FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo all rhesus negative women – A Must Rea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 4:53pm
Hunnybunny, yes they are in addition to the jab after birth. Its to help stop antibodies developing just in case you have a silent bleed.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Sponsored Links

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by NikkiB NikkiB wrote:

bumped for you LostAmber (just in case you have forgotten to mention it to your mw)

Thanks Nikki. I did mention it to my midwife and she said they're not available and not necessary. She seemed really anti them to be honest, I wasn't sure what to think of that
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 6:55pm
I'd say your midwife isn't fully informed...all you need to do is look at my situation.

If you wanted to, you could ring your local DHB and see what your options are.

Up to you, but you could say that you want these injections, even if it means you have to pay for them - surely she can't refuse you then.

The issue is about being well informed and having a choice.

Sorry, I feel very passionate about this because once you've developed antibodies, there is nothing that can be done to get rid of them. We now can't have anymore children because I can't carry a baby long enough for the baby to survive.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
SophieD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SophieD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 7:50pm
I am RH -ve as well. Thanks for the info NikkiB, will def talk to mw about it.

DonnaB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnaB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2010 at 10:22pm
I am O negative too.. 9 years ago I had a D & C in Australia and was given Anti D straight after operation and was told I would need this after each birth..

I guess I was lucky that it was given back then from what I've read because I had bleeding at 16 weeks gestation with DD and was given Anti D. I bled several times throughout the pregnancy but didn't require anymore injections as they last 4 months at a time. DD was born at 34 weeks without any known issues.

It wasn't until I was pregnant with DS that my midwife informed me that the Anti D injection is now given at 28 and 34 weeks but only if showing signs of antibodies.. I had regular blood tests to test this and was fine. My DS was born 10 days overdue - a healthy 8lb 9oz.. Anti D given after birth..

I'm concerned as to why I didn't receive them during this pregnancy even though wasn't showing any antibodies in blood tests.. What a relief that my son was born healthy. I definately will be talking to my midwife about this next time and demanding the injections. At a cost of $120 per injection, this is nothing compared to the cost of caring for an unwell child.

I thank you NikkiB for sharing your story - this will no doubt give a lot of mums something to think about.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:53am
Originally posted by DonnaB DonnaB wrote:

It wasn't until I was pregnant with DS that my midwife informed me that the Anti D injection is now given at 28 and 34 weeks but only if showing signs of antibodies..

Thanks DonnaB

This doesn't make sense, because if antibodies were showing in your blood, then its too late for Anti-D. Anti-D can not get rid of antibodies already built up. I hope your MW is better informed now.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 4:48pm
Would those anti bodies show up in your first set of ante natal blood tests?
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:17pm
Would I need anti-d after having a termination?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by lostAmber lostAmber wrote:

Yes, if you've developed antibodies.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

Would I need anti-d after having a termination?

Its my understanding that you should have anti-d injection after terminations also.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by NikkiB NikkiB wrote:

Originally posted by lostAmber lostAmber wrote:

Yes, if you've developed antibodies.

ok, thanks. so I can assume that even after receiving the AntiD one week after I started bleeding with my m/c that it was still effective given these haven't been identified?
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2010 at 6:53pm
LostAmber, if you've had bloods done since then and there has been no antibodies identified, then I would assume you are ok.

Sorry LostAmber, I hope I haven't made you worry
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 8:31pm
Bumping back to the top!
PixieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2010 at 11:15pm
Thanks NikkiB I'm RH- and nearly 28 weeks. Will be asking for Anti D next week.

1/2/9 (27/8/9)
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2010 at 12:35pm
Yeah I will be asking my MW about it when I see her again (at 30 weeks)

+1 May 09 Angel
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:13am
Well just had my MW appointment.. and have organised to get my Anit D.. Gosh its a bit of a drama to get it, I have to ring the blood people, organise a time to pick it up, pick it up, meet her at the hosp with in 1 hour of picking it up, get her to give it to me, wait 20mins and then I can go! Have to go through it all again at 36w too...
But will all be worth it, so much better to be safe than sorry!

+1 May 09 Angel
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:27am
I'm waiting on the results of my Blood Group test to see if I have any antibodies, it seems it takes a little longer than the other anti natal bloods.

My GP said they don't routinely give anti-D any more, haven't got a MW yet, will be something to add to the list of things to discuss.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 10:53am
CJ, apparently its not routine to do it before 12 weeks any more (well thats what I got told when i spotted at 6w this pregnancy, after having it at 6w with my MC, MW said thats bull though, that you should get it any time you bleed/spot and your rH status has been confirmed). But it is govt policy to do it at 28 and 36w, but the govt wanted the MWs to do it with nothing in place, so from June it will be (according to the letter that got sent ot my MW in Dec last year).
Fight for it if you want it. Totally personal decision. My MW said that shes been a MW since 1991, has had about 80 women a year and non of them have developed anti bodies. I just figure that means shes bound to break that lucky streak sooner or later and thats a pretty good run. Prevention is the best cure if you ask me, and tis not worth the risk (IMHO, everyone is different)

+1 May 09 Angel
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Emmi_ Emmi_ wrote:

Prevention is the best cure if you ask me, and tis not worth the risk

Couldn't agree more

Sounds like you're going to have to do a lot of running around. I'm surprised you are allowed to handle the blood product Mind you, at least you're going to get it now

Its also great to hear that your midwife got a letter about Anti-D. We were hoping the MWs were being updated.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 12:17pm
Yep by the sounds of it all MWs got the letter (saying that from jan 2010 its protocol to give Anti D at 28 and 36w) but there is no procedures in place to do it, like the AntiD has to be given within 1 hour of it being out of the fridge, and it has to be done at the hosp cos of the risk of antephalantic (sp!?) shock and it cant be done at the blood place cos of something else, so I think there is a DHB that is doing the trial system to do it, and so by July it should be able to be put in place over the country. Thats just my understanding from it anyway

+1 May 09 Angel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>