FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo noone wants to mention?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So noone wants to mention?
    Posted: 24 March 2010 at 8:29pm
Or maybe I just haven't found anything on it.. the changes to benefits, incl DPB?

Surely it affects quite a few ladies on here, so it would be nice to be able to discuss it as adults

I think the DPB's great and definitely has it's place. I do however find it rude that some people they have interviewed, and my god, some people on the TMMB have gone on and on about how unfair it is for parents on the DPB to have to find 15 hours work when their child is 6. IMO being able to stay home until a child is 6 is a luxury that many two parent families can't afford, so why should the government pay for it?

I personally think Paula Bennett's great (and this is coming from a Labour supporter). I've always liked her since she started appearing on Breakfast with that red-headed Labour dude.

One thing though - has anyone noticed how the media are finding the most pathetic excuses of beneficiaries to highlight this case? Where is SOME form of objectivity on this issue?

Thoughts please, am interested to hear people's thoughts on the issue as I find politics, especially social issues, fascinating.
Sponsored Links

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 8:54pm
Hi Emz!
I'm on the fence. I'd like to entirely agree agree with you on the luxury for staying at home thing, but then I've just been doing this parenting course, and I can't help but wonder if some of the single mums are better at home, if they genuinely use that time to manage the household and prepare fun activities etc for the kids, rather than stress and freak out at work, when there is no other parent to carry the burden and the kids wear it all, effecting their own stability, emotional health and wellbeing etc, making it easier to create well balanced kids.

Of course it would be better for the mums self esteem to be finacially independant....it's a tricky one.

What really got MY goat, is the way they keep talking about the single mums....there are single dads on the DPB too!!!!

edited to add: WIth that last comment, it's not just the fact they mention the single mums and not the dads, its how much they place on the sterotypical dbp people, and how demeaning the releases of such policies in the media can be. Not the policies themselves as such, just the way they introduce them.

Does that make sense? Probably not

Edited by Flake
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:01pm
Yep definitely, did you watch that guy with the 2 disabled kids on TV the other night? Raised them by himself for 30 odd years. Champion.

I guess I come from the side where it's not financially feasible for me to work part time in order for us to be financially stable so I work on average 35-40 hours atm - just one of those things that has to be done.

Coming from an education perspective, it's proven that someone who puts effort into contributing to society in ways like working have a higher cultural capital and therefore pass those work ethics onto their kids, thus breaking some of the 'cycles' we get in some families IYKWIM.

Like I said though, it definitely has its place. I have 2 friends atm whose partners walked out on them early in their pregnancies so they'd be screwed if they didn't have the DPB, but they also believe in getting back into the work force in the near future (1-2 years) as it's not everyone's elses problem they are parents (that probably sounds harsh, but hopefully someone knows what they mean).

My cousins, when living on the coast, had friends that had kids as a career choice. I do wonder how many people out there will just keep having kids every 6 years to stay on it? There's not much to do about it, but it does open up a can of worms as to whether this is going to be a step forward or back.
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:06pm
Dead right there. I know someone whos hobbies are listed as watching telly and then kids on fb. No other work, hobbies, or interests. I know them well enough to know they aren't working either, but I'm sure she's not going to stop at 6 kids.

As you said though, then you get the people who would be so lost without the help. I guess the genuine cases won't need this bill, they'd be doing it anyway.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2010 at 9:57pm

Ooh I'm kind of on the fence I do think that someone on the DPB is capable of working 15hours when their child turns 6. I saw one woman say that being a young mum means they have no work experience etc but you know what whats wrong with them volunteering for even 2hrs a week to get theskill base up and abit of experience. There are government agencies/businesses and not for profit organisations that would love someone to go in and do filing for an hour a week. Who knows it may turn into a job opportunity down the track IYGWIM. Mum volunteered for parents centre for 6years or more to keep her skill base up and help get her back in the work force when we were kids.

They said the non skill specific roles were in hospitality and retail which are night time and weekend hours. Well I for one know that you have to have some sort of skills for both industries having been in both. Also you can find roles in both industries that are after people to do day shifts, cafes for one.

thats just my 2 cents worth

rorylex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rorylex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 8:50pm
i think its a good idea i mean 15hrs is only 3hrs a day while they are at school and only half the school day.
im not on dpb and never have been. i do know what they mean about the skills part, i had my oldest when i was 17 only skills i have is to work with horses, but thats not the kind of work i want to be doing now that i have kids, id be happy with a job at the warehouse checkouts if it means a job once my kids are at school. i want to do midwifery but also something ill have to wait til they are all in school b4 i can do.
also skills can be gained b4 they go to school, i am going to be doing my ncea etc through corospondence(sp) once my older 2 are both in school right now with a 9wk old and 3 preschoolers i bearly have time to eat.
Mummy to 4 boys
Samuel - 18.6.05
Rory - 15.7.06
Mason - 13.06.08
Emmett - 24.01.10
Baby #5 - cooking
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 1:13pm
I think it's a good idea in theory but the thing that worries me is the cuts to the benefit if beneficiaries don't conform. Fine if the beneficiaries see that as enough of a threat to do something but we're talking about people with dependents here and I think it could have ramifications for the children.

I hate to think of a child going without because mum has different priorities than the government assumes she has.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 1:20pm
Well I'm in agreement with it. I don't think it is that much to ask someone to be looking for/be in employment for 15 hours or to be studying for 15 hours, which was the other option instead of working.

I really think they have nothing to complain about and most women who are married or in a relationship can't stay home even before their kids are 6 so why should single parents get to stay at home for 18 years whilst other mums pay tax for them to do so.

As for taking the money off them if they are that irresponsible then perhaps cyfs should get involved anyway.

I have no issue with them coming down hard on the other beneficiaries either, the free ride is over and about time. It's not like NZ is the first place to implement these types of conditions, in the UK you have compulsory training programmes and also have to prove you are actively seeking work, you are also put on a different benefit when first on the dole which I believes pays more money than those on the dole long term so as not to punish those people who lose a job through no fault of their own and are then trying to find another one.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 2:08pm

Where exactly are people on the DPB expected to get these 15 hour a week jobs, its hard enough to find work for those that want it.

I find it a bit rich that MPs are able to get off with spending tax payer money their not entitled too and get to keep their jobs and perks, where as beneficiaries are going to get their money cut if they don't comply.

Don't know about you but I'd rather my tax payer dollars went to solo-parents than MPs!

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 2:12pm

I don't see why solo parent's can't be expected to start looking for work once their youngest is 3, the whole point of 20 hours free early child care is to encourage parents back to work.

I do get the impression though that most people on the benefit don't actually want to be there and would rather be working.
I think those abusing the system are very much in the minority.

Jobs are pretty scarce at the moment, not entirely sure where Paula Bennett expects these 15 hour a week jobs to come from.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 2:20pm
Yes but they don't need to be working, they need to be looking for work or studying. There's no excuse for not doing either of those two things when all your children are at school (which they start at 5 incidentally so they get another year free to slob around doing nothing all day with). If they truly wanted to get off the dpb they would already be doing it without a kick up the bum.

15 hours is nothing, if they had said 40 I would be thinking it was wrong, but it's 15. It's not unreasonable, it's not going to be detrimental to anybody's children if their parent goes to work/college whilst they are at school, quite the opposite actually.

I'm all for helping them when the kids are little and at home full time but once they are at school there really is no excuse for not at least attempting to get a job or an education.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 2:39pm

Given that the tertiary sector is tightening up on enrollments, and courses this isn't an option for everyone.  This also leaves beneficiaries of the added debt of a student loan.  There is never any guarantees that there will be jobs when people graduate.

In fact atm graduates are the ones suffering most from the recession and lack of available jobs, solo parents can't up and move their entire family to Oz in pursuit of employment in the same way a single person can.

No one has yet explained where they're supposed to get these 15 hour a week jobs from? 
Or how exactly they're going to police the 'looking' for work.

Edited by caliandjack

[/url]

Angel June 2012
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 3:15pm
There are plenty of jobs around, just maybe not desirable to some. Our local papers are constantly looking for cleaners etc.

As for training, I haven't seen too much of a tightening of enrolments down here at all. Sure it's not as loose as it was, but honestly if those people that can't get in through their own merits don't go, it's probably a good thing as they wouldn't achieve anyway.

Looking for work: pretty sure they've said they have to prove they've been to interviews and they will ring employers etc. Or maybe I read that somewhere else, but would be a good thing.

People need to stop making excuses - contribute to society or don't get anything back
Cassie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 3:36pm
As it is, people on benefits (not so much the dpb, but I know from awhile back when I was on a regular benefit) sign contracts that they will actively search for work - yet they never seemed to spend a lot of time checking up on that. If they don't police it currently, I can't imagine them policing those on the dpb any more effectively, it's a lot of work to constantly be checking up, and easy enough for most people to fob it off with excuses. I'm not sure those working at WINZ get paid enough to do the job effectively!

I'm all for people bettering themselves, and think encouraging people to work/train for work when their children are 6 is a good idea, though most of the single mothers I know who actually want to work DO work, even when its way more stressful and doesn't net them a whole lot more $$ in the pocket than staying at home would. As a parent in general, even not a solo parent, it can be very hard to get a job tho - I worked my ass off trying to find somewhere, anywhere that would employ me when I finished studying full time but no-one would take me, mostly because I had a small child and hadn't had any recent experience (ie: studying for the last three years/raising a child equated to 'doing nothing' in most employers eyes). I couldn't even get a job in a supermarket or fast food place. Finding work can be really tough, but as long as those who are actually trying don't get penalized, and those who aren't get some encouragement and motivation then it's all good.

As someone said before, it would suck if young children were being put into even worse circumstances due to their parents choices or lack of motivation.
~Cassie~

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 4:40pm
Even people hiring cleaners want someone with previous experience. I spent the best part of last year looking for work and I don't have a family to look after, I ended up working away from home for 5 months, I wouldn't have been able to do that if I was on my own.

I think the whole thing comes across as government putting in legislation and rules around benefits, and leaving those on the front lines at WINZ with a whole lot more compliance and paperwork.
Is the government going to let kids go hungry cause mum hasn't been out looking for a job and they're cut her benefit.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Aquarius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2010 at 9:20pm
i think benefits definetly have a place in our society...but i have always thought that they should be payed differently.
all essentials ONLY are payed for.
rent, food stamps, power bills and the few other essentials are covered..thus making sure the money is spent on what it should be

yeah sure, many would complain..but the reality is, the essentials are covered and if they are in need of 'extra' spending money they can then do part time work to earn their own money for crap like...smokes, alcohol...etc.
at least the rent is paid, the power is on and kids have food in the cupboards.

what do you guys think?

mum to mr 16 & mr 10
Kellyfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 12:17pm
You make a good point Aquarius... in so many cases women sit at home on the DPB, spending the money that is meant to be for their kids on things like alcohol and smokes - which don't promote healthy children or families.
Women should definitely have choices regarding work/family balance, and should not feel like they have to jump straight back into work after they have popped out their kids. And it is harder for a single mother to find this balance, for sure... but it is not impossible!
15 hours work a week is not a big ask for mothers whos children are in school, and as it has been said, this 15 hours can be spent in further training or studying to make it easier to get a job. I understand that for people who maybe had their children very young and missed out on education opportunities might find this difficult, but as I said, it's not impossible.
I am all for a welfare state... I am a firm labour supporter and I think labour governments in the past have achieved a lot regarding choices for families of all shapes and sizes. People who are genuinely in need of a hand up should be able to rely on the state to get it. In saying that, there are a lot of people who take advantage of this system and use it as a crutch rather than as an opportunity to better themselves and their family. And that's just it... it should be a hand up, not a hand out.
Rant over... lol.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 1:34pm
I'm not sure where all these jobs are going to come from .. even cleaning jobs are done outside of normal work hours (as I can imagine people wanting people vacuuming around them while they are trying to work) so then who is going to look after the children while these people are cleaning at night?

Also funding for education has decreased dramatically so I doubt these people are going to get into studying either and I dont know any courses that are only 15 hours a week.

I think in theory its a good idea .. I just dont see it working "in the real world"
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 2:46pm
Sometimes I think its good othertimes I think its bad. Someone I know of on the DPB sits around on her fat ass and does nothing all day and has said herself she has no intention of finding a job cause shes too lazy. Its those kinda people I hate thinking about being paid by the rest of us to be lazy sh*ts.

I don't think the jobs are out there, but if its just made to try, how are they gonna prove they are trying to find work? Is applying for one job a month enough of an "effort".. to me thats pretty pitiful effort.. or do they have to apply for loads of jobs in a month. There just seems to be so many grey areas in there.

The studying thing. If you can prove to an education provider that you can do the work even if you have been out of practice they may still take a person on, even if it means they have to do a couple of papers first to prove it before starting a course full time. There are plenty of part time study options out there.. to do a degree part time is only 20hrs a week. If your kids are in school you have the time to do that easily.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 4:31pm
How are people going to pay for study if they're on a benefit? I can see the government tightening up further on who can get student loans, its hard enough managing that debt when your able bodied and willing to work.

I would like the focus to be put on the long term unemployed and possibly sickness beneficiaries, before those on the DPB are targeted.
In the end solo parents are doing a job they're raising their kids. Many without any government assistance either.

IMO I think those milking the system are the exception, most people I know on the benefit don't want to be there, but they'd be worse of financially if they took on part-time work, there doesn't seem a lot of incentive for them to be looking for work.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>