FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMastitis, BF, FF...can I do both?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mastitis, BF, FF...can I do both?
    Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:21am

As some of you are aware, I'm now on my third bout of mastitis and TBH combined with a baby who's a pretty rubbish sleeper anyway, I am begginning to suffer a little

For the first time EVER I am slightly tempted to put Clodagh on FF during the night as she's still feeding at least twice a night...the first ones at 10pm/ midnight ish I can handle but after that I'm getting very very worn out and with this mastitis, very sore nipples  I know some of this will be my feeling down from the AB's I'm taking in mega doses still- and they're affecting Clodagh too- but I long for a night where I get moer than 2/3 hours sleep in a row!!!

Can I FF during the night without affecting my day supply? Can I FF her like this while I'm still so sore and then 'take her off it (FF)'?

Am I just being selfish and a big girls blouse and taking the easy way out by even considering FF??  I am a firm believer in BF where possible but also that it's personal choice of what fits best with you and your baby...of course!

Having said that, I have tried so so hard, had 3 bouts mastitis, worked with flat and inverted nipples and a baby who could suck a tennis ball through a hose and now feel like a total utter failure even considering supplementing with formula.  I don't know why cos I certainly don't think tihngs like that about other Mums who FF so why do I feel so guilty about it for me??

Any advice on this really appreciated, am at the end of my rope a bit!

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 8:58am
shes 9mths old so you've already fed her at least 6 months longer than the average.

have you looked into why you get mastitis so easily?   also if you put her on formula overnight will it really make you feel less tired? will it be you who has to get up and feed her anyway?

Only you can decide really and only you can make yourself feel guilty.

Mamma2N View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamma2N Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 9:01am
Emmecat, sounds like you've had a really rough time lately - you are totally not selfish for considering an alternative! I totally get your reluctance to try FF - I've been exactly the same.
My DD is 11.5mths and I've just started her on cows' milk. I went back to work about 3mths ago (parttime) and recently committed to more hours for the last 5 weeks (finish in a couple of weeks). I'm away from DD for up to 10hours and simply couldn't express enough. So now she has usually one cows' milk feed during the days I'm away and if I have to work nights and DH puts her to bed she gets it then too. When I am at home with her, I offer BF first before cows milk and most days we're together she only has BFs. My supply hasn't suffered, I think that has alot to do with demand feeding.

Anyway, after that ramble - if I were in your position I would totally be giving a FF a go. You've said yourself that you feel rundown.. you need to look after yourself too Mamma!! And remember you've done an awesome job for over 9mths so far.. and if you introduce a FF or two, it doesn't mean BFing has to come to an end.

Take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 9:09am

Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

shes 9mths old so you've already fed her at least 6 months longer than the average.

have you looked into why you get mastitis so easily?   also if you put her on formula overnight will it really make you feel less tired? will it be you who has to get up and feed her anyway?

Only you can decide really and only you can make yourself feel guilty.

apparently once you've had mastitis you're more prone to it.  I've been extremely stressed lately with problems at home so that probably hasn't helped. DF would happily get up and do a 4am feed, I've been trying to encourage her to drop that one anyway....but often what she does is wake every 2 hours overnight and *that* is draining me!

I'm also vegetarian but lately have had to give up eggs as Clodgah is allergic to them. That's no real drama, don't like them anyway lol and am supplementing but maybe its all just contributing.

I dunno why I feel so guilty. I just would feel likt an utter failure if I gave up BF and actually don't feel very good even considering supplementing. Guess it doesn't fit into the ideals I painted for myself!

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 9:12am
Mamma2N- thanks for that...I also tried expressing (which also wasn't great for my poor old nipples) and didn't get much. I just wondered if we could FF overnight until my mastitis has cleared and my bba are back to normal! Also it would mean Clodagh would be ingesting just a little less of the ABs herself...which have upset her poor wee tummy badly.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 10:44am
i dont think that doing it overnight would be a bad thing. you may find if you arent getting up to her she might sleep through too...

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 10:49am
So I am guessing that she doesn't necessarily wake in the night for a bf? Does she sleep well in your bed? I remember when Jack used to wake alot at night and I used to put him in our bed, he would still wake (maybe not quite as much) but I could just reach over and hug/pat/shhh etc, I found I didn't wake up as completely and it wasn't so draining. A possible idea?

Also if she is not waking cos she is hungry then a FF may not help her sleep though, it doesn't always work so you still might end up waking

Have you tried Bepanthen (sp??) for the sore nipples? Apparently that works really well.

Sorry I probably haven't been much help . I do know how you feel, a good night's sleep for me is 4hrs in a row! And it has been like that for nearly 3yrs, somehow my body just seems to have gotten used to it. I think you should work out what is best for you and your DD, whether that be FF or not, and don't feel guilty about it although that is often easier said than done.
If you decide to go down the FF path then have a look at the Good Morning website, about 6-8mths ago the Baby Whisperer did a segment on introducing a bottle, it may help if you haven't already done that.

Good luck!
Lindsey

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 11:29am

Limzy thanks for that tip about the website, I will certainly do that. She hasnt had a bottle since she was really little and I expressed a bit.

We do sometimes co sleep but as a family have worked very hard and very patiently to get her to sleep in her own cot in the nursery next to our room and its working...mainly. But yeah the seperation anziety thing is part of it and yet she soen't settle any better at all in our bed now!

We'veboth just had a nap so Ive woken up at least a little bit mroe refreshed and have decided to *try* FF at the midnight feed when she IS hungry. It might take her through a little longer and would give my bbs and nipples at least a little break! I'll talk to DF about what he thinks we should do when and if she wakes up from then.

I also haven't tried bepantham for my nipples but will! Thanks!

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 11:52am
The "No Cry Sleep Solution" has some great ideas about why babies could be waking at night so even if you don't follow the solutions suggested it could give you some insight into why she is waking.
Glad you got a nap in! Good luck
Lindsey

Mrs_B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrs_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2010 at 5:49pm
I know how much you don't want to FF Emmecat have you thought of the alternative... night weaning? At nearly 10mths old she doesn't NEED the milk overnight (in terms of nutrition I mean). I have done ALOT of reading on this and one author says to people that say "but he's obviously hungry because he feeds really well" ......."of course he does who wouldn't want a lovely cuddle and nice warm drink if offered!"

I decided last Friday I had had enough of getting 2-3x a night to feed Corban so went cold turkey - no more night feeds! When he woke he was offered a drink of water in his sippy cup and a cuddle. It hasn't been easy but we are getting there. The first night he woke he cried for 2hrs, Im in the very soft CC camp so he was never left more have 4-5mins before one of us went in.

Last night he sleep until 5am, DH got up gave him a quick cuddle and a drink of water and he went back to sleep until 7.30am!! Unheard of in this house!

I am amazed at the difference it has made to his food intake during the day. I have no doubt he was taking most of his calorie intake during the night.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2010 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Mrs_B Mrs_B wrote:

I know how much you don't want to FF Emmecat have you thought of the alternative... night weaning? At nearly 10mths old she doesn't NEED the milk overnight (in terms of nutrition I mean). I have done ALOT of reading on this and one author says to people that say "but he's obviously hungry because he feeds really well" ......."of course he does who wouldn't want a lovely cuddle and nice warm drink if offered!"

I decided last Friday I had had enough of getting 2-3x a night to feed Corban so went cold turkey - no more night feeds! When he woke he was offered a drink of water in his sippy cup and a cuddle. It hasn't been easy but we are getting there. The first night he woke he cried for 2hrs, Im in the very soft CC camp so he was never left more have 4-5mins before one of us went in.

Last night he sleep until 5am, DH got up gave him a quick cuddle and a drink of water and he went back to sleep until 7.30am!! Unheard of in this house!

I am amazed at the difference it has made to his food intake during the day. I have no doubt he was taking most of his calorie intake during the night.

That sounds like a really good approach :) and if I were in the same boat thats what I'd do.

I hope you can find something that works for you emmecat, it must be so exhausting for you :(

You can always try a FF for her bedtime feed and see if that helps as formula is more filling cos its thicker, but sometimes it doesnt make a difference

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2010 at 1:46pm
Well an update....I gave in and tried FF the other night but no way no how was she gonna take it! Just wanted bb....sigh. But then, she's been a sick wee girl this week so haven't even attempted to do anything sleep wise. But the last few nights have been utter shockers so something is gonna have to give! I've invested in an electric breast pump from TM so will start expressing in the mornings when my milk supply is at its peak and then at least DF can help. That leads to another ?? tho....should I be putting EBM in a bottle (which she really hasn;t had since a few months old) or a sippy cup?

CarrieMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CarrieMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 4:18pm
Emmecat I agree with MrsB that maybe you should give your boobs a rest by deciding to not feed her overnight at all. A 10 month old should be eating a lot of solids & just having 3 feeds a day after solids as first priority. This may be your opportunity to really try & sort out her sleeping issues.
Robyn Barker's book Baby Love says babies can start cows milk at 9 months & that the 12 month rule was probably started by formula companies! Maybe some cows milk in a sippy cup would work for overnight until she gets past the habit of needing milk at night?

Post Reply Post Reply