FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBlocked Duct

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LeeG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeeG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocked Duct
    Posted: 29 November 2009 at 12:18pm
Hi,

Hopefully this is the right spot for this ... I was wondering if anyone had any experience with blocked ducts, what causes them and how to prevent them?

I seem to have got one for the third time and it hurts! I must admit that I've not been to the doctor about it as they always seem to clear within 24 hours - but I'd really like to prevent it happening again if possible... any thoughts?
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 1:57pm
What a PITA!

There are lots of things you can do to prevent them. Some things that can cause blocked ducts are wearing underwire (or too small) bras, holding the breast with your fingers when breastfeeding to make space for the baby to breathe (you shouldn't need to do that, or make the "hamburger" any more), use of a nipple shield, any exercise that requires repetitive movements of the upper arm (been playing tennis or doing weights?), cutting short or interrupting feedings...

Otherwise it can generally be an indication that attachment needs to be improved. If you have largeish breasts then sometimes supporting the boob from underneath can help to promote better drainage, you can use a rolled up flannel or small towel if need be.

If you're prone to blocked ducts and there's nothing that you can specifically identify that might be causing it then varying the position you feed in can help. If you usually feed sitting up, trying lying down, if you normally use the cradle hold, try the football hold, etc. If it keeps happening it might be worth going along to a La Leche League meeting and asking them to check your positioning.

Apparently taking Vitamin C supplements, lecithin supplements, making sure you're getting enough fluids and not too much saturated fat in your diet can also help.

As always there's a useful page over on kellymom

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
pomikiwi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pomikiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 November 2009 at 9:20pm
I've had about 5 blocked ducts with DS on the same (.) and it was a simple latching issue that was easily addressed, yay! So now if I feel one coming on I just check bubs positioning and latch and it seems to prevent it.

Good luck cause they are a PITA and sore!

DD-Carys Amelia 17.03.06
 Post Reply Post Reply