FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLiving with a chronically unwell child

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 6:42pm
Hugs NZpiper (and James ). Fingers crossed the antibiotics have kicked in and you have a better night tonight.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2009 at 9:00pm
Hearing test reports arrived today. We already knew what they were going to say, but seeing it in black and white is still pretty depressing. Plus Mercedes ear is pouring gunk and she spent all afternoon asleep on the couch miserable
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 5:00pm
Bummer. That stinks for you and for wee 'Cedes.
Andie
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2009 at 7:18pm
Maya, I can 'sort-of' relate, I've got one little boy who is chronically ill.....I don't know how you cope with 3 of them!

My son was born far too early and his main problems are that he's got a complex heart defect and chonic lung disease (he is on home oxygen).

I call him my bubble boy. Whenever we go out, he MUST be in his pram with a storm cover covering him. We cannot have anyone near us who is ill, even a runny nose could lead to a chest infection or pneumonia for him.   

On our way up to Starship, we were out in the general public for the first time without a storm cover (for obvious reasons we couldn't take the pram on the plane). Right on cue, Jacob caught a bug and ended up with pneumococcal pneumonia, spending 5 days in PICU. I have certainly learnt from this, and the next time we HAVE to be out in the general public, my son will be wearing a mask!

'Normal' life for us is listening out for beeps from his monitor that is consistantly recording his saturation levels and heart rate. My son is a great sleeper, but unfortunately, his monitor is not!

It is certainly a lot more difficult looking after a child who isn't healthy.

I have meet some amazing people through the Ronald McDonald House who have been through much much worse than what my family is going through and who still manage to cope. They are really an inspiration and I try to think of them when I'm having a bad day.

The other way I cope is by being thankful for having both sons at home together. My youngest son has spent 5 1/2 months out of 8 1/2 months in hospital.

I didn't want to take over your post, but wanted to share my story to try and help you

Sorry to hear about the hearing test report.

Edited by NikkiB
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2009 at 9:04pm
Hugs Nikki, it must be really difficult for you, and for your boys as well. A friend had a micropreemie (24 weeker) and it is definitely more than a full time job.

I got a letter from WINZ today, they want me to sign a consent for them to talk to our doctor about Chiara for the Child Disability Allowance. I'm undecided as yet whether I'm going to sign it, part of me wants to tell them to sod off as our doctor signed the forms initially and it's just more mucking around. But then part of me thinks it's not worth arguing about either. I guess I just don't think the goverment should have the right to access my baby's private medical records. Not that they're all that private - I have 13 sets of hospital/ED discharge papers, 2 sets of post-op notes from grommet surgery plus if I got a print out from the ENT doc it would show she has been there on a fortnightly basis at least since May...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
drumstx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumstx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2009 at 10:34pm
nikki,
i really feel for u and hope that he is getting stronger every day. I have a sone 16mths with 'jackitis' thus named because no one knows wot is wrong, we do know he has neutropenia ( lack of neutrophils or kind of white cells) so he also cant fight bugs and he has ng tube because he has stopped eating since june this year and lost weight, he doesnt seem to be absorbing foods again unsure yet why... we are in the dark with most of the things with jack and it is very frustrating but the bubble line that u wrote struck a cord with me, as this is my life most of the time also. Lots of hugs and i hope that u are getting the support that u deserve
caro h
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:40am
Thanks Caro. to you too. Gosh, I can't even imagine how frustrating it is not knowing what is wrong with him (well, not been giving a medical term for what is wrong with him). My son is also ng feed, as he also stopped taking the bottle in June!

Do you have a good support network? It can a very lonely place, when you've got a very sick little one.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
drumstx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drumstx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 4:46pm
we have not long been in hamilton so not really have the homecare workers that come but havent had a chance to really meet anyone yet but that ok i have my friends in dannevirke that call often and that is good. does your little one get infections from his tube , have been in hosp last week with one side infected and now the tube on the otha side and it is getting infected also? we use duradurm tape but he still getting them. wot do you use?
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 5:38pm
Oh dear, no I've never had his tube become infected Something to be aware of. I use hypafix tape to secure it in place. Do you change his ng tube often? My DS seems to pull his out about once a week, so I always put a new one in.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 9:20pm
Just wanted to say big hugs to everyone out there with sick kiddies. I know how it feels, although in our case it is constant viruses that are the problem. Gabrielle was born 6 weeks early and seems to be susceptable to every bug that comes along. She's had 7 bouts of bronchiolitis since May - it seems that we get about 4 or 5 "well" days in between each bout. Even though the doc keeps telling me it should only last 3-5 days, the worst seems to take 7-10 days and then she has a terrible cough pretty much constantly. We have had 3 admissions to hospital and an ng tube (only briefly). Each time she gets sick she spends days just screaming and screaming. The last time we were in hospital we were in a 4 bed room and she kept all the other kids up all night which was terrible.

I've taken Gabrielle to a herbalist to try and find something to boost up her immune system and she's on cod liver oil (apparently its an anti-inflamatory) as well. She also has reflux so we've got slippery elm for that to see if it helps.

Its so hard to see my smiley happy baby underneath all the screaming when she's not well. My work are starting to be rotten too - they were good the first couple of times she was sick but now I have run out of sick leave and used next year's sick leave too they are less sympathetic. I am having to work from home doing a full week's work round Gabrielle which mostly means working 5amish in the morning or after I get her to sleep at night round her waking up crying.

Sorry - this wasn't meant to be a pity party for me. Just wanted to say I know how hard it is and that I hope everyone knows what super mummies they are. Its not easy being a mum, but its 10 times harder being the mum of a sick child.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 6:17am
shelt. It just not fair sometimes, is it. Hope the herbalist is able to help Gabrielle. Have you thought about acupuncture for Gabrielle? I use to take my oldest son to acupuncture when he was unwell (just 'normal' colds when he was a baby) and it worked really really well. Food for thought....
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 7:32pm
I hadn't thought about an acupuncturist NikkiB but maybe I should try that. I am already taking her to the chiropractor but so far it doesn't seem to have had any impact. Thanks for that.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 7:18am
Not a problem at all I'm a big believer in acupuncture and just love having it done. If only I had the time now........
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2009 at 8:51pm
PMSL - I'm just trying to imagine what the gremlins would think of acupuncture - probably something best started when they are too young to complain about it

Hugs Drumstx, having a permanent NG tube must be tough There are support groups for tube fed babies online, not sure where exactly but one of the girls I work with had a little boy that was NG tube fed for several months and she mentioned it.

How is Jacob doing Nikki?

Shelt - Gabrielle sounds a lot like my girls - virus after virus after virus (altho they tend to get the nasty bacterial infections in between viruses lol!), it gets exhausting after a while! Fortunately, I have a nanny so I can work even when the kids are sick, if they were in childcare they'd have more time off than there I'd say. Having the nanny also means we can minimise their exposure to bugs, altho the gremlins have just started preschool so will be interesting to see how that goes...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2009 at 12:55pm
Maya, they don't keep the acupuncture needles in children (unlike us adults), the needle goes in and then out again. My son (when he was about 8 months old), knew something had happened, but didn't know what. He didn't cry or anything, he just looked perplexed lol.

Thanks for asking about Jacob. *Touch Wood*, he's good at the mo. We found out on Friday that they are going to try a full heart repair in Feb

Are your gremlins enjoying preschool?
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2009 at 2:38pm
Wow exciting! And scary at the same time - but how awesome!

The girls are doing OK, not great - they screamed when I dropped them off, but they'll get the hang of it.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12