FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSue Bradford resigned

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>
Author
lemongirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lemongirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sue Bradford resigned
    Posted: 25 September 2009 at 3:38pm
Just saw Sue Bradford resigned.

I'm kind of sad, parliament needs more of her type not less.

She managed to get three personal bills through the house: section 59, abolishing youth rates and a bill allowing mothers to keep their children with them in prison to breastfeed,

That's huge, most MPs never pass a personal bill.

But then all those death threats must have taken a toll over the years.
Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 3:51pm
I agree lemongirl it is sad, she's done well IMO - I'm in the minority and I'm all for the anti-smacking bill
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 4:31pm
I didn't like her but I totally agree she's done really well. I also supported the repeal of section 59 so I'll join you in the minority freckle.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 4:58pm
I'm glad she's gone, can't stand her. She only resigned cause she didn't get the co-leadership, threw her toys IMO.

The anti-smacking is the most useless piece of legislation ever passed. Its done nothing to stop or reduce child abuse, all its done is turn parents into criminals.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 5:47pm
I know she's not everyone's cup of tea but I'm sad too. I ended up being a total supporter of the anti-smacking bill also so I'll also join the minority.

clare00 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clare00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 9:14pm
I think she's great, and it's such a shame that she's resigning. I wish that we had more leaders like her.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by mrsg1 mrsg1 wrote:

I'm glad she's gone, can't stand her. She only resigned cause she didn't get the co-leadership, threw her toys IMO.

The anti-smacking is the most useless piece of legislation ever passed. Its done nothing to stop or reduce child abuse, all its done is turn parents into criminals.

I'm with you there! Biggest paddy I've seen in quite sometime!
Genie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Genie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Mamma2N Mamma2N wrote:

I'm with you there! Biggest paddy I've seen in quite sometime!

I'm in this camp too, can't stand the woman.
As for the anti-smacking, IMO people who are into beating their children aren't likely to give a crap about the law anyway.

scribe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scribe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 9:48pm
I think it was brave of her to state the real reason she was leaving rather than the usual 'spend more time with family' or whatever we usually get from politicians.

Some commentary on it from the Herald's political editor: here

I don't want to turn this into an anti-smacking vs. smacking debate, but I can't help myself:
Originally posted by Genie Genie wrote:

IMO people who are into beating their children aren't likely to give a crap about the law anyway.

Well no, but at least they might get some jail time - instead of using section 59 to get away with child abuse.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by anakk anakk wrote:

I don't want to turn this into an anti-smacking vs. smacking debate, but I can't help myself:
Originally posted by Genie Genie wrote:

IMO people who are into beating their children aren't likely to give a crap about the law anyway.

Well no, but at least they might get some jail time - instead of using section 59 to get away with child abuse.

And at the risk of adding to the debate....if as a society we are going to say no to any sort of violence to our children way not start in our own homes?

To be honest I don't think she threw a paddy at all, it sounded to me like she had missed out on a position, sure, but she had taken, what was it...4 months to evaluate and realise she wasn't happy. Goodness knows I've done that in a job after missing out on a management role, doesn't seem much difference to me.

kiwigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 10:14pm

I am with you on this one

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 11:52pm
*walks into thread, sees this is about to become a debate on smacking and runs RUNS away ! *

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 6:48am
Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

*walks into thread, sees this is about to become a debate on smacking and runs RUNS away ! *

runs off to join kelly
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 7:03am
LOL Kelly I love your way of defusing potential conflict Let's not go there with the smacking debate or we'll end uip at four pages!

As for Sue Bradford, I couldn't stand her as a person, every time I saw her on TV her views seemed so ill-thought-out and based on personal opinion rather than fact. However, I do agree with some of the things she implemented. Also, like anakk said, I think it was quite brave of her to be up-front about why she was leaving.

Edited by Hopes

jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 8:10am
I think it is a shame she has gone, not that I liked her but she had guts & stood up for what she believed.

I think she got a raw deal & maybe it was more of a push than want to leave....who knows with politics. But we do need more strong women in & people who are not afraid to stand up.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 8:14am
Originally posted by freckle freckle wrote:

I agree lemongirl it is sad, she's done well IMO - I'm in the minority and I'm all for the anti-smacking bill

You are not alone there. When you take away all the hype it only comes down to 1 thing, & no one can justify it. But then I don't think anyone should hit kids, so thats pretty sad if I to am in the minority.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 8:15am
Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

hmmm...does not have to be
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 10:24am
Paws - I absolutely agree, I can't see anything wrong with leaving a job because you missed out on a higher position - surely people do that all the time??

Jazzy- I don't either IMO smacking kids at any level is a completely unnecessary and irrelevant punishment that is demeaning and unproductive ... I'm somewhat passionate bout this one can ya tell
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 10:27am
LMAO Kelly - that's exactly what I was thinking reading through this.

becky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2009 at 11:11am
Im sad she has gone too she has done some great things esp the breastfeeding Mums in prison bill.
Also have to agree with the anti-smacking there are other ways that are more productive to discipline. Imo I also think it is about role modelling too how can we teach our children not to hit and then turn around and do it to them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 21>