FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWeight Gain during Pregnancy...how much?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Sharlene28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharlene28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 12:08am

I started off at 62kg, now at 18 weeks I'm 71kg.  My mw tells me that its too much of a weight gain so soon, but I really don't have the motivation to count calories these days.  I was 70kg at 13wks and I've only put on 1kg in 5 weeks, so it must be levelling out somewhat.  My boobs have gone from 12C to 16DD which I think could be a decent chunk of the weight.  Besides, I've got so many uncomfortable pregnancy symptoms at the moment, that if eating what I feel like cheers me up I'm inclined to do so 

Sponsored Links

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 9:02am
Sharlene - im surprised that your midwife weighs you. A lot don't know as everyone gains weight at different points during their pregnancy depending on what their body needs.
I was really lucky with henry. Started off heavier than i wanted to be for my height (65kgs) gained around 15kgs i think. Most of that in the last 20weeks. By the time henry was 2wks old i was 65kgs again. 3months later i was down to 60kgs and by the time i got married when henry was 5months i was 58kgs. I did nothing to lose that weight. We went for a short walk most days and i ate whatever i wanted whenever i wanted it.
This pregnancy i have been eating whatever i want, when i want it. I figure there is a reason my body wants that thing. Hopefully i will have a similar outcome after this baby is born as i did with henry. Though i dont want to get any lighter than 55kgs. I dont know how much i have gained so far as i havent weighed myself lately. Will do a weigh in at 36wks (since thats when henry was born)
Sharlene28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharlene28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 12:49pm

Angel4 - She only weighed me on my first visit.  This last time that I saw her I asked her if 9kg was too much (I'd weighed myself at home) and thats when she offered her opinion.  I hope I have an easy loss like you had, Your goal weight is the same as mine

RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2009 at 1:50pm

If I can get back down to 65kg I'll be happy. I was 64kg pre-preggy and I'm almost 6ft tall, so I think 65 is a realistic goal for me but I could go smaller if I tried really hard.

Who knows, it may end up that way without me even trying. *fingers crossed* oh please oh please oh please!!!

Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2009 at 10:21pm
I'm 5"10 and pre preg I weighed 62kg. The first 18wks I only put on 1.2kg but I weighed myself at Mum's last week at 22wks (I was clothed tho) and I was 67.4kg so I don't think I'm doing too badly really. It's all boobs and belly. Haven't gained any weight anywhere else. My sister put on 20-22kg with both her kids and she felt that that was too much. She got quite chubby cause she is normally such a wee thing. It all fell of her tho after breastfeeding and now she is a size 6! One of my friends only put on 8kg with her 2 daughters. Lucky thing. I'm aiming to put on between 10 and 13kg which I think is realistic.
Lizze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lizze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 9:15am
oooo i hope that most of mine is in my boobs!
I've gone from a 12DD to a 14G.

I almost look ridiculous as my boobs are still bigger than my stomach, and someone came up to me the other day and said 'oh you look great, your boobs are huge, i bet DH is loving that!'

I've put on 9kg, and that has all been since about week 17 as I didn't gain anything until then. Still wearing my normal clothes (mostly) though so I don't think theres too much extra padding, it must be all in my chest.

escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 1:02pm
With my first pregnancy I started at 52kgs and got to 75kgs by 41wks+5days. My daughter was 8lbs 9oz. So I gained a total of 23kgs. This time I started at 62-63kgs and have put on 11kgs so far, and I'm 24wks pregnant tomorrow. I've put on most of my weight on my butt, thighs & hips, same as first pregnancy. Not sure how much weight gain on the boobs. But I have gone from a 10D to a 14D.

But it does seem, that if you start off smaller, you put on more weight and if you start off larger, you put on less weight.

Edited by escadachic

zcm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zcm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 2:30pm
I wish that was true for me Kelly!

I've put on 12kgs so far and its all gone on hips, thighs, arms and boobs.

Most of my weight gain I'm sure is because I'm no where near as active as I was pre preg. Before then I was going to the gym regularly as well as walking anywhere between 3-7km's a day and I've been way too tired and lately sore to do that anymore

Bra size has gone from a 14C to a 16DD or 14E depending on the bra.

I put on 14kgs with DS#1 and 9kgs with DS#2, I think I'm gonna put on loads more than that this time around!
Mum to two boys and
RinTinTin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RinTinTin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 5:27pm

At AN classes the teacher was telling us that your body creates fat stores for breastfeeding on your butt, thighs, below your bump and also across the back of your shoulders.

So by the sound of it, for most of us it's just fat stores for BFing.

escadachic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote escadachic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2009 at 12:03pm
Lollies, yeah I so can't exercise anymore either. I get really sore and achy. My Dr said I could do some walking a few times a week and I was like No, believe me I can't, it's just too uncomfy and painful.

BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 8:44pm
Hmm interesting.
With Ryan I started pre-pregnancy at a weeny little but healthy 42kgs 5'2" put on about 20kgs and only 5kgs of it was Baby and all his gear.

This time I'm 54kgs and haven't put on any so far at 21 weeks, I lost a few kgs during MS but have somehow gained that back.

I think most of the first weight was just my body preparing to carry a baby, as I was really little.  

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2009 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by escadachic escadachic wrote:

Lollies, yeah I so can't exercise anymore either. I get really sore and achy. My Dr said I could do some walking a few times a week and I was like No, believe me I can't, it's just too uncomfy and painful.

So the same and it sh*ts me how my MW keeps going on and on about walking etc.......if she had any idea how much pain it gave me and how much i suffered with back pain for days afterwards she would shut up about it. Ive been swimming at least once a week for the whole pregnancy and since last week my skin was fine but now ive been awake every night scratching from the chlorine so i think im gonna have to stop swimming now which sux..........

But my weight gain is also from lack of exercise cos my diet hasnt been overly bad, and I have to exercise a lot normally to maintain a 65kg weight at 163cm...........

I have been keeping up a 500gm weight gain every week since i got pregnant.

Cant wait til i can join the gym again, for two reasons, i sweat out my stress toxins and dont get ecezma and i love the ME time........weight loss is a bonus
busybee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busybee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2009 at 7:57am
My weight gain suddenly picked up...it was slow and steady to start off with and I was pretty happy as it was on the lower end of the recommended weight gain chart...but this last week it suddenly shot up with 600g...in one week...I was amazed...my bump really grew this week...but I can see my thighs getting in on the action...thing is I haven't eaten any differently than any other week so far
Inlove28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Inlove28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:56am
See mine is still slow, I am eating right and this week again I havent gained anything. MW tomorrow so in last month its only around 100-200gm hmmm!
Zasha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 1:12pm

My weight gain has really accelerated in the last 3 weeks I've gained 2.5kg. making a total of 9.5 kg so far. My goal was no more than 15kg for the duration of the pregnancy. But the way things are goin now I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to end up gaining more than I wanted. I saw my MW yesterday and she said the baby is really having a growth spurt at the moment and rapid weight gain is quite normal for this stage of pregnancy, although it should slow down again at around 36wks

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 5:08pm
don;t mean to hijack this thread but is it normal to losee weight during pregnancy
I honestly dont know how as I feel the size of a house but my first appointment at the OB I was 90kg then 90.3kg and yesterday (with shoes on) I was 89
not a big loss I know but its still a loss and like I said I don't know how
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 8:23pm
I started at 53kg and am 59kg at the mo - so 6kg weight gain for me so far. I reckon I'll end up with about 10 or 11 all up. And I agree with the boob comments! I have gone from D to E - they better stop there!!

My MW also only weighed me at the beginning and hasn't since. A friend of mine gave me a lecture about weight gain a few weeks ago and could absolutely not believe that my MW hadn't weighed me every visit - but looks like that is pretty normal!

Tastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2009 at 9:07pm
Monkey33 I havent even been weighed with the midwife! didn't with the last two pregnancys either
only been weighed this time at the OB - through the hospital
Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 7:38pm
My midwife has never weighed me or even talked about weight gain. She simply asked me at our first meeting what my pre-preg weight is and that was that! Soooooo glad she doesn't weigh me every time. I have thrown my scales out cause I don't want to get too hung up on my weight. I know I'm a healthy weight and still no extra weight anywhere other then bump and boobs (they wont stop growing!!! lol DP loves it! )So I'm happy.
colee25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colee25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 12:48pm
its always such and interesting question isnt it girls!!!

i reckon your body just puts on what it needs at the end of the day (as long as of course you're not just eating junk for breakfast, lunch and dinner! )

my starting weight was 65. now i am 7 months and have already put on 20kg but im not that phased by it to be honest! my MW says there is nothing wrong with my size, or babies size and everything is just fine each to there own at the end of the day
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>