FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFatal dangers of cold sores to newborns

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 9:09pm

Thanks for passing this on Emiloly!

Sponsored Links

?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 January 2010 at 10:15pm
No problem. It's still making me tear up tho.
Captain Chaos (5) & the Trouble Monsters (2!)
EmDee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmDee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:46am
Wow,I'd never heard of this before, thank you for posting this!

DS 8
DD 6
DS 4
DD 2
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:02am
This story really effected me. I don't get cold sores but my sister does, and without getting tested for the virus I have no idea if I had antibodies. It kept me up with wondering how well know this was so I had to post it.
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:08am
Thats soo sad.

Just FYI for those pf you who do suffer

FDA pregnancy category B. This medication is not expected to be harmful to an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment. Herpes virus can be passed from an infected mother to her baby during childbirth. If you have genital herpes, it is very important to prevent herpes lesions during your pregnancy so that you do not have a genital lesion when your baby is born. Zovirax passes into breast milk and may harm a nursing infant. Do not take this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.

More info specifically can be found her for breastfeeding etc http://www.drugs.com/pregnancy/acyclovir.html

After a few years in pharmacy It is my understanding that the medicine for genital herpes is more concern than the cream you apply to your lips, but as with all meds during pregnancy have a chat with your doctor first. I think the important thing to remember is the pros vs the cons of using a drug during pregnancy and your doc will weight these up before prescribing.
http://lilypie.com]
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 4:23pm
Wow thanks for posting this! But so sad at the same time. I tend to get coldsore a lot *sigh* run down or not. Had a few whilst pregnant but might as mw bout it at next appointment...
RBsMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RBsMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:26pm
This is so sad I didn't know it was possible for babies to die from a cold sore. I had a few while I was pregnant and my chemist wouldn't sell me any coldsore medication either, so I used white toothpaste, and that dried them up, quite well. My DH hasn't had one yet and I did have one while I was BFing.
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:36pm
I think if you have regular cold sores you already have antibodies that you will pass to bubs?? Not 100% sure how that works.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 9:43pm
That is a sad story, but:

everybody who's now worried about their babies getting sick because they often get cold sores - please don't be! If you have the virus already (as 85% of us do, like blondy pointed out) then you will have antibodies. Those antibodies will be passed on to bubs (not sure if that's prenatally or through colostrum etc - so if you aren't planning to breastfeed then it might be something to look into) so they should be immune.

I've never had a cold sore but have been exposed numerous times (the rest of my family have all had it) so figure I have the antibodies anyway

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2010 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by HUNTD HUNTD wrote:

bring on the herpes lol

Given the subject being discussed, a baby dying, that's a little bit insensitive in the way it comes across.

I know that Charlotte is aware of these discussions and is very hurt, having been accused of being a hoaxer and seeing people joking about herpes.

She's pleased that the person here has passed on her story as she wants to raise awareness but she is a real person behind the story and still grieving for her beautiful daughter.

And Charlotte, if you come back and read this, sorry for butting in but I can't see you hurt without speaking out about it. ((((hugs))))
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 8:36am
I honestly don't think anyone on here intended anything remotely hurtful - it is such a horrific thing to have happened

I hope she didn't think anyone here accused her of being a hoaxer? Our OB community is generally very supportive, and I believe many of us have been genuinely upset and saddened by her situation.

I think any discussion like this where we don't personally know the people involved may unfortunately come across as being insensitive. I hope things start getting easier for her soon.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:04am
I agree Blondy.

JodyR this is defiantly one of the more friendly and sensitive baby sites out there. Most of us have been chatting here for a long time and know that none of the comments here were made to offend. I can understand if you personally know the poor woman that lost her child why you would be sensitive to any comments made about her situation but I think if you spent some time on this site getting to know the woman that are chatting you would understand that we are all just people chatting about something extremely scary.
Please don't take offense I think it is extremely unfair and tragic what has happened. I also think it is very brave and noble thing that this courageous woman is spreading her story so that others are more aware.

Edited by lisa85

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:13am
Just to point out quickly that there is a link to this thread on the FB page.

Aprilfools View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aprilfools Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 9:52am
This is very very sad.
I don't know enough about coldsores to be giving any 'medical' type opinions but thought I would also say that a friends baby wasn in hospital last year with viral meningitis and she was told that it was possible it could have been from someone with a coldsore kissing him.

JodyR no one was accused of being a hoax or a fake, the question was simply asked which that person had a right to do. You can't tell people off for being wary on the internet given the weirdos out there; as you have said this is an open forum. As for providing evidence if you think someone is a fake (referring to post in first baby section also), it's just as important if you are trying to get your story out.

I really am truly sorry for this family but you can't put an international ban on humour or sit there monitoring all forums in case someone makes a joke. As previously mentioned yes this is an open forum but it's also an online community and if you had bothered to get a feel for this site and the people on it before telling people off you would see that no harm was meant and it was people that 'know' each other having a conversation.

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:01am
I think you said it perfectly Aprilfools

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:20am
Well said Aprilfools!

WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:24am
Totally agree with Aprilfools!

You cant come onto a thread and tell off a bunch of people who all know each other for discussing something in their own ways something your friend wants awareness raised for which is what we are doing.
?Lolly? View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ?Lolly? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 10:37am
I have actually emailed Charlotte and told her that our online community is very close and that no offence was intended by any comments made. I linked to this thread on her group as I felt she had a right to know I had posted her story.

I know your all good people and I loves you all
IVFGirl1111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IVFGirl1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:22am
It is a very sad story.

As a coldsore sufferer for years (I got my first coldsore when I was 6 months old)! - Doctors over the years have said that you are either born with the virus or not.

You ALWAYS have the virus even if you cant physically see a coldsore. I get them if Im run down, get bumped in the mouth, salt n vineger chips! Anything! They are awful things!

I can never give one to DH though - as he doesnt carry the virus. He can share anything of mine and not get one - yet if I use anything of his - I'll get one straight away!

So pretty much if you havent had one by now your probably one of the lucky ones that dont carry the virus!

Ps/ Whoever said they body is immune to Zoverax - mine is to and it sux! Zoverax is awesome stuff, I like the new commend patches - but no way does it beat zoverax.
TTC 6 years
IVF it is
IVF/ICSI round one
10 eggs, 8 mature, 3 fertilised BFN
IVF/ICSI #2 = 22 eggs!
20 mature, 15 fertilised, 1 fresh transfer and 2 frosties
BFN
2 Frosties still in freezer thank god
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 11:31am
Thanks everyone for your replies to me, I know I am a stranger to your group and such it must feel a bit startling for you all to have me suddenly appear and tell you my friend is upset by two of the people who have commented in these posts.

Blondy I thank you for your comments to me, it was suggested on the other thread that Charlotte may be a hoaxer and she was very upset to read that, as were her friends because we know that sadly she is very genuine.

Lisa85 thank you also, I know things come across very differently when you know the person who is saying them and also the same thing when written down can be read differently by the people who read it. As an established group I can see how you already know each other and judge how a comment was intended.

Aprilfools yes people do have a right to question what they believe on the internet and I do advise caution but it was suggested Charlotte was a hoaxer and sadly she isn't and she was hurt to see that written on here. Charlotte and myself are both members of a bereavement site where caution is advised and any concerns can be quietly reported to admin, which saves upsetting genuine people while also weeding out any fakes. But the person who questioned Charlotte's validity also stated that her baby could have died from anything, casting doubt on the post mortem evidence when she had no reason to do so. Charlotte is raising awareness and I am certain she would have answered any questions raised to her by anyone who had doubts about the facts of her story.

I'm also not trying to put a ban on humour but there is no humour whatsoever in the death of a baby and saying "bring on the herpes lol" is not actually funny when you are entering a discussion about a baby who has died because of the virus.

I am sure that no harm was intended but harm was caused.

WRXandJosh I haven't come on this site and told a bunch of people off, I've told two people that their comments have caused hurt to a woman who is kind and genuine and trying to help others even though she is grieving.

Charlotte has welcomed the discussion and is pleased that most people are taking this so seriously but it has hurt her to see two seperate people cast doubts and make a joke. The majority of people who have commented on this site have been wonderful in their understanding and have taken on board how tragic Charlotte's loss is and how serious a simple cold sore can be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>