FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHeart Children roll call

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>
Author
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2011 at 4:04pm
High9 I haven't had anything to do with PDA other than hearing about it but if you want to talk to someone I'm here it is a scary prospect but we all understand and know what it feels like

Sponsored Links

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2011 at 9:48pm
I don't know too much about a PDA either High9 but yes you are in the right place. Jake had a PDA but it was the minor issue compared to the other problems. They fixed it while he was in surgery for his other defects. I think they usually either close up on their own (all bubs have that hole when born and it usually closes in a few days) or they do it in the cath lab - still scary but at least not open heart surgery. I'd assume with your daughter being older that its not closing on its own. Wonder why they didnt pick it up sooner. Does she have any symptoms apart from the murmur?

Limochick - good luck with the surgery!!
And thanks re DD's tear duct surgery -- she had it done 7 months ago and is in the unlucky 2% who it didn't work for! I'm not sure how long the waitlist is right now but it was 6 months last time she went in, and 1 month when I had something done recently. Happy to wait til after Xmas to be honest!
When I said heart failure - that was the medical term for what was happening - but he didn't go blue or stop breathing so not that sort of scary. I had to drive straight to starship from the GP, but no ambulance or anything. It was probably more scary the next day when we found out what was really the problem!

Edited by Nikki
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2011 at 4:30pm
Nikki I hope this next surgery is more successful!!

hey girls I was wondering if you were keen to start a heart group on facebook and add people that we know, what do you think??

WEB111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEB111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2011 at 6:00pm
Hi people,

I have just found this forum, I have a 6 month old heart baby. She has Truncus arteriosus repaired at 8 days old. She also has other complications caused by her heart condition which are, ironically, more concerning now than her heart!

We had a pretty rough time for the first few months like most of you guys from what I have been reading. Nice to find others who have been through the similar things with surgery, Starship stays, weight gain etc.

Hope all your kiddies are doing great!!
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 3:44pm
Welcome WEB111. :)

So do I Limochick -- got a letter yesterday and its another 6 month waiting list for Morgys eyes. also got a letter about the study Jake is in (Early Prediction of Brain Damage after Heart Surgery in Infants --- which they are now calling Hearts and Minds, sounds a bit nicer!) and he has to go back at 6yrs for two developmental/neurobehavioural tests and an MRI!

A facebook page sounds great!! Good idea.

Let us know how Quins surgery goes .....
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 4:30pm
I started a facebook group and joined those of you who are on my friends list but if you want to join just let me know my facebook name is Alicia Gestro

Nikki - bummer about the 6month waiting list Wow that study would be quite interesting. Do they think early surgeries can affect them??

hi web111 sorry to hear about your little girl

I have to start the organising of what we need to take to starship and what stays at home for the inlaws to bring up, I can't wait lol!!! Will deffinetly all let you know how Quin gets on.

WEB111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WEB111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 6:02pm
Hi,

I would be keen to join the facebook group, my name is Wendy McGeown. I will try and find you on there

I am really interested in the Hearts and Minds study as we have been told all along that we are facing at the least a mild developmental delay at worst severe brain damage. Hoping to get a brain MRI done early next year when we are next at Starship. Molly had a cardiac arrest and 10 minutes of CPR and a couple of other very serious incidents which may have compromised her brain. So far developmentally she is slightly behind but doing better than most doctors predicted

So glad I found this group! I see there is another heart mummy on here with a Truncus baby, although their journey sounds a bit different to ours it is nice to know that her little girl is doing well now

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 9:09pm
Hi sorry forgot to come back! Umm well the heart murmur wasn't picked up until she went to A&E about 3-4 months ago now but when we saw a gp at our local clinic he thought it sounded in a different area to where A&E said the murmur was so he wasn't sure if he was imagining it or not but a second opinion 2 weeks later from another GP at our local clinic agreed with the doc from A&E. However almost 2 weeks ago now that paed said it sounded different to the kids he gets in with heart murmurs. We got a follow up letter from our appointment, still waiting for an ultrasound and echo but won't know much until then but if it is PDA then they will most likely do catheter insertion to plug it up. She's 20 months. The letter did mention open heart surgery but only as a last resort.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 9:11pm
Just want to add the first doctor from our clinic heard it in the area where the paed did so paed said he was most likely hearing the same thing if that makes sense?

It's a pretty scary thing to think about though had I not pushed for her to see a paed - what would have happened?

My cousin has a heart baby too. But not sure what her condition is.
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2011 at 9:46pm
Wendy I've just sent a friend request so I can try to add you to the group. :)

high9 - my sister used to work in the cath lab :) Not sure what would have happened if they hadn't found it then - I assume she would start to show signs of going downhill eventually. Jakes was fixed at 6wks as he was having surgery anyway so I didn't know too much about it apart from what they told me (mentioned above). Hopefully you will get an appt date soon.

Limochick - yep theres a 30% chance of brain damage having their hearts stopped for open heart surgery at that age!! When they say damage they mean "brain changes" and not all of it is serious or even will affect them at all. But developmental delays are normal and we were warned of it. Jake was fine and did everything early-ish (rolled at 12wks, crawled at 6mths, pulled up and walked around furniture at 7mths, pushing along toys at 8mths, proper walking 3 days after his b'day, talked really early etc). He had a check as part of the study at 2yrs and scored ahead of his age in all the areas and well ahead in a couple of areas, so that was a huge relief. His brain also showed very little change (MRI before / after and monitored during surgery). Its been a bit of a pain - taking him back for appts etc (the sedation at 4 months for follow-up MRI was HORRIBLE!!) - but if it helps some other little bubbas I'm all for it. Being a scientist how could I say no?!?
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 7:23am
Nikki - good on you for using your instincts and pushing for your daughter. She would have shown signs that something was wrong eventually.

Wendy I added you as a friend as well

Nikki - how cool that you scored ahead for his age that is great!! Oh and with relation to the no sedation at 6 for the MRI, my son had his done at 7 with sedation

susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 8:22am
If any of you have children with slight developmental delay and are in the auckland area and want tickets for the plays at greenlane that I get through our special needs group or the Special kids area at the Farmers xmas parade or the special kids xmas party please email me suemcgehan@ihug.co.nz or if you want our special needs newsletter
susie
Kumara77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumara77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 9:34pm

Edited by Bee_ - 26 July 2016 at 10:40am
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2011 at 10:35pm
Hey Bee, sorry to scare you with the brain damage talk .. I forgot you were here and how scarey it all is! I freaked at that part when they told me the night before his op. also freaked at the blood transfusion happening with surgery (something I wasn't keen on and hadn't considered would be needed) and also freaked that they gave my 3wk old bubba a dummy when I was anti! But I had no option but to deal with it all, as it was happening whether I liked it or not.

Thanks Limochick -- yeah I was stoked with Jakes results even though we kinda knew he was doing well it was nice to have someone else tell us. I'm assuming they will have to sedate them if they won't stay still?? Don't really want to go through that again unnecessarily but I know the research is for a good cause!!

Thanks Suzie! We got offered tickets for the Xmas party last year thru heart babies (couldn't make it though), but haven't heard anything this year. when is it?
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2011 at 7:10am
The special christmas parties are awesome, I haven't been to one since Thomas was 4. I'd love to go to the Hamilton one cos I don't think Tauranga has one.

Bee - you will surprise yourself with how strong you are for your little baby

Nikki - everything can be so scary in those early days can't it

Kumara77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumara77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 8:22am

Edited by Bee_ - 26 July 2016 at 10:40am
Limochick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Limochick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 11:38am
Merry christmas everyone, I hope all your kidlets are happy and healthy!!!

Beck I just tried to find you but it didn't come up you could try searching me and then I can add you I'm Alicia Gestro and it's a photo of me and my son. It is a very scary and daunting time but you will be in the best place. I wish you lots of luck

I forgot to update you all in here, it turns out my daughter has a heart murmur as well and my other sons ecg has come back abnormal so they both need to have echo's to check for a heart condition. Oh the joy of it all imagine if I ended up with 4 heart kids

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 December 2011 at 9:32pm
Merry Christmas everyone!!!

The only Becki Horgan I found has a girl with a baby in the pic (and a guy) - is that you? I'm Nikki Davy if you want to add me and I can add you to the group. Good luck for Jan hun!!
DS (5yrs) and DD (3yrs)
Kumara77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kumara77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2011 at 9:08am

Edited by Bee_ - 26 July 2016 at 10:41am
DaisyAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaisyAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 2:15pm

Hi everyone, sorry for some reason my notification of comments in this topic stopped working :( 

Merry Christmas everyone! 

Hi to the newbies :)

Can someone please add me to the group too?  :)  Angelina Newman

Wow the brain damage is new information for me.....I don't remember having that mentioned to us......or is that not a risk as he had his open heart surgery at 4 1/2 months?

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819>