FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedQ for those with dairy free toddlers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Q for those with dairy free toddlers
    Posted: 15 August 2009 at 7:16pm
Eimear is still dairy free. She is still on 2 bottles of soy formula a day but is ready to drop that morning bottle as most times she'll only take about 50mls.
I'm a bit reluctant to drop it as Soy milk isn't recommended as a main source of calcium for under 2's.

Along with things like Almond butter and broccoli, she has soy yogurts and sometimes a smoothie (150ml soy milk, banana & berries) during the day.

If I was to drop that morning bottle I would probably just replace it with a smoothie.

So I'm just wondering what other dairy free toddlers were having at this age.

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 7:26pm
Hi, Spencer is on neocate which is the prescription formula. I'm not sure why you are on soy formula as our paed was dead against Spencer having even soy milk to supplement the neocate, he has a little soy yoghurt but the doc said not to over do it with that either.

Anyway Spencer dropped down to one cup of neocate a day (200ml) at 19 months and then he has no other milk at all, he did use to have rice milk in weetbix but has gone off that. We saw the paed just after we had dropped to the one milk feed and he said that was fine and that he could wean off it altogether. He's still having the morning one though as he's still asking for it, plus I have many many tins of neocate in my cupboard cos you get the script in 3 month lots so am happy for him to use them all up.

tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 8:45pm
We've no history of allergies in the family. Intolerances yes but not allergies.
And her reactions were never severe enough to be classified as an allergy by a GP or by the Paed from NICU we were with for their first year. While this was very frustrating as it was happening, now I find it much easier to deal with. She has improved and can can tolerate minor amounts. So I guess it's just a waiting game for now.

That's good to know about how things went with Spencer. I would love to drop that morning bottle for both of them.
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 9:28pm
Sam still has one Soy Formula bottle a day usually in the afternoon, plus some soy yoghurt and usually a small cup of soy milk as well most days. She is the same as Eimear in the respect that it is not classified as an Allergy, but she still can't tolerate dairy.

When we dropped the morning bottle it was for the same reason and as a bonus she ate much more of her breakfast which is what I wanted her to do

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 10:07pm
Maybe it is more of a concern for boys having the soy as I've heard it can make them grow boobies cos of the hormones in it (they recommend it for post menopausal women because of it, but not so good otherwise).

I don't mind the morning one, Spencer has that whilst I have my coffee then I make breakfast

Yep Spencer is slowly out growing his allergy, his skin prick test is now neg to everything except peanuts but if he has too much dairy or egg he flares up, he can tolerate both in baking in small amounts so that's good and a good sign that hopefully it won't be too much longer till he out grows it completely.

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2009 at 10:13pm
Eva is allergic to both dairy and soy, so is on neocate formula, which has all the calcium in it she needs. Saying that she responded ok to a dairy trial, so we're introducing small amounts of dairy now which is going well. So I'm not much help I'm sorry!!

Kim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2009 at 2:12pm
Samara has just turned 2 and had her follow-up appointment with her allergist a few months ago. She has a sippy cup in the morning and one before bed. I was going to drop the morning soy milk drink but she told me to keep doing it for the calcium. I buy the calcium enriched soy milk which is kept in the fridge with all the other milk.

Dried apricots are also a source of calcium.
Zac Mark - 30.11.05
Samara Ailsa - 13.08.07
 Post Reply Post Reply