FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedsnack feeding?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snack feeding?
    Posted: 30 November 2009 at 12:55pm
DS is 4 months old next week and our feeding isn't the best. He feeds okay breastfeeding first and second feeds of the day but he always feeds when he gets up and top up before he goes down.

He gets a bottle before bed and sometimes during teh day if I'm trying to get him down and he won't settled. When I offer him a bottle he takes about 120 - 150ml except the before bed bottle when he takes 200ml

He's started waking at 1.30 and 4.30 taking about 100 - 150mls each time. is this snack feeding?

He is on losec for reflux but I wasn't sure whether he had reflux however he's now started screaming during and after feeds, although I'm not sure if this is overtired.

Argh - any advice appreciated!!
Sponsored Links

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 3:32pm
The reflux sounds like a complicating factor, so I can't answer that part, but I just wanted to say my boy never took more than 150ml from a bottle, it was just how much he took at a time.

He's still only 4 months old, don't be worrying about him forming bad habits or anything like that

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 5:47pm
Can you stop the top up before you put him back to bed, it might be worsening the reflux? Or do the top up a little earlier?

Switch the bottle for a dummy?? He might be comfort sucking?

Now I know that Cooper has reflux I've switched the way I do things. I change him & then feed him cause he was crying when I lay him down after a feed or if I've fed him recently I lay him propped on a pillow so he's not flat.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 8:00pm
Thanks for the advice. He doesn't seem to take a dummy, I've tried a whole lot of different ones, but will suck on his hand (which confuses me with whether it is a hunger sign or a tired sign!)
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 9:41pm
The hand sucking thing is just a developmental thing for their age, my wee girl is constantly gnawing on her fists even after a full breastfeed.

And I don't know about the reflux thing either but 100-150mls might just be how much he feels like at the time, I personally don't believe in 'snack' feeding.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2009 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by HippyMama HippyMama wrote:

I personally don't believe in 'snack' feeding.

Me either I have been told several times by my Karitane Nurse that DD (8mths) should be on a maximum of 4 BFs in a 24 hour period, otherwise we'll fall into the dreaded trap of 'snack feeding' Needless to say, I don't listen.

I can't give you any advice re. reflux I'm sorry. I hope you manage to sort things soon. Just really wanted to say don't worry about people telling you he is 'snacking'. I'm sure that you, like myself, have the odd bite to eat here and there, drink between meals and the odd comforting treat of chocolate so I figure babies should be allowed the same discretion with their feeding habits.
 Post Reply Post Reply