FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCarseats and a hatchback

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carseats and a hatchback
    Posted: 25 January 2010 at 4:37pm
for those of you who dont know we are TTC #1 but i like to plan ahead!

I have a Mazda Lantis hatchback (4door but on the smaller size) im wondering if it is going to be big enough for a carseat in the back and about how the anchor points work in a hatchback?

also wondering what carseats and capsules are smaller? i am, of course, going to try anything before i buy it but would like some ideas

Edited by H2289
Sponsored Links

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 6:57pm
We have a Hyundai Gets and we have the capsule in it at the moment with the base. The front passenger seat is sitting up right and has been moved forward quite a bit for it to fit.

We also have a convertable car seat in our other car rear faced and to be honest it takes up about the same amount of room as the capsule and base because of the recline. So if it were in the Gets we'd face the same problem.

As for the anchor points, in the Gets its on the back panel near the bottom if that makes sense. The strap that goes around the capsule and into the anchor point goes over the boot which is a PITA cos it takes up boot space.

I think both normal car seats and capsules are around the same size when rear faced but once the car seat is front faced you would have more room again.
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Jaxnz1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaxnz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2010 at 9:47pm
I have a Ford Focus hatchback and a P&T's bebe capsule. My DH can fit in the passenger seat with the capsule behind in the back seat, so is very compact.

SquishysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquishysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 11:20am
We have a toyota corolla hatchback, and a mothers choice convertible carseat from farmers. It fit well, but only goes up to 9kg rear-facing. We managed to stretch it out until 10kg (for a big road trip down country) but as soon as we went home, it went front-facing (10 months old).
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2010 at 4:02pm
We have a mazda3 and a safensound convertible. It works fine, although the front passenger seat does have to be reasonably far forward, more so than in the lancer sedan. The anchor is on the back of the seats, so the strap goes over into the boot but it isn't in the way in the boot.
sweetpea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetpea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 2:40pm
I too have a hatch back mine is a daewoo lanos and was wondering how much boot space the straps take up as mine would attach on the back panel. does anyone know if you can get the anchor points moved?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 3:43pm
Hmm good question sweatpea. Might have to ask DH when he gets home tonight cos I'd like to move ours if we can. Having said that the only other place it could go would be the roof lining otherwise it wouldnt be straight.

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2010 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Jaxnz1 Jaxnz1 wrote:

I have a Ford Focus hatchback and a P&T's bebe capsule. My DH can fit in the passenger seat with the capsule behind in the back seat, so is very compact.

Do these have a base or do they just fasten with a seat belt?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 2:11am
Dh says that an engineer/someone certified would need to move an anchor point as most modern cars have them designed into the car in the factory.

lottieandharry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lottieandharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2010 at 4:51pm
If you need anchor point advice look for a Safe2go technician in your area. We have a mobile one in Chch who came to our house and fitted the bolt. They should know where they can be attached in different cars. The child restraint safety website is also great for tether bolt advice.

Child restraint safety

safe2go

Post Reply Post Reply