FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLaundry Sink & Toilet Water ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Laundry Sink & Toilet Water ?
    Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:54am
Hi all,

I'm just at the stage of putting my nappy system together and I'm just thinking of the easiest way of disposing poo from my prefolds.

I don't mind scraping poo down the loo with a bit of toilet paper, but wondered how easy this is when you get a really messy or sticky poo ? I'll be BF'ing and I've read a few comments that BF poos are worse than formula ones ?

I'd love one of those nappy sprayers, but we're in a rental and our toilet systems are all consealed, so I can't see how that would work.

I thought about rinsing them off in the laundry sink, but I don't think the laundry water goes to the same place as toilet water (to be treated) so that would be pretty gross ?

Any thoughts?

Oh, I was going to use flushable liners, but I've bought some re-usable stay dry liners instead. Guess I could always add a flushable liner if it really helps?

Milliemoo
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:57am
i was always under the impression that the laundry tub water went to the same water treatment place as the toilet.

in the beginning you wont be able to flush the poo as it is liquid so rinsing is your best bet anyway. i use the laundry tub for mine.

some people i know just hold he nappy in the toilet while they flush to get some off that way too.

FreeSpirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FreeSpirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 11:35am
I have a bucket for rinsing my nappies into, then I tip it down the toilet. Works for me - I'm really short and our laundry tub is quite high so it's much easier to use a bucket in the bath (and the water pressure is heaps better from our bathroom taps).
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 3:26pm
I just rinse ours in the laundy tub.

I am pretty sure you can get sprayheads for your laundry sink. I saw some on TM
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 3:30pm
Toilet water and laundry water definitely goes to the same place. We are not nearly advanced enough to have separate sewer systems here - all ends up in the same wastewater treatment plant!

BF poo is only 'worse' than formula poo in that it's more liquid, so it doesn't roll off, but it's pretty easy to rinse off (I just did it in the laundry tub, although I do have a spray hose on my laundry tap). It smells nicer than formula poos (Once you get solids in there you might want to reevaluate how to handle the poos though!)

There's a school of thought that says esp with BF poos, you don't necessarily even need to rinse them off first, you can just throw them in the washing machine and do an extra rinse cycle before washing. You certainly don't need to worry about getting every last bit off in a rinse.

Personally I found flushable liners a bit of a waste of time when JJ was still exclusively breastfed because of how liquid the poos were

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:27am
Thanks for the great replies

Gosh that makes my job a bit easier knowing that it's OK to rinse poo down the laundry sink.

Milliemoo
 Post Reply Post Reply