FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBum Spray :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
yermasyada View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bum Spray :)
    Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:57am
Hi,

Does anyone have any recipes for a 'bum spray' to use for cleaning and protecting baby's bum when changing?

Perhaps something with tea-tree oil ?

My initial thoughts are to have plenty of cloth wipes on hand along with a spay bottle, rather than filling a wee bowl of water each time I need to do a change.

Ohhh also.... any recommendations for natural creams/onitments to use (if needed)?

Milliemoo
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:59am
you would be better off just using water in the beginning. you dont want to upset the balance of the natural oils etc on their skin (thats the same reason some people dont use products in babies baths too)... i just wet my flannels in the bathroom before i use them. you can also buy wipe cubes that you soak your wipes in with water, i think mothers instinct do them.

Edited by Bizzy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 10:05am
Cool x Thanks for the tip

Milliemoo
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 3:24pm
I used to put a couple of drops of tea tree oil in my wipes water .

And I used tui balm on dd when she was little . You can get it from Hardys . Is good whenthey have dry skin as well
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2009 at 9:23pm
I just use Alpha Keri oil in water here. The oilier the water the easier it is to get the pooh off the bum.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
kiwivic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwivic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:09am
I've only ever used plain water and a cloth wipe for nappy changes and I've not had any problems getting poo off. I think it makes a difference what sort of fabric you have though - I think one side sherpa or towelling makes a good bum wipe as it has a bit of grip which is good for no.2's

Vic xx

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:25am
Thanks for all the replies

I think I'll have a big stash of cloth wipes and fill a spray bottle with warm water each morning and see how I go from there.

Milliemoo
Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 11:33am
I just use muslin squares (4 layers thick) and water on DS. I keep a bowl of water next to the change table to wet them. Easy peasy.

I've tried various natural creams for the odd occasion where his bum gets a bit red, and the best one I've found is this one

I normally just put it on at night as a barrier.

We did get a thing of Happy Heiny spray from Snazzipants before DS was born, but honestly I've never really used it.

Edited by Joscia
RetteSpaghetti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RetteSpaghetti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 12:35pm
M'moo - I don't think a spray bottle will give you enough water to wet the cloth. Unless you spray it a zillion times until it's soaked!
My best advice is to buy a big plastic container of Wet Wipes. Use the wipes for something else (great for getting stains of clothes actually!). Put a few clean precut cloths in the empty container each change, and then fill it with a little warm water. If you just fill it once in the morning, babe will cop a cold wet bum each time you change him!
The others are right. Have a mix of toweling (rough surface to cope with poo) and soft muslin cloths. Also, you don't need to add anything to the water at all.
x

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 3:39pm
hummm I thought room temp water would be OK. It's not like it would be cold, just not tap warm. My idea was to spray baby's bum rather than the wipe. If baby didn't like that, It would only take a couple of sprays on the wipe. I prefer having the water in an enclosed container (keep it fresher) and like the convieniance of filling once in the morning. I may invest in an insulated spray bottle though

Milliemoo
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 4:03pm
Room temp wipes are not a problem. Normal wipes are the same temp.

I'm still using up my J&J nappy liners so once they are all gone I'll have to upgrade. They don't grab the pooh that well.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 5:01pm
Oh yup... never thought about wipes being room temp too

I guess it's trial and error for what works best for you. I know some people don;t even like change tables (and just use a mat on the floor) but I just can't get my head round that at all! LOL then I've got a friend who thinks a change table is a waste of money. Each to their own I guess.

Milliemoo
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 5:05pm
the safest place to change a baby is the floor!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yermasyada Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 5:33pm
LOL I'm not going to argue with that, but that doesn't mean a change table is 'unsafe'

Milliemoo
 Post Reply Post Reply