FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYoung Mums To Be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young Mums To Be
    Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:01pm
Hey All,
I really enjoy being part of the Due in July 2010 thread. However i also would like to talk to other young mothers and mothers to be.

I am 20 yrs old and will be 21 once bubs arrives. I feel very young to be having a baby Because everyone in my family and family friend group is at least 30 when they start having bubs.

These 30 yr old mum's to be have(in general) studied, had careers, travelled, married and bought houses. Then they have settled down to have babies.

I however, am half way through a bachelor's degree and was planning postgraduate study. I am in a serious relationship and have been living with DP for 2 yrs now. We are both very happy about our unexpected baby to be. However, we are quite poor at the moment.

So i really feel that it would be good to talk to other young mothers to be in similar situations. I just feel being so young opens up other issues to talk about that the Due in thread cannot really cover.

Anyones imput in this new topic would be greatly appreciated.

BayGirl.
Sponsored Links

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:22pm
Hi there. Welcome to Ohbaby!

I got pregnant with my first at 19 and had him when i was 20. I'm 22 now and due in 2 weeks with my second. Both were planned.

I'm happy to chat and answer any questions you might have.
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 10:27pm
Gosh I am getting older I am 23 and mum to two. I had my first at 19 and second at 21. I am always happy to chat

BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:06pm
I suppose my first Q is how;d your folks take it. Mine have told me they will not support me having the baby. They've told me they don't want me to come home again!!
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:16pm
Wow, that's a bit harsh. My Mum was sick when I told her (therefore too weak to yell XD) but she was fine and apparently wouldn't have yelled anyway, and I'm a fair bit younger than you. Well, she wasn't fine, but supportive.

I'm sure your parents will come around, it's probably quite a shock when your "little girl" comes home and announces she's pregnant, no matter how old she may be.
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:16pm
Thats terrible ,im sorry to hear that, I also know from other friends that often parents say that kind of thing in shock and disappoinment , but once you get further along and start to show , it gets more exciting for them and its a very very heartless person who still looks at a newborn with disappointment.
You just concentrate on yourself and baby , those other things will work themselves out .

Anyway , Hi! im Kelly , and im actually 27 (28 next month ) so bit older than what your wanting, tho I still feel 20 , (and look younger )
I got pregnant from a guy Id been going out with for a month when I was 19, my daughter Caitlyn was born when I was 20, I had a lot to prove to everyone, but 7 years later im now married to a great guy and have a beautiful 4 month old boy .

I may not be in your situation now, but I've been there, so if you ever want to talk or vent, feel free to PM me

And congrats on the pregnancy !

Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2009 at 11:25pm
I'm in your due in July thread

But I'm 19, will be 20 when bubs is born... I'm in a serious relationship (getting married in Jan!)
And no, its not a shot gun wedding the date has been set for about 8 months now... Invites were out before I knew I was pregnant!

I'm feeling you on the money thin, although DF and I have just bought our first home together.. Exciting!
_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 8:21am
My mum was happy for me as it's what i wanted. My dad didn't really say much but didn't seem to have a problem. He lives in another town. My parents have been separated for years. I wouldn't care what he thinks anyway. lol.

I'm sure your mum will come round eventually. It's your choice and your life so people should just accept it. It's not like you're 15 or something. lol.

Edited by DebandKaelen
Andriea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andriea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 8:29am
Thats a shame about your mum, Im sure she will come round the further along you get and when baby gets here its prob just shock.

I was 19 when I had my first, part way through a degree and had only been with my bf for 6-8 weeks when we found out . It was hard in the beiginning cause we didnt have a lot of money, none of our friends had children etc but she totally changed our lives for the better. Im now 30 DH and I have been married for 9 years and we have just had baby number 6. I finished my degree and DH built himself a decent career. If you wanna chat (even though Im pretty ancient now ) just flick me a message, all the best
Dani01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dani01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 10:07am
Hey there,

I'm 22, just about 23 and had our first baby in August. Ours was and wasn't planned...lol and there were a couple of people who were shocked, but they soon warmed up to the idea and now everyone loves the latest little addition to the family.

I'm sure your parents will start to warm to the idea once they reaslise you are serious about all of this. As someone else said it's not like your 15 and it's not like you are not trying to build a career and aren't in a serious relationship.

We are married, we don't own our own place and we are also very poor due to silly decisions about wanting everything and not saving for it.

And although we are struggling with money and stress about it and everything I have found since we have our daughter I have not worried about money as much as I used to as long as she is warm, fed and has a roof over her head that's all I care about.
BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 10:28am
Hey all,
Thanks for you nice replies. I think you right mum and Dad will hopefully warm to the idea in the coming months.
I am very happy about our little surprise!! I suppose my biggest worry is money (or the lack there of)! But as you say Dani as long as we have a home that's warm for bub and food on the table we will get by. Maybe i'll even care less about money once bub is here. ??

So i am planning to continue studying extramural while i'm preggers. I'm doing a couple of papers this summer semester. Then plan to do 2-3 papers first trimester 2010. Those papers will finish in the middle of June. So i'll be all ready for bub to come (hopefully on time) in the middle of July.
I'l continue to study once bub is here, maybe take the first 6mnths off then in 2011 i'll work really hard to finish my degree!!

Any Thoughts? Is it doable?? Or am i kidding myself?
babybaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babybaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 11:48am
Exactly like Dani said. Thinking about those babies were born in our grandparents' time or even back to a couple of hundreds years ago. Money is not the most important thing for a baby. I believe that the family he or she will grow up with matters most.

Your parents will change their minds when they see a lovely grandchild.

I remember that in my Uni we can defer exams. If you feel ok with your study now, you can give a try on exams. If you can't handle exams and baby at the same time during your late pregnancy, you can talk to Uni to defer your exams.

Good luck There is always a way to work it out.
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 12:23pm
Im 21 got married at 19 to DH whos same age and well be 22 early on next year and we have been planning a bub all this year. When I told my mum (whom im very close with) I was going to be trying for a baby she wasnt very supportive of the idea and wanted me to travel and experience things just like she said when i wanted to get married lol
No we are actually trying (4th month) she is excited about being a nana, though she still thinks im a bit on the young side (had me the oldest at 32) she supports me now and is looking forward to spoiling her first grandchild. I think theyll get over it, iv had friends in the same position as you and their parents hated it too but as soon as they saw the little one (if not before) they immediately became the doting grandparents you know they will be!

GL hun, have a happy and healthy 8 months

Edited by Nic_88

CHEM 6/12+
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 1:48pm
Regarding the study , Monikah on here studied all the way through her pregnancy I believe, and I think shes studying still while pregnant with number 2.
She would be a good one to talk to .

Babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 1:55pm
I was married at 20 and had my first son 5 days after I turned 23 so little abit older than you are
I think your approach to the whole thing sounds sensible though. Check out this thread if you want some tips on saving money round the house. As for baby y'know it really doesn't have to be expensive. Lots of bargains out there if you keep your eyes peeled
Unless you end up really sick theres no reason you can't continue to study. Taking the first 6 months of is a really good idea though!
Sorry to hear bout your parents reactions. FX they end up supporting you guys!

GL chick
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 2:23pm
I'm not as young - was 25 when the girls are born, but I studied full-time while pregnant and am still studying now. It's extramural as well. The best thing I found was communicating with my tutors - I had my girls in the 3rd week of semester 2, and we were in hospital for just over 4 weeks (they were born at 33w4d) and my tutors deferred the assignments that I had due until I was able to complete them. I just carried on when I got home, and am doing 2 papers in summer school, and 3 next semester.

It's very hard to study just after bubs is born - you're distracted trying to get to know bubs, and get into routines, that study tends to take a back seat.

Oh, and my mum was pretty disappointed when I told her I was pg, DH and I had only been together about 15 months and we were due to get married in another 6 weeks (I was 11w when we got married), and she thought I was too young and needed to do other things first. Once she got used to the idea though (especially when she found out there were two of them), she was into it, and now she spoils them rotten and dotes on them.
bext1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bext1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 2:46pm
Hey Baygirl

Congrats!!

I had Joel when I was 18 nearly 19. My parent's were a bit shocked when I told them, as it's not really the thing to have kids before marriage, but they came around and Joel was granddads boy big time!!

The twins they weren't so shocked on, maybe tho cause i was in a new relation ship and we'd been together maybe 5 months, but it's what we wanted. I think it was just the shock of two.

This time they just worked it out and they seem excited! I'll be 26 when this one comes

But as for money, you can get family assistance etc, so you'll get through it. We always found that we got thru, and you just make do

the thing i find hardest being a young mum, is picking up Joel from school, i feel so young compared to the other mums, but then I think how lucky i am that i AM young, cause i have more energy and am more easy going then those older mummies!!

I'm sure it will all work out for the best.

JD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 3:35pm
Hi BayGirl

Welcome to OB.
I am 32 now, but got pregnant with my first at 17 and had her when I was 18. Anything you set your mind to is doable, so dont worry too much about that. Its great that you are planning on continuing your study, and Im sure you will do well. You have more invested in it now!

Give you parents a chance to come around to the idea. Its a big thing for them to take in, and once they have got used to the idea and see that you are still planning on continuing your study they will come round :o)

Babies don't have to be expensive...and you will become an expert in finding bargains in no time. You will be surprised how many things come available for you to borrow once people know you are having a baby. I didn't buy a single piece of furnature for my 1st baby. Everything was either loaned to us or given.
If you start planning early enough, you will be able to stash away nappies and little outfits etc by purchasing one or two things a week.

There will be lots of challenges to face in the coming years being a young mum, but nothing you cant handle.
Actually I still feel like a young mum since I am only 32 (which prob sounds old to you) with a 13 year old starting high school next year. I felt like a student rather than a parent when looking around the school with her lol.

I remember when I was pregnant with DD, my mw told me that actually young mums can potentially be better parents because they have a much more relaxed approach to parenting. they don't worry so much about their kids getting wet and muddy and they participate in more play time with their kids. Obviously this is a generalisation and there are older parents that also have a relaxed parenting style. I have to say though, since being older and married and having kids later down the track, I have certainly noticed how all the other mums in my coffee group (similar ages as me) are all so over protective and IMO over think everything to do with their kids. Even I do more than I did with my dd.

Anyway, enough rambling. I am also in the bay so if you have any questions or anything, feel free to ask :o)

Oh, and just because you are young, doesn't mean you don't have the ability to make your own decisions for your baby. People will push you on different topics like breast or bottle feed, immunise or not etc etc. You are just as capable as a young mum to make these decisions for your baby as any other mum. You will likely have to tell a few people to mind their own business...

You'll be just fine :o)
shadowfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadowfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 4:59pm

Hi Baygirl,

I was 19 (nearly 20) when we got married. I'm 21 now and due in a month. My DH and I bought our first house a couple weeks before finding out I was pregnant. It was half planned but we'd just decided to delay kids for a few years. The money situation has been a bit tough but we are lucky to have made it through the year alright and have more of the debts paid off.

After my exam tomorrow I'll be 1/3 of the way through my study. I thought I could study full-time and finish the semester but I've had quite a few complications and was so stressed that I lost all motivation with the study so dropped 2/3 of the papers. I'm considering taking 1 paper first semester 2010 and seeing how that goes. I think the best anyone can do is take things as they come and re-evaluate as necessary.

I'm the eldest in my family and the first to be having a kid. Our families are happy and getting all prepared for grandchildren. It did take my mum a while to warm to the idea but I think that was partially concerns for the complications and risks involved. Things would have gone very differently there if we had not been married first though.

Good luck

Richie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2009 at 5:58pm
I'm not as young as most who have replied but I've had a lot of people say to me 'you are far too young to have children, you are throwing your life away'. but I have only just turned 24. DP is 27 tho.
My parents were both really excited, as were DP's parents. My Mum was 24 when she had my eldest sister so theres no way she could ever judge me for being too young. And DP's sister was 16 when she had her first so his family were really supportive too. Makes me sad when families aren't supportive, they really should be there for you cause it's such a life changing experience. They can't block you out forever tho, just wait till bubs comes along and I bet they will want to visit ALL the time!! No one can resist a wee bubba!
As for money, we are guna struggle a bit as well. We don't own our own home but are renting a nice place off my BIL which we will buy off him once my DP's residency comes through (hes from Ireland). I have taken 1yr off work which starts on Xmas Eve but if I have to go back to work earlier due to financial reasons, I can.
Anyway, good luck to all you other 'young' mums out there. We will do good and we are all here to support each other anyway so always have someone to talk to which is awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>