FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAm I Pregnant? Help - confused!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
blessedwiththebest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Am I Pregnant? Help - confused!
    Posted: 23 February 2010 at 10:29pm
My partner & I had unprotected sex at least 3x in January when I was due to be ovulating. We aren't really TTC but just figure that when it's meant to happen then it will!

My cycle is always 28days & my LMP was 04.01.2010, so I would have been due for my next period on 01.02.2010. To date 23.02.2010 I still have not menstruated.

So far I have taken 3 HPTs - all NEGATIVE. First test @ 08.02.2010 (1week late for period), second test @ 15.02.2010 (2weeks late for period) & third test yesterday 22.02.2010 (3weeks late for period).

I had 1 blood test taken nearly a week ago now 17.03.2010. The results came back NEGATIVE - the Dr told me the hCG level was about 2. He advised though that if I still havent had my period within a week to come back for more bloods, as it may have been too early to tell.

Today I thought my period had arrived when I noticed some really light, watery, brown discharge when I wiped after going to the toilet. There's been no blood since then though & after some research it sounds like this MAY have been implantation bleeding??

I dont know what to think. I sort of feel pregnant. My nipples are a bit sore, my back is aching a wee bit & I feel nauseous. I've never been pregnant before though so I'm not really sure if what I'm feeling is right or not?

I've had nurses tell me that they know of cases where both HPTs & blood tests didnt show a positive result until 8-10weeks pregnant. I've also talked to a couple of mums who have experienced similar situations.

I have a slip for a blood test clipped up on the fridge but I'm not sure if I should get it taken now or wait a couple of days yet - to allow for hormones to increase (if I AM pregnant) - for more definite results?!

Am I going CRAZY? Is there anyone out there who can relate to what I'm talking about or has been through something like this in the past? My partner and I don't want to get excited over nothing. I just wish I knew whether I was or not.

Any help/support/comments would be appreciated right now. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 7:33am
Do the blood test. hcg levels are meant to double every 2 days so if it were about 2 last time if you were preggers it definitely would have risen by now.
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 8:36am
Hi jessrich

Welcome to OB! I agree with kebakat, definitely do the test as your HCG will have risen a lot in a week if you are pregnant.

All the best!!
Emma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 8:48am
Thanks kebakat & MrsEmma.

I think I'll go get the blood test done tomo or Friday. I really dont know what to think though after hearing so many stories about people being pregnant despite negative blood results.

I guess I'm also worried that I might be disappointed if the results come back negative again & if they are/I'm not pregnant, then where the bloody hell (mind the pun) is my period?!

Anyone out there still had a perfectly healthy pregnancy despite low hCG levels? Or even been told that you're NOT pregnant only to find out the Dr's were wrong?!
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 9:44am
my 2 cents- get the test done tomorrow so you get the results before the weekend. sorry im not more help
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 10:23am
Blood tests are conclusive as far as detecting a pregnancy goes. If you are pregnant you will have hcg in your system simple as that. hcg levels can vary from pregnancy to pregnancy, person to person but a blood test is conclusive, if its there it will be detected. I agree with __H__ get it done today or tomorrow, then you will have the results before the weekend.

Edited by kebakat
MrsEmma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsEmma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 10:34am
jessrich with my pregnancy I took some HPT's early on and they were negative, took another later on with a barely there positive so off to the GP. She did a HPT and it was negative but sent me for bloods (because I wanted to know for absolute sure) my HCG was low but it was there, my GP still didn't confirm if I was pregnant or not and didn't bother sending me for more tests. I had no idea how much HCG I was supposed to have etc. - I was so not impressed, she was a shocker looking back on it.

Anyway, I changed GP's and got more tests done not long after and I was pregnant

I know what you mean about not really wanting to know in case it's negative, it's so nerve racking but all you can do is try again and see what happens.

FX for you

Edited by MrsEmma

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 11:04am
Thanks __H__ I will definitely have my bloods taken tomo or Friday morning. Our blood lab is pretty efficient here so I usually get results within the same day.

Kebakat, I understand what you're saying re hCG. I was confused though - my Dr told me the results came back negative from my last blood test (17.02.2010) - but added "there was a very little amount of the hormone present, just not enough to confirm pregnancy." That's why I've been researching... perhaps my hCG level was low then because we tested too early?

MrsEmma I can completely relate! When I saw the nurse last week after 2x negative HPTs, she told me that "HPTs are pretty reliable" & that it was a "waste of money to keep ordering blood tests." I couldnt believe her atttitude. She asked me why I want to know so badly/told me that if I'm not considering a termination then it's really not that urgent to find out. That's when I demanded to see the GP & he had no problem giving me another slip to have more blood work done.

Thank you all for your comments. The wait is just the worst part! I think I will get my bloods done tomo morning.

Would still appreciate any other advice/support from anyone else out there :)
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 11:36am
Depending on the doc some will confirm a pregnancy with hcg above 2, some above 5. It depends what the lab gives them with the result too. Some just put <5 for example and that can mean 4.9 or 0.1 if you get what I mean which is why they don't wanna confirm it with a level so low.

If you go get more bloods done and get the same result and it hasn't risen then you probably have something screwy going on with your cycle this time.
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:04pm
A friend of mine had neg HPT's & BT so her Dr did an internal & found sh was pg, & then off for a scan & she was 4mth pg.

Ask for a scan to be done as it will pick up a heart beat after 7 weeks. Do your BT first.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 12:36pm
Kebakat, I've got my fingers crossed that my next bloods show a higher hCG level but will keep everyone posted. If they're negative again though then I'd really like to know if something else is maybe going on!

Thanks so much to Jazzy for your comment. I know that it's not common but I've heard other examples of what you're saying - where people have had negative HPTs & BTs but still never got a period - then gone for an ultrasound & found that theyre about 12weeks along! Just goes to show that Dr's arent always right.

Friends & family are telling me to trust my instincts but I really dont want to get my hopes up.

Will let everyone know when I go for my bloods.
MaeBeeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 3:44pm
JR it's not the level of the hcg number that is relevant, it's the doubling/tripling over a set time period (usually 48-72 hours in the early months) that is important.

I had really high levels in one of my pregnancies but they didn't double over 72 hours - and I lost that one. Yet in another pregnancy I had low levels and they pretty much quadrupled in 24 hours! Yet I lost that one too.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by jazzy jazzy wrote:

A friend of mine had neg HPT's & BT so her Dr did an internal & found sh was pg, & then off for a scan & she was 4mth pg..

Wow really? That's freaky! But surely that means she had no HcG in her bloodstream so how does that work?
Jelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 5:04pm
Wow you must be going crazy with not knowing!

I hope this next blood test gives you a good result. And if it's positive, well it'll definitely be a good story to tell the kid when it's older!
jazzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by LittleSal LittleSal wrote:

A friend of mine had neg HPT's & BT so her Dr did an internal & found sh was pg, & then off for a scan & she was 4mth pg..

Wow really? That's freaky! But surely that means she had no HcG in her bloodstream so how does that work?

I don't know, she felt pg, it was her second. She went to the dr several times & had a few BT's & did several HPT & all neg. Who knows why these things happen but they do.

Look at the ones who have AF & don't even know they are PG.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 7:16pm
I've been told that some normal pregnancies can have quite low levels of hCG & still deliver perfect babies.

Caution must be used in making too much of hCG "numbers". Ultrasound findings after 5-6 weeks of pregnancy are much more predictive of pregnancy outcome than hCG levels.

I've got more to add to my story now too.. late this afternoon when I went to the loo I noticed a some gooey stuff on the toilet paper & found a length of stretchy, clear discharge. It wasn't like the mucous that I get when ovulating, it was like a funny jelly! I keep checking in case there's any blood but so far nothing. Could this be a sign of pregnancy?

Edited by jessrich
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 7:42pm
I get that jelly stuff when I ovulate, and I've only had that for the last year maybe, I never use to get it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blessedwiththebest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 8:04pm
Can ovulation happen even if I missed a period?
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2010 at 8:09pm
Yes, you could just be having a long cycle and ovulating far later than you normally would.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2010 at 12:16pm

Look at the ones who have AF & don't even know they are PG.

Yeah, that's what happened to my mum when she was UTD with me! She didn't know she was pregnant until she was 3 months along and only checked because dad told her he thought she was looking fat
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>