FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedbaby shower for 1st time mum

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: baby shower for 1st time mum
    Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:12pm
i am going to one at the end of the month,
mum is 24 and first baby, hes a wee boy yet to be named.

for a present im thinking of giving her a wee box of stuff for both her and baby.

so far ive got a 26 pack of babylove nappies in 3-8kg
and was thinking of adding some wipes, baby shampoo, powder, bibs (or those sort of things), she has heaps of clothes already

but also wanted something for mum to feel remotely human again, shes already compaing of being over the whale thing now.
so i was thinking a voucher for a place where she could go get a wax/massage/facial/manicure etc.

does it sound like im on the right track??

oh and i wasnt sure what category to post this into
Sponsored Links

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:20pm
sounds great :-)
Best thing I got at my baby shower with Caitlyn , was some Body shop body butter and some PJs for after she was born .

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:20pm
sorry , that was meant to be PJs for me to where .
They were pink and had pigs on them .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 8:24pm
ooh body butter sounds good. and smells always smells it too.

ive got some maternity clothes here to give her, a feeding camisole and some belly bands and jeans. so will throw them in too.

i would feel weird buying someone elses PJ's but that probably just cos im fussy
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:19pm
Yeah things like body butter are great, maybe a yummy body wash. I get really dry hands when my boys were babies from constantly washing my hands, so a hand lotion might be nice
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:30pm
these are all good ideas. ive never had a baby so dont know the kinds things to give apart from the obvious things like baby things
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:30pm
I think getting something nice for mum that she can use in her own home would be lovely. As much as the voucher is a beautiful idea, I know of so many mums that have had to give their vouchers away or just not use it as with a new baby it becomes a real mission to get anything done. It still may work for her though, or she may be able to fit it in before the baby comes.

The other thing you may want to watch out for is giving lotions and powders for the baby. With my first I was given so many bath washes, soaps, powders etc that just never got used. I think I still have them sitting unopened in a drawer and still don't know what to do with them, neither of my girls ever used them.

Sorry I am really not much help tonight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 9:37pm
she is due on the 3rd may, so i think the idea of something she can do inside the house is probably a good one.

now to find something.
or would some nice body wash, moisturiser/body butter and a hand lotion kind of thing be fine.

the last baby shower i went to i ran so i was excluded from gifts as i hosted and did the foods
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2010 at 10:11pm

I loved the gifts I got when I hadmine. I also got given stuf for me after I had Josh too.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 9:39am
Apparently its not advisable for a new mum to start using new lotions/soap/ other smellies that they wouldnt normally use cos it confuses baby... each person has their own 'smell' and suddenly using a new scented product disguises that smell, and thats how babies recognise their mums in the very early days...

Cant remember where I read that but it stuck with me cos someone gave me a nice body lotion and I liked the smell, but it wasnt something I'd used before...

You could make a couple of babysitting vouchers if you were happy to babysit so the new mum can sleep or go out and do stuff that having a baby makes harder...

Does the mum-to-be know she is having a baby shower? You could try asking her what she has/hasnt got yet, or print off a list of essential baby items, and get her to cross off what she already has, that way you wont buy her something she already has kwim?
Brandon - 05/12/2003

bun_in_the_oven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bun_in_the_oven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 9:46am
i had a lady come into my home and give me a half hour massage when baby was 1 week old...

needless to say .... it was HEAVEN !!!

and no need to leave the house.. just an idea

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 10:02am
bK if she didnt know she does now as one friend facebooked her to say she couldnt come.

Ive already said anytime she wants a break im there, im so excited for this baby as we got told about him a week after we got told our baby was going to miscarry.
so i feel like i wasnt supposed to be a mummy yet, so i can spend more time with this wee guy.
Blankney94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blankney94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:35am

One of the best pressies I got given (for baby) was a temp gauge for baby's bedroom.  It can be really hard to 'guess' the temperature of a room - at least I had something to tell me.  There are different ones available - some of them expensive ('The Egg') and some are not expensive.

rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 11:47am
SarahMM thats a great idea!!

A couple of my favourite pressies were massage and pedicure vouchers. If you could get someone to come to her thats even better! Another idea is clothes shop vouchers? I dont know about anyone else, but its a pretty crappy feeling when your maternity clothes are too big, and your old clothes dont fit because your body shape has changed so much!! Buying a couple of new outfits after DD2 was born that actually looked nice made me feel great!!

DD Savannah 18.01.04
DS Austin 04.09.08
MyLilSquishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyLilSquishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2010 at 2:13pm
oooh maybe like a mani-pedi by someone who can come to her house? or the massage is a great idea. any kind of pampering where she doesnt have to leave the house would be a great idea coz then she can use it before or after bubs if she is too busy before hand...

i prolly wouldnt go for smelly bath stuff, too much risk of her skin being extra sensitive, and ditto about bubs being confused by mums new smell....

oh the room thermometer is a great idea!
 Post Reply Post Reply