FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMaternity Pay out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
YvetteandElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YvetteandElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maternity Pay out
    Posted: 22 September 2009 at 3:24pm
Hi,

I have heard that there is a payout you can receive if you have a child while not working ( I am a SAHM) has anyone heard of this

Please help me I would love to know

Sponsored Links

minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 3:26pm
I think it's called the Parental Tax Credit....there's info on the IRD website.
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 4:10pm
Hi! Yep, you heard right, jump onto the IRD website and have a nosey - it's $1200? I think from memory - you can have it paid out as a lump sum at the end of the tax year, or as $300 a fortnight once baby has been registered and has an IRD number. Make sure you start the paperwork as soon as possible, you have to have a birth certificate to get an IRD number, and you have to have the IRD number to be eligible for the payment, and it all has to be done by ?8? weeks.
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:20pm
Hmm. From what I can see DP and I don't qualify, since I'll be going on some sort of benefit and DP gets a student allowance.

Please tell me there's a way to get around that and I've just missed it, $300 a fortnight would be so handy
YvetteandElla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YvetteandElla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:27pm
Do you know the income cut off,

Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:31pm
All I know is what's here

And then I keep hearing conflicting things, like I'm sure Mama Maternity sent me something saying the $1200 lump sum thing was only for working mums as an alternative to mat pay...
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:34pm

I downloaded the official sheet a couple weeks ago. You get the full rate up til 71K, then it abates til 113K. For 2 children you'd get full rate til 89K when it starts abating.

I found the people at IRD really handy and they can calculate all your entitlement over the phone. They tell you everything you're entitled to, unlike another certain government agency.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:38pm

http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/tool-name/tools-w/ir271-worksheet-wfftc-tables-2010.html

That's the table you can use to calculate how much you're entitled to.

Jelly, you're entitled to the PTC as long as you (or your DP) aren't claiming the student allowance or other benefits in those 8 weeks. This advantages me because I lose my allowance as soon as I have a child even if I continue studying.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:39pm
Sorry but if you're spouse is recieving an income form WINZ (such as a student allowance or sickness benefit) then I don't think you qualify - you will be entitled to an accomodation supplement though!
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 6:55pm
Hmm. I'm playing with the calculator now... Wow, I think if DP stopped claiming student allowance and worked like 2 days a week til his course finished we'd be better off than if I applied for a benefit. That can't be right
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 7:41pm
hmmm i wonder if we can get it then. As dh wont be on student allowance as it will be uni holidays when bubs is born. Im so confused.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 7:54pm

Yea, you can get it Kyla! You're entitled to it for as many of the 8 weeks your DH isn't receiving an allowance. Give the IRD a call when you have time as they're really handy.

I'm doing a tax class at the moment and it's so handy with working out entitlements.

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2009 at 8:47pm
Awesome!!. Thanks
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:17am
Wow just called IRD and we're gonna be getting almost double WFF I need to get preg again straight away lmao joking of course!!!
I thought DP would be able to get paid parental leave or something similar for a couple of weeks but apparently not. Does anyone know how that works??
Katep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 10:29am
Babe...mmm more money...must also get preg again!! The only way he would get PPL is if you were working and decided to go straight back to work after baby was born and he was the main carer (this is the info I was given when we were looking into it). But because he is working I am sure you would get the 1200 instead.
LadyLizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 4:13pm
I found IRD really really helpful over the phone, I gave them the wrong tax code, and when I rang to change it they were really nice and told me then and there what my entitlements were (and it had gone up- yay!)

Give them a call if you aren't sure and they can talk you through it, its pretty straightforward.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 4:28pm
Babe if you are not working you can only get the $1200, no paid parental leave. Your DH is entitled to 2 weeks unpaid leave when bubs arrives (or most employers would let him take annual leave so its paid) but he doesn't get anything from the govt. Thats the bonus of having my baby at christmas - I should get lots of time with DH
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 6:50pm
Does anyone know if you can get the PTC paid weekly for the 8 weeks and still get the WFF paid in bulk at the end of the financial year?

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2009 at 8:24pm
bobbie yes i am pretty sure you can..not 100% but pretty sure.
Mum to two amazing boys!
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2009 at 3:49pm
Yeah Bobbie you can. IRD were so awesome and explained everything great! Ohk thats how the paternal thing works... Never had to think about it before!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>