FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIntroducing dairy to BF babies

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introducing dairy to BF babies
    Posted: 14 December 2009 at 1:59pm
**Disclaimer** I'm in no way anti-formula and don't want to offend anyone or start a debate.

When did you introduce dairy to your babies diet? Did anyone delay it? Corban is 7mths now but I am reluctant to give him dairy products and still use EBM in his cooking instead of cows milk. Is it really necessary for him to have dairy at this age? He is still having 5 BF's a day. It's drummed into us that "breast is best", so how are dairy products any different to formula on a young babies gut?

Edited by Mrs_B
Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 2:16pm
i remember hand expressing my milk to mix with the boys farex when i started solids with them... i think tho the other way they got it was when i put milk in their cereal or yoghurt.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 4:11pm
I use the fortified rice milk if I want to vary it from the water.

The only reason I'm not introducing dairy products is that he reacted to dairy in my diet through BM at an early age. Still does if I've been naughty. If I could give him dairy products it would be so much easier as it's in lots of bought baby foods.

Unless you make all of your baby food you might find you've already exposed Corban to dairy products.

BM also from around 6 months loses some of it's nutrition which is why solids are introduced. I think he will still be getting all the calcium through his BF's but if he was dropping to 3 then I'd look at putting calcium in in another form.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 8:28pm
Some dairy products arent as harsh I think..like yoghurt and cheese...and scalded milk so those are the ones to start with.

I am wanting to start introducing milk as a drink soon...tried it a few days ago but he started vomitting....which I dont think is from the milk (timing wasnt there) but I dont want to try again till he is totally back to normal.
Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2009 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Aliasmum Aliasmum wrote:

Unless you make all of your baby food you might find you've already exposed Corban to dairy products.

I do make all of his food and if I do give him jar food I always check the ingredients to make sure it doesn't contain dairy.
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 8:05am
Is there any particular reason you've avoided dairy products? Family history?

You could try starting to introduce dairy with cheese slices. They have a really good amount of calcium in them. I can't remember the equivalence to milk but I think it would be like giving them a cup of milk.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
 Post Reply Post Reply