FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo all rhesus negative women – A Must Rea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I'm waiting on the results of my Blood Group test to see if I have any antibodies, it seems it takes a little longer than the other anti natal bloods.

My GP said they don't routinely give anti-D any more, haven't got a MW yet, will be something to add to the list of things to discuss.

The antibodies test does take longer then other maternity bloodtest, it can't be done at the local hospital or lab. I'm in Palmerston North and my test was sent to Wellington (to the bloodservice centre or something!). Had mine 2 wks ago and still waiting to hear the results....not sure if it takes that long, or if the OB is waiting until my appointment to tell me (guessing my MW hasn't had the results as she would call!!)
Sponsored Links

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 4:36pm
I'm in Feilding so I guess my results will be going through the same process.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2010 at 6:31pm
Um.. so I just was reading about my blood type and i'm Rh Negative. So that means when I see my MW next tuesday I should be mentioning this to her?? I didnt even think about it until hubby found a letter from my first preg stating my BT. I'm confused now!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 6:23pm
Your midwife should already have a copy of those first antenatal bloods and know your blood type, but incase she hasn't ordered them, I would definitely let her know- she needs to know!
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 8:12pm
i never had these injections first time round.. how odd.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
PixieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2010 at 10:06pm
Miss A are you sure? I thought it was standard practice to give anti-D to RH neg women after birth. (Sorry hope that didn't sound rude, don't mean to doubt you!)
My midwife has emailed me some stuff she was sent in October 2009. PM me your email if you want it. They don’t seem to be particularly in favour of it although most of their concerns seem to be around the difficulties of administering it. My midwife said it didn’t seem to be available in Canterbury at the moment. I’m sure she’ll make sure I get it if I insist though.

1/2/9 (27/8/9)
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2010 at 7:48am
I know that if tehy had had procols in place to administer it it would be standard practice by jan this year. But because the Anti D only has a 1 hour life span out of the fridge, and it has to be administered in special places (like at the hosp) so that if you react to it then they can do something about it (rather than at the MWs room) and they cant give it at the blood place (I think it was something to do with giving blood products at the blood place so it would be easy to contaminate (not sure with you or you contaminating something else). And then you have to wait 20mins to make sure you dont react.
This difficulty in administring is why I am pretty sure there is one DHB that is trailing a system now, and from July 2010 the protocols around administring it will be sorted out making it the new standard practice.
Sorry if that doesnt make sense?
The letter that my MW had on her notice board, was dated dec 09, and was talking about all that. As the MWs did kick up a stink about having to do this (Which seems like a massive task!) with no procedure in place to enable them to do it...

+1 May 09 Angel
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 4:27pm
Yay Blood Group results came back, and no antibodies so that's good news, means there was no sensitization from my termination.
All I have to do know is keep an eye out for any bleeding etc.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2010 at 6:11pm
That is excellent news caliandjack Good luck with this pregnancy
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
rollergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by NikkiB NikkiB wrote:

It certainly isn’t my intention to scare you, but I want to inform you about your rights.

It has been passed by the Ministry of Health that as a prophylactic treatment, all rhesus negative women are eligible for Anti-D vaccinations at 28 weeks gestation and 32 weeks gestation in addition to having Anti-D after birth and after any obvious bleeds. Some DHB’s may offer this for free, while others may require you to pay (I’ve been told that each injection costs approximately $120 each). I know this may sound a lot, but this may help you decide.

My story….

During my first pregnancy I had a silent bleed (this is where there is no obvious bleeding) sometime after 28 weeks gestation. Through a routine blood test at 37 weeks pregnant, it was discovered that I had already built up antibodies. It was too late for me to have Anti-D to reverse the antibodies – it doesn’t work like that. My antibodies were then passing the placenta and attacking my son’s red blood cells. Thankfully, I was late into my pregnancy, so did not cause too much concern for my son.

My husband and I decided to have another baby. Pretty much through the whole pregnancy my antibodies, that were doubling at an amazing rate, were attacking our son’s red blood cells. We went through a high-risk obstetrician having at least 2 scans a week from 18 weeks gestation (at a cost to the Health System of about $120 a scan). I also had full day IV treatments to help stop my antibodies attacking our son (at a cost of about $6,000 – I had about 7 treatments - once again at the Health System’s expense). Our son also had two blood transfusion whilst in utero – lord knows how much that cost!). After much heartbreak and tears, none of this worked and our son was born at 26 weeks gestation. Because of his extreme prematurity, he has a list of problems. He spent the first 5 months of his life in hospital. Imagine the huge cost to the Health System, not to mention the emotional cost to our immediate and extended family (including friends).

When I was pregnant back in 2007, it was not policy to offer Anti-D to Rhesus negative women at 28 & 32 weeks gestation, apparently the cost was too great. If we were given the option, we would certainly have funded it ourselves. The kicker is, that we were not made aware about the anti-D vaccine.

No messages of sympathy please, we are very very lucky to have our little boy with us, my DH and I just want to stop this happening to other people.
rollergirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rollergirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 3:30pm
Hi, Thanks for your story, glad it all worked out okay. I was just curious now as I am also a Rhesus Neg, I've had the Anti D after both my children, who had their fathers positive blood type and also injections after 2 miscarriages. I am now 36 weeks pregnant with 3rd baby and have not been offered any Anti D at any stage. Is this normal? I think my blood was tested for antibodies at the start though....any comments anyone????
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 3:45pm
It is 'normal', well, was 'normal', not to be offered anti-d until after baby was born or if you have had any obvious bleeds. Now anti-d should be offered to RH- women at 28 & 32 weeks. If you did have any antibodies from your previous pregnancies, then they would have shown at the bloods done at the beginning of your pregnancy. Hope this helps.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 7:48pm
Bumping back to the top!
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by PixieL PixieL wrote:

Miss A are you sure? I thought it was standard practice to give anti-D to RH neg women after birth.

i checked with her at my last appointment and apparently I did have it after birth - was so zonked out after the section that I had no idea! Not having anything til after the next apparently. Not that i'll be having anymore kids however.
Alex, Thomas and Lily
PixieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 12:15pm
Well I've been trying to get anti-D for the last 5 weeks now.
Midwife said she'd follow it up. Sent me info but didn't get my email saying yes I want it. (She doesn't think I need it)
She then faxed through all my details at our last appointment 2 weeks ago. She then asked if the hospital had rung me. They rang her and are not keen to give it to me. They told her they were going to ring me but haven't. I fell over last week and broke my foot- nowhere near my tummy though. They tested me to see if I had any of the baby's blood in my blood (sorry don't know technical term, think this is different from having antibodies though- maybe the step before?) and there were none. They werent keen to test me but I pushed them to do it. So noone will actually say no, they just fob me off and the weeks go by. I hate to say it but I've given up now. If anyone is trying to get access to antiD in Christchurch, good luck!

1/2/9 (27/8/9)
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2010 at 2:04pm
That's really disappointing PixieL As a RH- women, its your right to get Anti-D. Could you make a complaint to someone at the hospital? Personally, I'm not one to complain and don't like doing it, but it can be a way to get want you want????

Sorry to hear you've broken your foot, you poor thing Hope you have a incident free pregnancy from here on in.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
PixieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by NikkiB NikkiB wrote:

It has been passed by the Ministry of Health that as a prophylactic treatment, all rhesus negative women are eligible for Anti-D vaccinations at 28 weeks gestation and 32 weeks gestation.

Hi Nikki
Can you direct me to an official document with this on it? This might give me the 'proof' I need to get them to give me this. Also, my midwife told me today that they have stopped giving this in the UK.

1/2/9 (27/8/9)
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 9:18pm
PixieL, I've got no official documentation, however, we have been advised by the Minister of Health and our local DHB that the pilot to implement prophylactic antenatal anti D to all RH- pregnant women was expected to finish in October/December 2009 and that after the pilot has been run, the Ministry has requested that all DHB's to commence prophylactic administraton for antenatal Anti D early in 2010.

Maybe there has been a delay in the pilot?? Perhaps you could contact your local DHB to find out what their stand is on this??

To be honest, my DH wrote, what seemed like, a mountain of letters, to get the answers we were looking for, that anti D was being offered (paid for or not) to RH- pregnant women. We have not gone that step further to make sure that it is being implemented. We would be deeply disappointed to learn that it hasn't been implemented yet. However, we have had to let go, for our own sanity. The aim to my thread was to spread the word so it could avoid others from developing antibodies, when there is/should be a system in place to stop this from happening.

So sorry I can't help you anymore. Good luck, I hope you get the right answer from your local DHB.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 9:54pm
bump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 1:25pm
back to the top!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>