FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWipes??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wipes??
    Posted: 09 April 2010 at 10:00am
Ok so I was talking with my Mum about starting to look into buying some cloth wipes (we will be doing cloth nappies) and she was suprised I was thinking about buying some. Apparently for us kids she just used flanelette face cloths (she had seperate ones instead of actual facecloths)

She has a HUGE shopping bag of face cloths, all just need a wash but are still in really good condition and soft and nice still, would there be ANY point in buying cloth wipes when I can use these?

I can't imagine they'd be any different to actual cloth wipes? Are they?
Sponsored Links

Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 10:24am
Anything that you can use to 'wipe' with can be a wipe! It doesn't need to be a manufactured baby wipe with a label on it. So, yep, you'll be fine with the flannels.
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 11:06am
The only slight problem I had with using flannels as wipes was that the poo sometimes got caught up in the fluffy bits so I needed to give them a scrub before washing them.
It really wasn't that much trouble though as I was scrubbing nappies anyway.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 11:13am
Awesome! Sounds like I just saved me some money then. Good on Mum for holding onto that sorta stuff for all these years huh?!

Scrubbing shouldn't be a problem, I'd imagine I'll be needing to do that with nappies at times anyways! And now I have HEAPS of wipes ready to go!!! So hopefully will only very rarely need disposibles (I'll keep them in the nappy bag for if we are out but theres no tap around to wet the wipe!)

Woo! Slowly getting stuff sorted!
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 9:39pm
Flannels make awesome wipes especially for newborn poos . And the old soft ones are the best
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 10:27pm
to your Mum.

It never crossed my mind to either scrub my nappies or wipes, just do a prerinse/wash.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Ladybird84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 11:17am
I just keep some wet flannels in a zip lock bag inside my wee boys nappy bag. That way when we go out I dont have to find a tap or anthing to wet them with.
Also at home I store the wipes inside a plastic container so I dont have to wet them each time.
I just put a pile of dry cloths into the container and wet them with the tap... wipes ready to go all the time!!
manda27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manda27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 2:05pm
I find the huggies plastic wipes box awesome to keep wipes in, i put a few in and some water to dampen them and keep it near where i change him- coz u got thru them so quick they dont smell or anything yucky and it makes them just as easy as normal wipes
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 8:31pm
I just use muslin cloths they're cheap and easy to use and wash.

Great idea about a little bit of water in the huggies box Manda, currently I have to run to the bathroom each time to wet the cloths. Never thought to have them actually in water already....
manda27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manda27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 8:19am
yea i just fill it up with cloths daily- u figure out approx how many u go thru pretty quick!
ittibittinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ittibittinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 2:20pm
Flannels would stain a lot more as well, whereas velour wipes don't tend to stain as much as they don't have the raised fabric for all the bits to get trapped in.
ittibittinz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ittibittinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 2:22pm
just testing to see if siggy shows this time
Karyn - business mummy working at home, running cloth nappy business. Have 2 boys 7 and 4.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2010 at 10:07pm
With the huge bag of flannels I have, don't think I'll have to worry about that yet! Can easily throw them out...
HoneybunsMa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoneybunsMa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 1:39pm

We use flannels, some of the wipes that we bought are just terry cloth that has been overlocked round the outside they came as part of a package with our nappies before that thought we had some coloured flannels that we used and the white were for baby's bathtime.

I wouldn't worry about bits getting caught in them, rinse them under the laundry tap and your fine. We stopped using wipes at home at about 3months partly to save money but mostly because DD had really bad nappy wash and even the sensitive wipes have chemicals in them.

In babes fantastic tip thread there is a wipe "solution" using chammomile tea and one of the ideas is to put it in a spray bottle and then you spray baby's bot. Me personally don't find wetting the flannel that much of an issue as we only use them maybe twice a day.

HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2010 at 1:57pm
We just use face cloths (got SO many as gifts ) and use hte coloured ones for bums and white ones for faces. We do use normal wipes when we are out and about though.

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2010 at 2:03pm

We only use baby flannels for our wipes and use a lovely concoction to soak them in

We use an old Tushies box and add boiling water to a chamomile tea bag, a squirt of oil (baby oil, almond oil, calendula...whatever- even olive oil is fine-, a ocuple of drops of teatree or lavendar and then soak the folded flannels in there. We make a new batch every few days. Lovely!  (you can add a drop or two of liquid soap if you want but we don't bother).

amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 7:46pm
how many cloth wipes do you need?
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2010 at 10:27pm

I just cut up a heap of microfleece and use that. I like to rinse them under a warm tap at each nappy change so its nice on his bottom.

Like someone else said when we go out I wet a few and put them in a glad ziplock bag so I've always got some ready to go, easy peasy.

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 7:54am
Amme, I have about 20, and that was heaps until I had to start sending them to daycare too. So now I've made another 10.
Sparkle7 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparkle7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 12:32pm
Has anyone tried using chux cloths? I have a whole heap and was going to cut them up into smaller squares. At the moment I'm on disposable wipes but I want to change...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>