FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCheapest way to wash cloth nappies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cheapest way to wash cloth nappies
    Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:28pm
We use ecobots nappies which are prefolds (i think im not very good with all the terms) as in there is a cloth bit we fold up and put in a cover and then on baby.

How i am washing them now - hang cover up to air if it has not been soiled so i can use it for the next nappy change. Rinse inner and put in nappy bucket. If cover is soiled rinse and place on top of bucket in laundry. When time to wash i tip all nappies in machine, do up covers and put them in too. Then use one cap full of nappisan dissolved in hot water, tip this into machine, fill machine with warm/hot water and let it soak for a bit and then i come back and change it to cold cycle to go through. Then hang in sunshine.

Questions :

Do i have to wash them in hot water? We are going through our gas so quick atm and i know its because i do a load of nappies in hot water at least every other day if not every day.

Is there an alternative to nappisan? I am using home make laundry liquid now for all our other washing so im sure there must be an alternative.

also any other tips on what i could be doing differently to save myself time and money. THANKS!!!!

Sponsored Links

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 1:40pm
I only do a hot wash every now & then on my nappies. But I used different ones from you.

Do you need to soak? Can you do the soaking in a bucket. Might work out less gas?

Honeychild website has good washing tips
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 2:05pm
I just chuck mine in the laundry tub as we use them, then at the end of the day throw them in the washing machine.

(Although I use pocket nappies)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 2:22pm
I use prefolds and I just soak them overnight in a bucket if they're soiled, rinse them out under cold water and put through a normal cold wash then hang.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 2:37pm
I would say since you rinse them anyway you don't need to be soaking. And since you dry them in the sunshine you don't need to be using napisan or doing a hot wash. Just use half the quantity of your normal laundry liquid. You might like to do a hot wash every now and then but a cold wash should be fine. Any lingering germs will disappear under the sun esp with summer on its way!

Do the covers have laundry tabs? If so you may as well do them up when you rinse them and don't need to go back and do them up before washing.

Great bump btw!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
SarahJane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SarahJane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 2:58pm

Cold wash, and if you find they are a bit smelly, then use canestan in the place of fabric softener.

All that hot water must be costing you a small fortune!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 3:54pm
prefolds can just be washed like you would any washing... dont see why you cant use your normal washing stuff on them.

angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 4:20pm
Awesome ladies!!!! Thank you!!! it was my mother than said i had to use nappisan lol. The washing liquid i make has lux flakes and washing soda in it and eucalyptis oil. I thought some washing liquids coated nappies and made them not absorb. Does anyone know if this liquid would be ok for them?
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 4:22pm
the ecobots website has some good info on how to wash them too.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 4:43pm
ah. Nope lux flakes aren't so good for nappies, ok for covers but will build up on the prefolds.

There are a few recipes out there for homemade laundry detergent without lux flakes, Babe probably has some on her blog

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
angel4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angel4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 4:47pm
ok so was right about not using that then. its not too bad using nappisan, at least i can stop using hot wash now and just do cold. That will save heaps. Might also just use half nappisan
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 November 2009 at 7:13pm
Your Mum will be thinking back to the old flats!! That gen seems to have a horror look when you say you don't need to soak!
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
jessm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:17am
I just separate my nappies (I use homemade pockets & I love them) & put them in a dry bucket with a lid on. Dirty ones I rinse / scrub first. Wash every couple of days with cold only, as that is all that is connected up to my washing machine (in the middle of renovations!), & just use normal powder, but only half the amount. & I put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in the rinse (in the fabric dispenser of the machine). Dry in sunshine. I haven't had any problems with buildup etc, and its very easy!
Mama-Me View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama-Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 4:24pm
Yes certainly don't use lux flakes to wash your nappies!

A hot wash isn't neeed unless you really want. I wash all my nappies in cold water all the time.

Napisan isn't recommended on every wash - maybe once a month or less.

The best thing to remove stains is hanging in the sunlight

The best thing to get out any smell is using canestan.

Check out Cloth Nappy Love for some great washing tips.
 Post Reply Post Reply