FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked3 year olds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by joshierocks joshierocks wrote:

I know I've said this a few times already in the past, but I have a memory like a sieve and I can't recall what your answer was.... But her dislike of food, inabilitly to keep still, rocking and making loud noises are all quite pointed indicators of Autism. Has she been seen by anyone like a psychologist? Someone who could figure out if there were things you could be doing to combat these things?

Yeap a while ago but as she is so strong with language and empathy they thought it unlikely. However my GP may send us for assessment for autistic spectrum / ADHD stuff. The rocking etc ONLY occur in the night....never ever in the daytime so they suspected a sleep disorder of some sort but had no suggestions for how to help it.
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Sponsored Links

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2010 at 9:48pm
you know we have watched Elles issues for a while on here...and u know I dont bite my tongue - so read or not.....and honestly apart from the night time I would go with normal...Elle is a normalthree year old....but the night time behaviour is the biggest giveaway that something is not right I think.

Ask you doctor to give a referral for Whirinaki or the local equivalent for you if you dont fit in to them....I think Elle sounds like she needs to be assessed and I am with the last post where she may be high functioning autistic - she is def a bright child but will need guidance at school by sounds of it. She can speak now and her behaviour can be assessed much better than a year or so again when you were having issues....def get her reassessed before she gets to school and you have the pleasure of them referring you to SES or the RTLB systems etc...

I am sorry to see that night issues remainfor you (and her) - and no they are not normal.....but may be symptomatic signs of what is really going on....if she was sleeping normally I would say you have a perfectly normal 3 year old girl.

Edited by Bombshell
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 5:05pm
She has been much better since I cut out dairy. She can tolerate some but if she has it daily her behaviour goes to pot. I'm very pleased with the way is is behaving at the mo.

I've spoken with her Kindy teachers and they have no concerns. She is very empathetic, her language is amazing (she had 5 words by 9.5months). Her imaginery play is really amazing. Based on the empathy, language and play we've been told there is no way she is high functioning autistic.

The current belief is that she has Rhythmic Movement Disorder. It is usually a stand alone sleep disorder. She has it to a severe degree combined with a REM cycle disorder. So she is in light sleep longer than most people and the RMD occurs during that. It naturally leads to less than restful sleep and hence tiredness and behavioural issues can sometimes be a side effect during bad episodes

In some cases RMD is linked to ADHD so that is what we need to watch for when she starts school. As always it is unknown which comes first...a sleep disorder and hence behaviour issues or a brain wiring issue and hence a sleep disorder. At present signs are good as she can sit still at kindy during mat time, listens well, puts her hand up if asked questions etc. So fingers crossed it is all ok.

It goes without saying that she is what many would consider "quirky" but let's face it...quirky / brilliant people are world-changers.
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:37am
Fiona, I don't have children myself and the child I'm going to mention is the child of a friend of a friend so I don't know them well but Gabrielle sounds just like her son. He is friendly, chatty and shows emotion but rarely sleeps and will only eat plain rice or crackers, that is it. He has been recently placed at the Aspergers end of the Austim spectrum (I think that is right) and the mum said to me that apart from having a few quirky habits, sleep issues and things like not understanding sarcasm he is just like every other kid. I only mention it because from what you have explained Gabrielle sounds a lot like him.

I hope I haven't spoken out of place, she sounds like a delightful wee girl and an active imagination has to be a great thing!
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 10:10am
Thanks Summerlamb. How old is her boy?

See Elle does sleep...almost always up until 1am and then again after 5am. This week she has slept through every night. She eats loads of fruit, bread, crackers, cheese, carrot, mince (yay!) and now some pasta (yay!)....we've been working really hard on textures and tastes and are making good progress.

Not sure about the sarcasm thing as Elle appears to use it sometimes but I'm not sure if that is even possible at 3.

Would be really interested to hear more about your friends boy though. Thank you.
clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 12:20pm
He is 3 as well, was diagnosed at the end of last year I believe. The mother is a friend of a friend so I will try and get her details and let you know, I could get an email address for her if you wanted to get in touch.

I'm not sure what age they would pick up on sarcasm. It came up in our conversation when she was talking about the possible impact it would have on him in the future where she said that he may have problems understanding boundaries, peoples personal space and was likely to take everything very literally and not understand when people were being sarcastic.

From what I saw he was very bright, the particular example was that I was astounded at his problem solving skills to move a large BBQ table to access an area he wanted, it was when I commented on this that I was told of his autism. He was put to bed while we were there and had gone to sleep but he aparently frequently wakes during the night.

This all came from one conversation I had with the mum but I am sure she would be more than happy to speak with you so do let me know if you would like her details.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12