FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat do you do

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
kellie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by caitlynsmygirl caitlynsmygirl wrote:

Are you 22 now Kel ?
hmm, that means, in a few years, you will probably be on even more ....

Do you want to marry me and support me financially ?

lol Kelly
24 now

Now we have moved to a rural town and if I go back I would have to catch up on so much.

Edited by kellie
Sponsored Links

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 6:19pm
Im an Occupational Therapist and earnt over $65,000. Think I got there after about 5 years?

So dont worry Eva you will get there sooner than you think

julzw View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julzw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 6:43pm
I'm an accountant. Pay is good, and it's reasonably easy to get contracting work from home, which works in really well with children.

The down side is that it takes 7 years to get fully qualified (including uni) and a head for numbers is pretty essential
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:35pm
Wow I feel embarrassed that DH and I together won't earn 'much' as some put it!

There's no way in hell many people in their mid 20's to mid 30's would get paid over 50k down here. My mums been working in the same law firm for 30+ years (is the CEO) and is only on $130k.

Sheesh, I really shouldn't have followed my heart and become a teacher, I should've moved into IT or something lol
caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 8:37pm
I reckon Emz !
you know that song "listen to your heart "
yeah ...pffft ,what a crock

GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

There's no way in hell many people in their mid 20's to mid 30's would get paid over 50k down here. My mums been working in the same law firm for 30+ years (is the CEO) and is only on $130k.

I think it depends on the type of role Emz because all of our friends who are working easily earn over $50k and we are early 30s. Mostly in IT and sales roles.
solitairediamond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote solitairediamond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:46pm
I qualifed as a speech and language therapist last year but due to lack of jobs will be studying again this year ... I start a graduate diploma in teaching and learning (primary). Hope I'm more hire-able after this!!

Edited by solitairediamond
[IMG]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/9p2jp12.png [IMG]
Raspberryjam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 9:57pm
well yeah solitairediamond - thats another dilema i had, I dont want to work really hard at studying and then not get a job, especially now that Im getting a bit older and it will be 4 years before Im earning again.
http://lilypie.com]
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:14pm
I was a planner (resource management) & I worked for a private consultancy. They tend to pay slightly more than Councils... I think the pay is reasonably good & I was earning more than $60k after only having worked in the field for 3 years or so before going on mat leave...

Raspberry jam, not sure if you have a degree already or not but if you do you can study for a Masters in Planning Practice - "only" takes 2 years...

No offence to anyone but we'd be seriously struggling if DH earned $50k...
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by LittleSal LittleSal wrote:

Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

I think it depends on the type of role Emz because all of our friends who are working easily earn over $50k and we are early 30s. Mostly in IT and sales roles.

I agree with this.

Originally posted by sally belly sally belly wrote:

No offence to anyone but we'd be seriously struggling if DH earned $50k...

So would we but that's because we don't know any different.
I have a great respect for people who do manage to do so with kids in the package too.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:37pm
Well those on min wage only get $12.50 an hour or $26k a year. I dunno how those people do it. Of course soon they will be getting $6 a week more.

I would think also that Auckland wages would be weighted because of the more expensive living costs so probably not best to look at Auckland wages if not living in Auckland. Most people I know down here (chch) are not earning over 60k and many are earning much less.

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:41pm
Kellie that sounds like good money to me (not quite in the know about that area but still...) Makes me think you should get Julia to hook you up for your next job though

DH earns a little over 50k and it isn't easy but thank god for WFF and the accom supplement. I always thought 50k wasn't too bad for a solo income. Haha guess it helps to have low expectations

Buttersmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buttersmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 10:43pm
Radiographer here currently doing mammography.   Great job with lots of different aspects to go into. You would probably only get 65K if you had a charge position or depending on where you live or work.   If you work at the hospital you can earn heaps doing shift and on call and weekend work but you probably don't want to be doing that with young kiddies

my little blobby April 09 "gone but will never be forgotten xx"
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:13am
Not everyone is suited to work in IT, I'm working for a web design company and its boring boring boring. They can have their big dollars I'd rather have a job that's interesting and paying a moderate salary than a dead boring one and being on 100K plus.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:14am
[QUOTE=sally belly] I was a planner (resource management) & I worked for a private consultancy. They tend to pay slightly more than Councils... I think the pay is reasonably good & I was earning more than $60k after only having worked in the field for 3 years or so before going on mat leave...

Raspberry jam, not sure if you have a degree already or not but if you do you can study for a Masters in Planning Practice - "only" takes 2 years...

Hey sally belly, I dont have a degree as yet, in my past life I did a diploma to work as a pharmacy technician. This year no one is offering Environmental management extramurally, so I may have to start it with the open polytech, providing the course credits match aut or masseys degree course. I could do the whole degree through the polytech, and post grad or masters through uni. Am just waiting for the polytech to get back to me.
Id prefer to only do my first year offsite but I, just going to have to wait and see what the Uni's are planning for next year
Good to know private practice also pays well, Thanks!
SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:28am
I'm a medical laboratory technician, or was, until I was made redundant from DML last year.

I worked in the Biochemistry Department, and did blood and urine tests (all those hCG's and ferritins!). Was on about $37k, top of the pay scale for techs until you become a 'senior'.

My degree is in Molecular Biosciences, and is not recognised by the medical lab science board so absolutely no benefit to having it in the profession (has to be a BMLS). I'll need to do another 2.5 years part-time study (on the job, can't do at home or at uni) to get paid closer to $45k (starting), so unlikely to happen for a while yet! The profession is going to the dogs (or the DHB's...) so I'm not sure i'll go back at all!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raspberryjam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:48am
squishysmum that is so dissapointing, Is there post grad ou could do to change your career choices?
If everyone on here hadnt off been so helpful I would have gone to the careers advisor at one of the unis to see what suited my preferences the best. I dont want to end up in a similar position as you and not have job choices. That must have been a hard degree to complete, sounds full on!
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:53am
Wow, DP Earns 37k a year (roughly) at the moment! And I will be on maybe 9k when I go back part-time. Though DP has just graduated so will start job hunting soon, waiting to see there may be some jobs come up at his work. I'm planning to start studying HR next year, does anyone do this what are the salary potentials in HR? I have retail management experience if that helps at all (probably doesn't) Sorry not meaning to TJ either!

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 8:57am
I'm a speech language therapist and after 6 years experience and masters degree (get paid extra for having it) I was on 65k....

solitairediamond - sorry to hear there is no work around what area were you looking? maybe I shouldn't have given up my position LOL
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:06am
DH earns about 33k per year, which we find quite hard to live on as a family. He is a chef. I honestly don't know how we would do it without WFF and accommodation supplement.

I'm starting a Bachelor of Midwifery next week, and when I start working I'm told that my starting salary should be about double that. Things are going to seem so easy for us then, financially, I imagine!

Although our rent is only $290 per week, and if we had a mortgage I'm not sure how we would be surviving.
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>