FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedcloth nappy help please

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cloth nappy help please
    Posted: 05 October 2009 at 2:17pm
i have recently got cloth nappies for DD. I soaked and washed them twice and they are still leaking.

I think they still need to be washed more often to help be obsorbent.

They seem to leak from the top rather than up her back or side etc. So the front of her is always wet.

Does anyone know if wetting at the front means a certain thing, eg is it i need to make it a better fit,

Any advice would be good.

They are OSFA Pockets
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2009 at 3:15pm
More input please

What are you stuffing them with?

How long are they on before they start leaking?

Are the inserts wet through or does it seem to be wicking out before they get properly wet?

Do you know what sort of material the pockets are - is the outer cotton or poly PUL?

Is she a tummy sleeper?

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 1:04pm
right to answer what i know lol

She sleeps on her side/tummy. Mainly side however

They generally arent on that long. It depends really she normally goes toilet not long after her bottle so i check her and she is wet. Maybe 1-2hrs

Inserts are we through more the top half, also nappy is wet on the top half too.

The material is poly pull.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 2:02pm
What are the inserts made out of?

Ive heard you should have one layer that will pull the water away from baby, then the next layer should be super absorbant (like bamboo).

I got away with only ever using one type with Isabelle so im not a super expect like weegee though.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 2:03pm
Oh and how many inserts are you using at a time.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 2:19pm
lol, I wouldn't call myself a super expert, I'm just an information junkie

If the inserts are microfibre (the fluffy white material) then it could be what's called compression wicking - basically microfibre will soak up wee quickly like a sponge, but, like a sponge, if it gets squished a bit then the moisture will come back out again. That's why I asked if she was a tummy sleeper, since it's coming out the front. Side sleeping can put pressure on the front of the nappy too, as can putting dome up bodysuits over the top of the nappies.

I would consider teaming the microfibre with something that will soak up more slowly and not let it go, like bamboo or hemp.

I would also check the fit, esp since they are OSFA. Are they adjusted with snaps at the front?

Are they brandname nappies that we'd recognise? Can possibly help you more with the fit side of things if we know what we're talking about

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 October 2009 at 3:46pm
I agree with weegee - you might need a little more absorbency situated towards the front if she's a tummy/side sleeper and bamboo/hemp works well behind your existing insert.

Vic xx

Post Reply Post Reply