FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight Gain during Pregnancy...how much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 8:14pm
You never know...I was no different after my first. This time around I need to do a teeny bit of work to tighten up my abs but other than that I'm unchanged.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Sponsored Links

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 8:22pm
I was 68kg when I got preg with Jake and gained similar to you. Was about 79-80kg when Jake was born and since he weighed 4.3kg almost everything disappeared within the first 24 hours. I was about 3-4 kgs above my pre-preg weight for the first 6 weeks then it fell off.
This time round I started at 68kg again and I've just hit 70kg this week (I'm 21 weeks) so not much gain again. Will wait and see what happens as I get further along
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 9:22pm
I put on 34.5kg but that was predominantly fluid (I put on 10kg in the 2 weeks before I had the girls). Best thing about it being so much fluid is that within a week or 2 of having them I had lost 20kg of it. I was 63.5kg when I got pregnant, 98kg when I had the girls (I got weighed in the labour ward) and after a cpuple of weeks I was back down to 77kg. So I still have a fair bit to lose.
WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 9:53pm
I put on 15kg and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 3kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 10:07pm
Wow, I never realised the body could hold so much fluid!

I haven't weighed myself since I was 10 weeks - I'd put on 3kg already at that point. I dread to think what I weigh now, I must have put on at least 10 kilos so far
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2009 at 11:11pm

I gave up weighing myself a few weeks back and weighed myself again for the first time in a month the other night.

I find I get myself quite distraught over weight gain as I am such an imagine conscious person, so have found it best to just hide the scales and avoid weighing myself.

I'll probably weigh myself once more in the next 10 weeks, then again when I go into labour so I see what my final weight is and can gauge my weight loss after baby is born.

Edited by AmStaff

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 8:04am
Carin you have nothing to worry about! I don't even know where that extra weight is on you. You still look skinny in your belly pics!

I can really see the weight i've put on. lol. I lost all the extra weight really easy after Kaelen was born. All i did was breastfeed. So hopefully it'll be the same this time.
Mommy2Be View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mommy2Be Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 8:10am
HI, i think everyone's circumstances will be different. I understand as a general rule they suggest that total weight gain for the average person (i.e someone who has a BMI of between 19-23) should gain 11 - 15.5 kilos. If you start out underweight or overweight (against BMI measurement) then you will either have to gain more or gain less.

I started out at 59kgs, and by week 16 was 61kgs. My BMI is 19 though, so ideally 10 - 13kgs is enough for my body to give baby what it needs. Compared to the next person though it will be either more or less for them, as differences are inevitable when it come to weight gain.

At the end of the day you just have to eat what your body craves, I'm tryng to be as sensible as possible, as the old wives tale that we are eating for 2 is so wrong! Luckily for me i haven;t craved fatty food, although now that i am in my 18th week, i have been snacking more....and chocolate is a must have after dinner! JavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')

In the book - 'What to expect when expecting', they have provided a breakdown of weight gain - I found this quite handy to understand my weight gain...and future weight gain: Baby = 3.3 kilos, Placenta 750g, Amniotic Fluid = 1 kilo, Uterine enlargement = 1 kilo, Maternal breast tissue = 1 kilo, Maternal blood volume = 1.8 kilos, Fluids in maternal tissue 1.8 kilos and Maternal fat stores = 3 kilos. So that equals an avg weight gain of 13.5 kilos.

KirstinJavaScript:AddSmileyIcon('')

Inlove28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inlove28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 10:06am
Wow really is amazing how much fluid can play a part in all of this! I am yet to see myself get swelling.

I am however eating less now pre-pregnancy as there is just no room in there my meals are now halved and also not working in an office so not snacking due to boredom!
FayeG View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FayeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 10:45am
wow fluid is huge. I am 33 weeks and have put on about 12 kg. I was fit and small to start with but lots of the weight gain is in my butt hips and thighs? Anyone else like this? How did you find weight loss after baby born? How long does it take for your belly to go down, hips and thighs to get back to normal - I know we are all different, but I do worry I wont be the same again!!
Lizze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 10:54am
i follow this caluculator...
http://www.kidspot.co.nz/weightgain/pregnancyweightgain.asp

i started at 69kg, and I'm 78 at the moment which it says is average..

Roses are Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roses are Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 1:49pm
Another thing to remember is after baby if you are BF then you are likely to be heavier because of your increased boobs and the milk.

Angel March 2011
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 4:08pm

Originally posted by DebandKaelen DebandKaelen wrote:

Carin you have nothing to worry about! I don't even know where that extra weight is on you. You still look skinny in your belly pics!

On my hips and thighs. Little bit on my bum. Im not too worried cause it's pretty easy to get off of those areas with a good walk everyday.

DP also felt it necessary to point out that I have a small roll just above a rather intimate place.  Nothing a good amount of BDing can't work off.

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 4:16pm

I think the weight breakdowns are good as it reminds you of the reality of what you're carrying but it's also good to take into consideration that you may also have a bigger baby. 3.3KG is what I would consider on the smaller size for weight of a baby. Most babies I know that arrive on time weigh between 3.6 and 4.5kg which is I think between 7 and 10 lb. Then if you've got a bigger baby, your fluid and placenta size will also be bigger and weigh more.

I think for me personally, my boobs have gained at least a kilo each . I went from a 12B to a 14D, so you can't tell me they haven't contributed to my weight. LOL

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 4:24pm
OMG yeah the boobs so weigh more than 1kg!!!! Mine have gone from a D to a G I weighed them on the vets scales (LMAO yes I crouched down and flopped them onto the small animal scales) when I was BFing Jake and they honestly weighed a good 5-7kg (I did it more than once ) so while the weight breakdown is interesting it certainly wouldn't be accurate for all body types I don't think.

Edited by Babe
Inlove28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inlove28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by AmStaff AmStaff wrote:

I think for me personally, my boobs have gained at least a kilo each . I went from a 12B to a 14D, so you can't tell me they haven't contributed to my weight.

i hear you, I was too 12B now 14DD!
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 5:44pm
5-7kg babe, that's impressive!! Mine have gone from 12C to 12FF so I'll tell myself that's where all the weight is when the scales don't move down quickly enough after I give birth

I wonder if the kitchen scales will work for weighing my boobs....
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 7:25pm
LMAO Babe that is awesome!

I've gone from a small B to a decent C. I'm pretty happy with that.
kmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 7:43pm
I started off at about 66/67kg and ended up somewhere in the early 80kgs close to full term. I don't recall getting on the scales much towards the end, didn't really think about it! I probably put half of that on during the first trimester then plateaued towards the end, I was pretty small with Bethany through the entire pregnancy and Bethany came in weighing a healthy 6lb13oz, lovely! So your stats sound totally normal to me ;)

twins in heaven Oct07
Is 40:11 "He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart."
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 8:10pm
Baaaahaha Babe thats hilarious (and totally something I would do as well given half a chance)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>