FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFormula causing dark green poo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mountaingirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mountaingirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Formula causing dark green poo
    Posted: 09 September 2009 at 5:24pm
My 8-week-old is about 90% formula fed although still getting a little bit of breastmilk. I have noticed in the last couple of weeks his poo has changed and is very dark green - it was just every now and then but is now more constant. I am pretty sure the formula is causing it as he still has some parts that look like "breast milk poo" and the green parts are a lot firmer like formula bowel motions (if that makes sense).. I mentioned it to Plunket and they didn't seem too concerned - said that it was the extra iron in the formula that isn't absorbed. It is hard to tell if it is upsetting him as he is generally quite settled but has his moments. We are using s26 gold formula - has anyone had any experience of this or can suggest maybe a better formula?
Sponsored Links

monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 5:40pm
we are s-26 anti reflux and has been pretty much since birth cos he cant keep unthickened liquid down. my plunket lady told me that if it is dark green his tummy is working really hard and to add a wee bit more water to his formula. and try give him 10ml of water or so before each feed (has to be before their bottle when they are really hungry or they wont eat it apparently) she said that babies that are breast-fed dont normally have problems but it might not be enough breatmilk to keep things running smoothly.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 6:42pm
Apparently the gold formulas can be quite bad for constipating so you could try switching to the standard one. Green poos can also be a sign of an allergy but you would notice other things as well, like unsettledness, constipation, eczema (maybe not all but some of them). If you think it might be an allergy then you could switch to either HA or try goats milk formula.

hannibal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hannibal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 9:05pm
Hi we used the S26 gold to start with as well and quickly changed to the more basic one. The golds are quite hard for the bubs to absorb. We actually changed on advise from my MW and the Plunket to the Karicare and haven't had any issues at all.
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2009 at 10:48pm
We used NAN HA in the beginning (and now regular NAN Pro) and C's poos were quite a dark olive-y green. They didn't really change till we had almost given up BF altogether. It's a totally normal colour for some formulas - all my friends' bubs who were on HA formula had the same colour poo    As soon as we switched to the non-HA stuff his poos changed to a more "normal" colour (yellowy brown) and stayed like that till he went on to solids. Don't ask me what they're like now
Georgiegirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Georgiegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 7:56am
hmmmm good thread to read.... there is so much to learn about having a baby.... and hearing these stories really for warns....

I LOVE THIS SITE.

TTC#2
8th round of clomid 100mg
1 failed IUI.
Waiting for IVF now.
Nicola_1975 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicola_1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 6:43pm
Thank you so much for your posts. We are also using S26 gold and I've been stressing thinking there might be something wrong with my wee man but when I've said to my MW or Plunket Nurse they said not to worry. I knew his poo wasn't normal. Will be off to buy non gold formula tomorrow.
 Post Reply Post Reply