FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo all rhesus negative women – A Must Rea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by SophieD SophieD wrote:

Jus thought I would update this post to let you know that Lower Hutt Hospital has now made the anti D injections at 28 and 32 weeks protocol. I think they did it last month, so still pretty recent. I have been offered them this time round but only because my mw's student had just been to a lecture on them at school, so was up to date with the news.

I think she said Lower Hutt was still only the 2nd hospital to make it protocol in nz?

But a good sign of things to come hopefully :-)

That's awesome! Hopefully the rest of the country follows suite soon!!
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 6:27pm
I've just had my jab this morning at 36 weeks, here in Australia it's routine to have it at 28 and 36 weeks. I've had 4 positive babies so far, and statistically this bub is likely to be positive too as DH is Maori and I was reading in the MoH literature after I had the last bub that 98.5% of people of Maori descent are positive. I've had more aggressive antibody testing in the past couple of weeks as I've developed polyhydramnios which an be a sign of isoimmunisation. All negative which is good, but better safe than sorry...
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 9:06pm
I hope they don't make giving anti-d during pregnancy routine, this is my 3rd pregnancy and I was given anti-d after the birth of my daughter.

First lot of bloods are negative for antibodies will get tested at 28 and 34 weeks as per last time. I prefer to take a wait and see approach rather than being given a blood product that I don't needs.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I hope they don't make giving anti-d during pregnancy routine, this is my 3rd pregnancy and I was given anti-d after the birth of my daughter.

First lot of bloods are negative for antibodies will get tested at 28 and 34 weeks as per last time. I prefer to take a wait and see approach rather than being given a blood product that I don't needs.

You could still opt not to have the anti-D, it isn't compulsory.
But remember....once you have the antibodies you can't get rid of them.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 11:15pm
That was my approach too Caliandjack, I declined the 28 week one as my antibodies were all negative and I hadn't had any bleeding, but after the polyhydramnios was diagnosed the Maternal Fetal Medicine doc told me it's possible to have a 'silent bleed' with no external symptoms. So I decided to go ahead and have the 36-week one.

I think it's good that it's routine so people have the choice, but it does need to be an informed decision, so it's important that mums-to-be are given enough info to be able to decide for themselves.

The MFM doc was pretty unimpressed that I'd declined the 28-week one, but I stand by my decision - at that stage, for me the circumstances didn't warrant it.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2012 at 4:24pm
I am stoked to see this thread still going and that Hutt Hospital are offering Anti-D at 28 & 32 weeks Awesome!

A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2012 at 7:44pm
hi ladies. im rh neg and found out wen i was preg wit ds1 who is nw 6. ive had to have the anti d after bth my kids. nw preggy wit number 3 and just seen this post. wat is the benefit of having anti d during the pregnacy rather than waiting til after?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 12:00am
Originally posted by chonny chonny wrote:

hi ladies. im rh neg and found out wen i was preg wit ds1 who is nw 6. ive had to have the anti d after bth my kids. nw preggy wit number 3 and just seen this post. wat is the benefit of having anti d during the pregnacy rather than waiting til after?

Having the anti-D during your pregnancy will stop you from developing anti-D antibodies in the event you have a silent bleed. I had a silent bleed(not seen, no external signs) during my 2nd pregnancy sometime between 28wks and 36wks and because my son is Rh+ I developed anti-bodies. Had I received the anti-D during that time I wouldn't have the anti-bodies.
It is a preventive measure, a "just in case" if you like. Having the anti-D after birth only happens when baby's blood type has been tested and confirmed as Rh+. If you have anti-bodies by then it is too late, you can't get rid of them once they are there.

Hope that helps
Piglet13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Piglet13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2012 at 8:59pm
I to an rh- had the anti-d in the UK after a bleed, and was supposed to have one at 32 weeks if i was still in the UK, i moved to nz when i was 22 weeks midwife here said they dont normally do the anti-d unless u have a bleed or after birth if baby is rh+, so after birth if baby ends up being rh+ and you need the anti-d do you have to pay for it? Im so used to health care being free in the UK
Lease243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lease243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 2:40pm
Hi There, I am Rhesus negative, I am not pregnant yet, still waiting to TTC but was wondering if a Rhesus negative pregnancy is counted as high risk? Do you get any additional help or medical professionals because of it or can a midwife cover it on their own? Thanks
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 3:31pm
im RH- and have never been treated any diff with any of my pregnancies and now on #3

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Rickers Rickers wrote:

] I to an rh- had the anti-d in the UK after a bleed, and was supposed to have one at 32 weeks if i was still in the UK, i moved to nz when i was 22 weeks midwife here said they dont normally do the anti-d unless u have a bleed or after birth if baby is rh+, so after birth if baby ends up being rh+ and you need the anti-d do you have to pay for it? Im so used to health care being free in the UK

It's free. ive had to have it with both my babies, but then my MW is free, so not sure if it is different if you are not a citizen??

Lease243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lease243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 February 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by chonny chonny wrote:

im RH- and have never been treated any diff with any of my pregnancies and now on #3
Is your husband RH + though? because if not then it isn't a risk. Only if you are -ve and he is +ve.
Angel Baby Nov '13
BFP Dec '13 DD1 born July 2014 at 35 weeks

Mrs. Sinclair April '17
TTC #2 since May '17
southerngirrrrl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote southerngirrrrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2013 at 6:44am
I am Rh-ve and didn't have anti D with my 1st child. A sample if his cord blood was taken and he was also Rh -ve. I had 2 terminations in my 20's and had it then. I am now preg with my 2nd and planning on taking the same approach again.. Waiting and having the babies blood type tested after birth.
emmakm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emmakm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 9:20pm
I had anti-d in my last pregnancy, I had quite a few bleeds and I took a better to be safe than sorry approach. At birth, discovered DD is O+, just like her Daddy, so was given anti-d then too.

Nothing extra special about being rhesus negative, unless you develop antibodies, in which case I think you are considered high risk and receive extra care... not sure what though, as haven't had experience...

Talz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2013 at 9:00pm
Hi, I'm Rh- and I'm not sure what hubby is?! But we are just preg with #2. With my first pregnancy I had no complications, just routine bloods etc. didn't get any injections throughout the pregnancy. I think when I brought up with midwife she said would be sorted after birth and not to worry. So when my son was born they tested his cord blood and it came back he was Rh- as well, so they said I didn't need the Anti-D.
But I'm glad I've read this thread and might brooch the midwife on this topic again in this pregnancy too!

Lease243 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lease243 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2013 at 6:26am
Yea Talz I think they have changed the process for this recently so now you are meant to get it during pregnancy too and especially if you have a bleed. I'm RH- too.
Angel Baby Nov '13
BFP Dec '13 DD1 born July 2014 at 35 weeks

Mrs. Sinclair April '17
TTC #2 since May '17
sandra134696 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandra134696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 1:59pm
I got told I am RH- after the first bloodtest at 6 weeks.
I didn't have a midwife at that stage because we only just found
Out that I was pregnant.so this nurse from the medical centre rings me and gave me a bit of a fright because she only said that I am RH- and need to get a vaccination if I have a bleed.so found myself a MW straight away and she explained it a bit better.she has told me I only need the shot after birth if our baby is +.
We are almost 33 weeks now and cant wait for our little girl to arrive.

Edited by sandra134696 - 13 December 2013 at 5:16pm
Pitter patter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitter patter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 2:53pm
Hi talz, Sandra and lease. I'm RH- too and my partner is RH+. I'm 19 weeks pregnant and going by my due in group there are still only a couple of places offering standard antibody shots during preg in nz, in other countries theyes do offer these. Just need a shot if you have any spotting, I did have some at 7 week's but midwife said it's more of an issue after 8 weeks as placenta takes over. Also after birth if bubs RH+. I did have an antibody shot during my last miscarriage. I've found its good to remind medical professionals as sometimes they forget.

Edited by Pitter patter - 13 December 2013 at 2:56pm

TTC number 2 since April 2011
MC Nov 12
Formally Mamma2one
Pitter patter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pitter patter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2013 at 2:56pm
The reason in other countries they offer routine antibody shots in pregnancy is incase of silent bleeds, will be interesting if it comes in here at some stage.

TTC number 2 since April 2011
MC Nov 12
Formally Mamma2one
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>