FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux and a 15 month old?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux and a 15 month old?
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:32pm
My nearly 16 month old was diagnosed with reflux at 3 months and was on losec till she was 13 months old. We went through a rough patch of about 5 days when I weaned her off losec but apart from that she's been really good. I can still see the milk coming back up her throat and hear her swallowing it back down sometimes but it doesn't seem to be causing her any pain. But....she has developed into a really terrible sleeper during the day. The last 3-4 weeks or so have been a disaster in terms of day sleeps - she's gone from 2 sleeps of an hour to an hour and a half, down to one sleep of between 10 and 50 minutes. She is so tired her eyes are practically hanging out of her head. And she now seems windy a lot of the time, burping mainly but also a reasonable amount of farting too. I am wondering if the reflux is still bothering her and I talked to the doctor but she said that it doesn't sound like DD is in any pain so it probably wouldn't be the reflux causing the day sleep issues. She said I could put her back on losec if I thought it would help but only gave me a 2 month supply. I don't want to put DD back on losec only to have to wean her back off again but....I am a bit concerned that maybe the fluid coming back up is disturbing her. She still occasionally spills and on Saturday she lost all her breakfast and her bottle on a car trip (she doesn't normally get car sick). I guess I am just after opinions on whether babies who have had reflux can get worse again after being better for ages.
Sponsored Links

Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:42pm
Forgot to mention too that I am thickening DD's formula still - we are down to one scoop of food thickener in each 150ml bottle (she has two bottles a day, one after breakfast and one before bed).
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 10:46pm
Cooper a silent refluxer, if you can see milk coming up & hear it I'd put her back on it. We missed 2 doses & I had a miserable little boy for a good week afterwards.

We couldn't see that he was in any pain, I guess the dummy helped a lot.

With us the night sleeps go & he's sleeps most of the day. So she's probably sleeping at night cause she's so exhausted.

What dose have you got for her? I was put on 10mcg & was told if that didn't help I could give him 20mcg. We've stayed on the 10 mcg dose so maybe if she's on a 20 you could give her a half dose to start with? I dunno though, you'd probably need to talk through with your dr about that.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Shelt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2010 at 11:56am
She was always a spilly refluxer Kel so I guess thats why I am reluctant to think its the reflux again. She was on a 10mcg dose Kel but I weaned her off it about 3 months ago at the begining of January. She seemed ok, her sleeps were normal after about 5 days and had been up until about the begining of March when she went from 2 day sleeps to one of half an hour or none at all. She goes to sleep at night almost immediately (prob coz she is exhausted) but then wakes after an hour or so and screams the house down. This could be coz she has a cold and is teething though....she does tend to go through stages of waking in the evening and screaming
 Post Reply Post Reply