FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBraxton hicks contractions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Braxton hicks contractions
    Posted: 02 October 2009 at 11:07pm

Please excuse my ignorance, this is my first pregnancy and I don't  really know whats normal or whats not.

Now I know that braxton hicks contractions are part of a normal pregnancy, but from what I've been reading in the books, they only happen every now and then. I first started feeling them at around 18wks and my midwife said every women is different and they may be felt earlier or later depending on the person. Although in the last week I have been getting a lot more of them, sometimes up to several in an hour and then nothing for a couple hours or so and then they start off again. Is having so many of them considered normal or not?

Any advise appreciated.

Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2009 at 11:10pm
Yes I think it's normal. Are they localised just to your bump?

I would only thing of them as unnormal if they hurt, not the tightening uncomfortable hard bump feeling but sore/painful catch your breath kinda hurt.

I think it depended on what I was doing as well? It's good to get them cause they are toning everything up for Labour. I didn't feel them so much the second time around but had heaps in my first pregnancy.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 12:42am
Yep I had heaps of BH and they started about 19/20 weeks for me. Some days I would get a lot of them then other days I'd get only a few. Mine never hurt, they were more uncomfortable particularly if I was walking at the time.

I'd only be concerned if they hurt or they are regular like every 5 to 10 minutes.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 8:16am
i have days when i get them 6 an hour and other days less. I too didnt really get many with previous pregnancies so this time around im getting a tonne. they sometimes stop me in my tracks cos they make my bump very heavy and hard to keep walking at the time
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 10:36am
I had them some times regular but with a big gap like every 20 mins for about 30secs and that would happen over a few hours or sometimes I would just get one or two or sometimes about five in a hour but not pattern.... They were uncomfortable but not painful and sometimes only in a part of my bump LOL. That was weird when only a part of the bump would go all hard....

Niki2010 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Niki2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 11:12am
I never had any with my first pregnancy but have had them this time round and didn't know what was happening when they first started! Mine defiiitely stop me in my tracks too, it seems to be more of the tighter feeling around the lower half of my tummy and feels like lots of heavy pressure. Some days I get lots other days not so much.
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 12:44pm

Zasha - I have days where I can have upto 3 BH in an hour. I find I get them more if I have over exherted myself during the day.

I find they can sometimes be painful as well.

I was told by my MW to, drink lots, pee when I need to pee (full bladder can trigger BH) and minimise my caffine intake as all of these things can be big contributing factors to frequent or painful BH.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 1:55pm
I had tons, a ridiculous amount. I would get them lasting from the early evening in to the wee hours of the morning and quite often they would be 3-10 mins apart, so very frequent but not that regular and they wouldn't last for very long. Some of them were painful, especially if sitting.
Period type pain with them is a concern, or if you are bent over double.

I would always check with your mw though, I spoke to my mw a few times about mine and then other days I just knew what it was and tried to ignore it. Having a bath would sometimes help it go away.

If you have loads I think they class you as having an irritable uterus.

happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2009 at 3:30pm
I had none during my first pregnancy but have had some very painful ones this time round. My MW wasn't concerned - basically she said if they become regular, you bleed or they increase in pain then you need to contact your MW - other than that apparently they vary hugely from person to person.
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2009 at 10:10am

Thanks for the replys, the BH I get are only uncomfortable not painful so they sound pretty typical of what everyone experiences. Guess there's still plenty of little uncomforatable surprises for me to learn about as things progress.....

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:11am
I still have no idea if i have had any of these! I guess it is good to live in ignorant bliss huh!

Oct 11
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 11:48am
I haven't had any this time round or last time either!

No idea what they feel like.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 12:35pm
oh i just pmed someone cause i didnt want to ask:) lol.. but i think i had one last time but is it normal not to have any? doesnt sound like i want them cause they'd worry me:) maybe my fat is helping to stop them ;)
Mum to two amazing boys!
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 8:08pm
I think it's normal for some people not to feel them - you're probably having them and just not noticing them. I certainly didn't feel any the first time round and I haven't really felt anything major since a few weeks ago now.
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 8:22pm

It would surprises me if you didn't  feel them, your whole bump tightens up and goes hard, it's not painful, just a bit uncomfortable, but you certainly know you are having them. May be they very in strength from person to person? maybe that would explain why some people feel them and others don't.

Post Reply Post Reply