FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWant to stop Breastfeeding!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
armybabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armybabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Want to stop Breastfeeding!
    Posted: 18 November 2009 at 6:08pm
Hi GUYS any tips here?

My girl is 13months old, and its time to stop breastfeeding, she wants it far too much, i use a nipple sheild as she could never latch and with her teeth come through, she has stopped sucking proparly! so it really hurts, but i spoil her too much n give her wat her wants! iv tried giving her normal cows milk hot and cold but she spat it out, also diluted with water, in a bottle n her sippy cup and in a adults cup and all not sucesful!! but if mummy is drinking milo she will drink out of my cup, if i pour it straight into her cup she wont drink it!!! In a way i think i have gotten quite attached to B/F really and its helped me loose weight!!
Sponsored Links

Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 6:19pm
I am looking at doing the same thing with my 20 month old. She really only plays on it now and I am over her waking at 6 and demanding a feed when she doesn't even want it.
After 20 months she is extremely attached although we have been slowly cutting it back down to the one morning feed. Each time I would drop a feed we would just go cold turkey, although it helped if I wern't around the first time she would go without. This last one I plan to just one day stop... but it is so hard. I loveed Bf'ing and its sad to know this will be the end of it.

We dont give Maddi much milk although she will sometimes have a cup if everyone else is. She has lots of cheese and yoghurt and milk on her breakfast so I am not worried about the lack of dairy.

Good Luck!

Edited by Daizy

armybabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armybabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 7:36pm
Hey Daizy Thanks for your post, i guess in a way i see her as a baby and think she needs milk 3 times a day, i must add it seems the best way for me to put her to sleep, if she goes to her dad for sleep he can do it within 5 mins by hugging or rocking her, but if she with me it taakes forever! n after one feed she keeps wanting more but wont sleep! until shes REALLY TIRED!
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 7:41pm
Yeah, that night time feed I found really difficult to drop. The only reason we did it was because she stayed at her Grandparents one night and missed the feed and the following night I went out so it was up to DH to get her down without. She had almost completely forgotten about it until a week later and suddenly started asking for "booboo" again.
Once I had stopped the feed I had stopped so there were a few nights of tears when she wanted it back but after that she was fine.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 1:53pm
i have found distraction to be a good technique. So just keeping busy and doing other things for a while might help. if she asks you could try saying how bout a biscuit instead, or lets go outside or mummy just has to do this, do you want to help...

first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 5:37pm
Yeah distraction is good. I think most important is you just need to decide its over. Maybe drop a feed a week but make sure you are really decided because otherwise you'll just confuse her.
Milk for yoghurt and other milk products is enough so don't feel bad if she doesn't drink milk.
Oh and you might find once she's stopped looking for milk from you that she'll go to sleep a bit easier for you so maybe that could be the thing you look forward to while you're distracting her.

Good luck.

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 9:22pm
So, this might be a bit forthright, but can you clarify for me why it is exactly you're wanting to stop breastfeeding?
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
armybabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armybabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2009 at 7:07pm
Because ny nipple are getting sore!! lol, i use a nipple sheild, and she has started to not open her mouth as wide as used to, and her teeth rubbing- hurts! And also it just feels like time to stop. :-)
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2009 at 6:39pm
I'm getting ready to stop BFing too, armybabe. I have been giving Jody expressed breastmilk once a week from her bottle so I think that has helped heaps as she drinks happily (enough) from her bottle when she has too.
I also tried giving her milk from her sippy cup but changed my mind as I don't want her to go off using her cup when she gets a mouthful of milk when she is expecting water IYKWIM.
Do you think it's the bottle that she is refusing rather than the different milk?
I would recommend getting her used to drinking from the bottle with your milk if you can express before getting her to drink cow's milk, so it's just one new thing at a time.
I tried giving warm cow's milk yesterday, she's not overly keen on it yet though. Good things take time
I feel your pain with the teeth rubbing too *ouch*. I use Palmers Nursing stuff on my nipples a million times a day when I get really sore, it helps a lot.
Also, if you haven't tried already, get her dad to offer the bottle while you go and hide somewhere.
Good luck
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:44am
hows it going armybabe?
i wouldnt give a bottle at all...why make more work for you. she wont need a bottle now anyway and as someone said they get all their calcium needs from lots of sources. (none of my kids ever had a bottle, and i gave them sippy cups with their meals as soon as they were sitting in the highchair.)

armybabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armybabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 10:23am
Hey,
Chikion thanks for that, helped.
I have had doubts about giving bottle, iv looked at alot older kids drinkin out of bottles (nehpew at 5) n thought thats too old! lol! she never really really liked her bottle anyway, was thinking about gettin a new teat for it, but dont think i will now, some nights r good when her dads around for him to put her to sleep, as he is better at doing it, it usually takes m double or tripple the time!! Jus wenever she with mum, she pulling down my top!!! gosh! I gav her milo yesterday in her bottle and she drunk that next to me with my cup which i was happy about! Going to cut down as much as can and go from their i think! just have to no cave n and give her it!
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 2:35pm
It is hard not to cave. I would agree with you and the bottle. Plunket don't encourage the bottle past 12months I think.
A cup or sippy cup should be enough.
Keep us posted in how you go. I am still BFing my son but he only gets it morning and night and once I got it down to that I found it very managable.

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 2:59pm
Interesting about the bottle, I didn't really think much about having to wean Jody off that later too I will now rethink my plan
Yes, please keep us posted armybabe!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 7:29pm
With Spencer we had one type of sippy cup for milk and a totally different one for water so the two were still kind of separate, he certainly knew which had which and would get annoyed if I got it wrong!

Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:19pm
That's an excellent idea!
armybabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armybabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:22pm
Hey, thanks every1 for your advice, thats a good idea cuppatea, kaylah loves her straw tommie tippie bottle for her water so think i will find something else for milk.
Also want to know what happens to breasts when you stop feeding? iv heard before it can be painfull. but thats just when breasts r full of milk ay? i loved them while i was preg but now well hey are scary lookin! is this what they wil always be like? its not like you can do exercises to tone them like your body!! haha,
Chickoin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickoin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:26pm
Haha, mine are gunna saaaaaag! They look terrible when they aren't full of milk Jody's plunket nurse did warn me to be careful about getting mastitis when you're weaning, watch for any painful limps etc.
I am looking forward to getting some decent (well padded ) bras though.
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2009 at 9:46pm
Sooo scared of what my empty boobs will look like
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2009 at 9:26pm
I dropped off each feed really slowly, about 4 feeds over six weeks. My boobs are shamefully saggy, it's funny how they sit so differently in my bra now, all of a sudden bras have a brand new purpose.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2009 at 11:16am
I"m still BFing so can't tell you if they'll hurt when you stop but as for sag. Yip they'll definately never be the same again. But after the last 12 months I'm not surprised -suisked, bitten, headbutted, twisted, stritched..the list goes on. Poor boobs.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>