FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedadding second meal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mollycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mollycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: adding second meal
    Posted: 10 January 2010 at 11:03am
Hello - I did a search but didn't find anything, maybe I"m just worthless LOL.

We started Ryan on solids last Sunday (so a week ago today). He got 3 spoonfuls and we slowly increased the amount until he got up to 10 spoonfuls on Friday. Then Saturday he managed to eat 2 Tablespoons and today he had a 1/4 cup. He would have kept eating but I thought that was enough for now.

My question is: according to Plunket you can introduce a second meal once your baby gets to eating 1/4 cup at one meal. Is it too soon to give Ryan a second meal since it's only been a week since he started solids?

Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 1:34pm
Short answer is no. Some babies take to solids really quick and will quickly progress to 3 meals and others take a while longer. So if he is eating well at one meal offer another, if he's not keen then just leave it a week or so and try that second meal again. If he is keen then that's all fine.

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 4:03pm
Not at all. Ava started between Xmas and New Years and was eating 1/4-1/2 cup twice a day a few days ago. She's a wee piggy!
mumtooboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 5:12pm
I'm going to be a dissenting opinion. LOL

My personal view is that it's NOT a race and solids are supposed to complement their milk intake not become a major part of their diet right away. Milk has way more fat and calories ounce for ounce than any food you can be offering so I'd take it slowly. Just because you can doesn't mean that you should or that you have to.

Making the transition to solid food can be really hard on their tummies and by loading them up quickly you can exacerbate this problem....in fact DS2 got so bunged up 2 weeks in that I went back to only offering 2-3 times a week and once his tummy had settled again I started offering everyday.

His first month on solids he only had one 'meal', we introduced a second meal a month later and about 3 weeks after that we introduced the third meal. Until they are between 9-12 months old they don't actually NEED solids at all. A side effect of introducing solids too quickly with DS1 was that he started to refuse milk, and as he was a 'lightweight' this was the last thing we needed him to do.

It's up to you as the parent to do what you feel is best but if it were me I'd hold off for a bit longer.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2010 at 10:26pm
Will just rebuke that point - they actually need solids from 6 months to supplement their iron intake As it starts dipping then.

Mollycat, Ryan will probably tell you when he needs more. Both of my kids started complaining when they weren't getting enough and wanted more (by grizzling when they saw me eat). I offered and they wanted it, simple as that.
mumtooboys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumtooboys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 11:14am
That is one of those great urban myths, especially if we are talking about a bf baby. A full term exclusively bf baby has enough iron stores to usually last a MINIMUM of six months(usually 9-12 months), and it's not like some magic wand gets waved when they hit 6 months and bam their iron stores are starting to deplete, or as some believe depleted.   This is one of those stupid things that we (and other countries) took from the Americans, where they regularly supplement their babies/toddlers with iron just because they've reached a certain age.

This also doesn't necessarily apply to ff babies because the iron from formula and food isn't as readily absorbed (bioavailable) as it is in bm. Even so, iron fortified formula is still going to have all the iron in it that they need . Ideally you should be trying to get the iron from natural sources because the iron from iron fortified foods don't actually absorb that well. There are things you can do to boost their absorption of iron without upping their solids intake unnecessarily.

In case anyone actually wants to know WHERE I got my info from, you can find it here.
Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by mumtooboys mumtooboys wrote:

That is one of those great urban myths, especially if we are talking about a bf baby. A full term exclusively bf baby has enough iron stores to usually last a MINIMUM of six months(usually 9-12 months), and it's not like some magic wand gets waved when they hit 6 months and bam their iron stores are starting to deplete, or as some believe depleted.   This is one of those stupid things that we (and other countries) took from the Americans, where they regularly supplement their babies/toddlers with iron just because they've reached a certain age.

This also doesn't necessarily apply to ff babies because the iron from formula and food isn't as readily absorbed (bioavailable) as it is in bm. Even so, iron fortified formula is still going to have all the iron in it that they need . Ideally you should be trying to get the iron from natural sources because the iron from iron fortified foods don't actually absorb that well. There are things you can do to boost their absorption of iron without upping their solids intake unnecessarily.

In case anyone actually wants to know WHERE I got my info from, you can find it here.

This is my understanding as well mumtooboys. I too think it's not a race. I know of many babies who haven't taken to solids till they were around 8,9,10 mths a couple who were even 12mths.. Oh and they are all perfectly healthy They were all exclusively BF mind you.

To the OP, just take your time - if baby wants more than by all means oblige, but if it takes a while that is perfectly normal too. My DD spent one month on 'one meal' a day, then going to 3 meals 6 weeks after starting solids. She still (at 9mths) has days where she doesn't eat a whole lot. Just go with what your instincts tell you.
mollycat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mollycat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2010 at 8:29am
thanks for the replies. I will say upfront that I would have loved to wait until RYan was 6 months before starting him on solids (due to food allergies on my DH's side) but after about 3 weeks of Ryan crying/screaming with hunger after almost every breastfeed, watching me eat, etc I decided to try him on some pumpkin. My personal preference was to introduce solids rather than formula. (And I tried everything to up my supply in case that was it - ate heaps of protein, drank lots of water, was on my pump 40 minutes a day to simulate more supply - but nothing seemed to make him satisfied).

After his first meal of pumpkin he was super content and happy and had a 3 hour nap!

So - I have decided to introduce a second meal as he seems very hungry.   For instance - yesterday he sucked me absolutely dry, then 45 minutes later ate 1/2c of pumpkin, then 20mins later (after his shower) he plowed through another 120mls of EBM that I'd managed to store away. And after all that he STILL woke up at 4am and had a HUGE feed. He's a fairly big baby - but only in terms of length, his weight is average so he's long and lean. It's not like he's eating so much that he's getting chubby rolls - he can barely seem to eat enough to cope with how long he is growing. Honestly - who knew I was incubating a basketball player!

In regards to his system, he seems to be coping well. There will always be an adjustment period but he used to be on the maximum dosage of Gaviscon for a LONG time so he is quite used to having slow bowels...

Post Reply Post Reply