FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Mummy pads"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Mummy pads"
    Posted: 18 March 2010 at 7:18pm
This may be TMI for some-

Im looking to use cloth pads (dont actually know what they are called but I have heard them call mummy pads!) Im mainly want to use them as back up for tampons and for when AF is light but i have some questions

Where is the best place to buy them from?
Do they come in different thicknesses?
Whats the best way to wash them? can you soak them in napisan?

oh and any other tips or things i should know
Sponsored Links

Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 6:03am
Hiya, I know this site does them, I haven't used them myself tho, but I have heard they are good

http://www.ecomoon.co.nz/index.php

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2010 at 7:49am
The nappy boutique do them too .. I got some in a prize pack, I got the "heavy" and the "light" .. they seem fine, Ive used them a couple of times when Ive been caught short .. and I just throw them in the wash, no special treatment.
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 8:14pm

I just make my own  there's HEAPS of free patterns on the internet otherwise Greenbeans sell a DIY Mamapad kit for $11 or so. You don't need a sewing machine although it def helps. I made my first ones by tracing a disposable pad onto a bit of paper then buying some flannel and sewing it together then sewing on domes for the wings. That got too fiddly so I quite the domes then for my next bunch I got real lazy and just folded an old soft flannel into thirds lol  Material against material doesn't realy move and it suited me fine. Now I've branched out and started making circle pads but haven't got to try them yet!

But I LURVE MamaPads. They're so comfy and about a million times cheaper and better for the environment than those nasty disposables

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 8:15pm
Oh yeah and just throw them in the wash with everything else. If they're really stained then pop them into a bucket of cold water, that's all you need.

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 9:45pm
I especially love the Ecomoon ones that snap in to the underwear so they don't move around, really comfy underwear too They are pretty easy to make though.

Just to be extra hippie, if you're considering mama cloth, you might consider a menstrual cup too...?

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
_H_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _H_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2010 at 9:49pm
Weegee i have looked into the menstrual cup but its just a bit much for me
julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 8:23pm

i was just reading with interest , i didnt even know you could buy re-usable pads  altho makes sense , would be sooooo much cheaper!!! and whats a menstural cup ? lol or should i not even ask ? hahaha

julz85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote julz85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 8:25pm

oh dont worry about the menstural cup question , i just googeld it lol . wow so much i did not know about lol

Edited by julz
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 8:23pm

Julz- they look a bit gross but they save truckloads of money and are so easy to use!  Next try googling 'sea sponge' lol...... 

Cloth pads rule!!!!!!

kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 12:24am
Has anyone tried using cloth pads for after bubs? (ie lochia)

Only issue I have is that someone else does my washing .... and not sure how she'd feel about this being added to the washing pile
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 8:08am
You can buy cloth pads esp for post partum (www.gladrags.com I think does them)...or just make them yourself with a flannel folded in 3...that's pretty thick. If it worried you about someone else doing the washing, I guess you could soak them in cold water first and rinse them yourself before the other person did the washing? Makes it a bit less, erm, obvious IYKWIM lol

rachelsea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 5:53pm
Hehe just saw this thread. I made my own from leftover nappy fabric, with wings that tuck around under the undies and snap together. What a great idea having pads snapping straight to the undies, am going to add snaps to my old granny knickers and make some snap-in ones

And for washing, I keep an icecream container in the bathroom cupboard, and when it's "that time of the month" I fill up the icecream container with cold water, and put each pad in there to soak till washing time then tip out the water (have heard of using that "used water" to water plants with, but I don't have plants so it just goes down the tub), then wash them. No stains.

Sorry for the novel
DD 4yrs
DS 2yrs

Post Reply Post Reply