nappies if flat whites had been my only choice but my youngest baby has been in cloth since birth (a combination of pocket nappies, fitteds & all-in-ones) and I love them

The point about rubbish collection is a good one. We switched to cloth when our second baby was 5mths old and downgraded our wheelie bin from 240 litres per week to 120 litres per week without disposables!

Vic xx

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 2:40pm
A friend of mine uses flat whites folded up i Ecobots covers and loves it . We have used Ecobots from days one and got some fitteds as DD started walking.

Def check out the websites recommended.
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 4:34pm
we use ecobots as they reminded me of flat whites that my mother used to use and we love them!!!! The inserts that come with ecobots do however take a wee bit longer to dry than flat whites. But ive been known to stuff the covers with flatwhites too. We have never had leakage (after newborn poos that is) and now for us cloth work better than disposables as disposables often leak at night but cloth never do. Soon we will have two in cloth and im thinking i may just get a few more covers and inserts etc since i have more than saved the money. I tried convincing dh to pay me all the money i have saved my using cloth and by breastfeeding so that i could spend it on something for me. Sadly he was not convinced
jano1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jano1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2009 at 1:08pm
I'm not sure where you live but lots of councils (and Yoyo nappies I see) offer trial kits. These come with a range of different nappy types so you can try before buying. From memory I think you get a kit (with everything you need) for about 6 weeks and the cost is really reasonable.
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2009 at 12:10am
This is kinda an old post put I just thought I'd add my 2 cents
MIL gave me a lovely pile of flats.
I made pocket nappies, got everything I need from www.greenbeans.co.nz., and a pattern from the nappy network site. You need basic sewing skills (or someone who will sew them for you).
They ended up costing about $5 each from memory, I started with 10 and eventually made 2 more.
I use the flats to go in the pocket as an insert.
When Jody was teeny we used the flats in the normal way and used the pocket nappies as a cover. She fit them in the normal way from 6 weeks and she still fits them now.
I'm with the others, the flats dry overnight on a rack, I used to put the covers in the hot water cupboard, they dry super fast anyway.
So for just $60ish, I have my bubba's bottom covered for over 9 months so far. I do use one disposable over night because she piddles like a firehose in her sleep. But still, a packet of nappies lasts a loooong time!
 Post Reply Post Reply