FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCan you safely express while BF and pg?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can you safely express while BF and pg?
    Posted: 14 March 2010 at 8:39pm

no, I'm not pg (that I know of) but have just bought an electric breast pump as find them easier than my manual one now. I don't plan to express often....probably a couple of times a week just to have a bit of a collection so DF and I can go out for the night or he can do the odd bottle etc.

My question is though, if I become pg, can I safely express, BF *and *  not risk m/c or anything?  Just I heard that nipple stimulation can cause uterine contractions etc and while I realise BF is also suction, I  just wondered if expressing would be more risky or something? I dunno sounds kind of dumb when I write it out but didn't think before I bought and cos we are TTC# 2 and I'd like to continue BF, I just suddenly wondered hmmmm.....

Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 9:57pm
Well, people continue to bf while ttc and feed through pregnancies and even tandem feed, so I would say no!!!!
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2010 at 10:48pm
^she means no it's not risky, not no you can't safely express

Yes nipple stimulation can cause uterine contractions, but so do orgasms. Some (very very few) people with particular medical histories are advised to avoid sex during pregnancy for that reason, so if you're in that category then I suppose it'd be something to ask the doctor about (although I imagine uterine contractions from orgasm are more powerful than from expressing?), but if you still plan to have sex during pregnancy then I would say it's not an issue

As always there's a kellymom page on the topic

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2010 at 6:29pm
You need an awful lot of nipple stimulation hun..... I remember my CBE saying it needed to be hours of straight stimulation to bring on labour!

I have been expressing (only if I am out and miss a feed) and so far so good!

LOL Weegee... I check their now before I post

Post Reply Post Reply