FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo all rhesus negative women – A Must Rea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
PixieL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PixieL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 April 2010 at 9:53pm
Hi Nikki
Well the hospital rang me last week out of the blue and called me in for a free AntiD injection! So had one finally at 35 1/2 weeks. So it is possible in CHCH and will hopefully become easier to get the more people push for it.
Thanks for all the info on this.

1/2/9 (27/8/9)
Sponsored Links

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 6:31am
You are very welcome. I'm pleased you are finally getting the Anti-D
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 7:32am
I'm RH- and was given the Anti-D after Hannah's birth as she has a positive blood type.
It was my understanding this it the only time this is given?

My last set of antenatal bloods showed no anti-bodies, so my MW said I'll only be given the Anti-D if Baby #2 has a positive blood type.

MissAngel, did you sign a consent to be given the injection? It's a blood product, so they need the patient's consent, I thought?

Gosh, so many things to think about when having babies, huh!!

I'll have a chat to my mw when I see her at 28 weeks about this.

mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2010 at 4:53pm
Mamapickle.....if you have any bleeding during your pregnancy, you should have the anti-D jab within 72hrs of it starting to prevent the antibodies developing. If you have no noticable bleeding then yes, you only receive it after baby is born IF baby is Rh+.
However as in Nikki's original post, it can be offered at 28 and 34 wks as a preventative.......so cases like hers and mine don't happen!! I developed antibodies during my last pregnancy, at some point between 28 & 36 wks. Thankfully my antibody levels this pregnancy are remaining low and steady.

Edited by mumoftwins
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2010 at 9:16am
Ahh it's clear now. Thanks for that

Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:39pm
Hmm so I'm 30 weeks and never got the injection.... Totally forgot bout it!!
Do you need it while your pregnant if you haven't had any bleeding or anything?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Hunnybunny Hunnybunny wrote:

Hmm so I'm 30 weeks and never got the injection.... Totally forgot bout it!!
Do you need it while your pregnant if you haven't had any bleeding or anything?

Having it at 28 & 34 wks is a new intiative and not in place in all DHB's yet, so it's not surprising you haven't had it Hunnybunny. If you haven't had any bleeding you should be fine. Ask your midwife weather it is available for 3rd trimester women in your area, she hopefully will know. You'll still receive it after birth if baby is Rh+.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:31pm
My MW said to keep an eye on any bleeding due to my blood type, I don't have any antibodies - as at my initial blood test to confirm my pregnancy.
I will look at getting the BT done again at 28 and 34 weeks - and depending on the results get anti-D shots.
I don't remember getting one after my termination and I don't have any antibodies.
My understanding from my GP and MW is that they don't automatically give you anti-D after delivery any more.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:56pm
C&J, if your tests show you dont have anti bodies then thats great, but once they do show antibodies, then its too late to undo it. Having the Anti D wont take the antibodies away again...

HB if you want it, you can tell your MW you want it and she will sort it out for you (or tell you how to sort it out). it is now standard practice to have the anti d at 28 and 34 weeks (with no bleeding), but there isnt a procedure in place yet to make sure it happens.

+1 May 09 Angel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

My MW said to keep an eye on any bleeding due to my blood type, I don't have any antibodies - as at my initial blood test to confirm my pregnancy.
I will look at getting the BT done again at 28 and 34 weeks - and depending on the results get anti-D shots.
I don't remember getting one after my termination and I don't have any antibodies.
My understanding from my GP and MW is that they don't automatically give you anti-D after delivery any more.

Definitely still get given anti-D jab after birth if your baby is Rh+.
As far as I'm aware there is no routine blood test at 34 wks (28wks is glucose test..antibodies is one of the additional things checked at this time) and as Emmi said...once you have the anti-bodies there is no way to get rid of them.

Edited by mumoftwins

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2010 at 7:29pm
Back to the top...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 6:53pm
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 4:47pm
I have to say that Im glad I had the routine anti d's, Lilla was A+ so I am glad that I had them done, JIC
I hope next time Im PG its common place (and easy!) to get them done.

+1 May 09 Angel
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 5:04pm
I will look at getting anti-d after the birth, as its highly likely baby will be R+ as DH is.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2010 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by caliandjack caliandjack wrote:

I will look at getting anti-d after the birth, as its highly likely baby will be R+ as DH is.

If baby is Rh+ you will automatically be given it after birth....you shouldn't have to ask for it.

Congratulations Emmi!!!!
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2010 at 7:12am
bump
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 7:20pm
Back to the top we go!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 2:52pm
Well my baby has arrived!!
We had a wee girl on the 30th of July and everything is going great!
She is A- like me, but still had to have about 4 blood tests done in her first 12 hrs to check her bilirubin levels due to my anti-bodies......at one point they were very close to putting her under lights (which would have meant she would have gone to neo-nates ) but it was decided to check her levels again in a few hours....luckily they dropped to an acceptable level!!

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 7:06pm
I may talk to my OB about this next week. Even though i've missed the 28wk window, maybe it would still be helpful to have it at 34wks? My MW was never concerned or interested in me doing this when I brought it up in the beginning so I just dropped it.

c&j, you will be given Anti D at the birth if baby is positive- this will already be on your notes.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 8:59am
Congrats mumoftwins No wonder your antibodies remained really low. I'm so happy for you guys!!!

lostAmber, if I were you, I'd still request anti-d injection at 34 weeks. Good luck!
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>