FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBanana!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Banana!!!
    Posted: 31 October 2009 at 8:04pm
How many is too many?????

My daughter loves banana's and they are the only fruit she asks for, but I'm just a bit concerned as to how many it's safe for her to eat (daily). Today she ate 2 and a half! DP was home and if he asks, he gives her some every time. She asked for banana 5 times today, and ate a half each time. When it's just me at home, I cut her off at one and a half. She eats well in general, but doesn't really eat any other fruit.
Sponsored Links

NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 8:49pm
our daughter gets 1 a day if she asks for more we tell her she can have something else.

we (dh and I) always check with each other if she asks for one and the other wasnt here

I have heard that eating too many can make them constipated?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 9:11pm
Unfortunatly, most kids do get constipated, but not my girl. She pooed twice today, once mid morning and once before bed. Twice a day is an average day on the poopy front.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 9:46pm
if you use the rule of 5 servings a day and each servings is the size of your hand then i would say that one banana is probably her five serves... so after that it would be a case of is she really hungry?do you really want to give her bananas every time she asks ? if its not constipating her (and it never affected my kids either) then i suppose its entirely up to you how comfortable you are.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 10:06pm
She's just such a little thing I feel mean turning her down when she asks for food - at the moment she'll eat almost every hour (this is a new thing, the last 6 days she hasn't stopped eating). She eats until she's full, I've tried giving her more at "meal" times, but it makes no difference. If I don't give her food, she climbs on my lap and demands booby.

They are only bobby banana's so I'd say about 3 serves per banana.
Kazzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 8:11am
sounds like she is going through a growth spurt...even now at 3.5 i can always tell when Rhiannon is about to shoot up as for about 8 days she does nothing but eat eat eat...then we are back to normal

first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 5:58pm
Banana's are very high of potasium so I'd been a little careful, maybe only a banana a day. Would she eat something else if you offered it to here instead of a banana.
It is lovely that she likes them so much.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 November 2009 at 9:13pm
First - Yes and no - she'll eat a biscut or cracker instead of banana, but won't eat other fruit or a sandwich (she eats sandwiches but will only eat them at meal times). Are you able to tell me how much potassium is too much? That's really what I'm concerned about, I don't want to limit her anymore then I have too.

Kazzle - That sounds right, I was wondering about a growth spurt because she's nearly doubled how much she has at dinner and breakfast times, as well as wanting to snack all day.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 1:44pm
too much potassium in her diet would only be a problem if she had a kidney problem.

an average size banana has about 450 mg so less in a bobby banana...

first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 1:52pm
I was told not to let my boy have more than half a banana a day but that may have been because of his likelihood of kidney issues. Hmm not sure. Sorry I haven't been helpful. LOL.
YOu could ring plunket line and ask them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 2:35pm
Oh my goodness, google frustrates me! The only RDI for potassium I can find is for 4+ year olds, and that's 3500mg.

But for all other sorts of vitamin/mineral/protien/carb/fat guideline info (and some intersting comments on the effects of early solids introduction) - this link is really good (but very heavy reading)

http://www.moh.govt.nz/moh.nsf/pagesmh/6400/$File/food-nutrition-guidelines-infants-toddlers-consultation-draft-jun07.pdf

Thanks for all the input ladies. Any other thoughts and/or ideas are welcome.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 8:02pm
try this table.

link

in a nutshell it says for infants 1-3yrs 300mg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 9:21pm
That's interesting, do you know why a 7-12 month (700mg) old needs more then a 1-3 year old? Then it's a huge jump up at 4yrs to 3800mg! And a cup of orange juice has more potassium then a banana... that I like, I hate banana but love my OJ. Thanks Bizzy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2009 at 9:24pm
Oh wow, I just saw that a baked potato has 844mg, and a banana only has 451mg. Hmm I geuss I just won't worry too much, I know plenty of families that give the kids a good serving of spud.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2009 at 12:23am
Caden sometimes has 2 bobby banana's a day, he LOVES them, but mostly he just has one with his breakfast, or if not breakfast then lunch.

Post Reply Post Reply