FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSoup!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hunnybunny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hunnybunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soup!
    Posted: 09 April 2010 at 6:09pm
Ok, I need some inspiration, I wanna start making some soups to freeze.. But, what kind?!

DH and I don't like pumpkin, but for the sake of others, you could post a recipe

So far I have ideas for:
Potato and leek
Kumara? Can you make Kumara soup?
Vege
Chicken
Carrot and...??
Pea and ham..

But I need recipes! And I need inspiration for other TYPES of soup, I don't wanna be making the same ones over again!
I want a few different types that we can freeze, so can each have a different flavour at night times if we feel like something!

Also, crock pot recipes are good? We have a crock pot, I also have a soup pot though so quantities aren't really a worry...
Sponsored Links

Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 7:44pm
Oh yay, a post I'll be following with interest.

I make a vege soup out of the Kings soup mix and a bacon hock. I normally hack the meat off the bacon hock as I sometimes find it goes a bit fatty or salty if I just put the whole lot in.

Then I add a couple or three potatoes grated and finely chopped, the same with carrots, onion, celery if I can be bothered and some salt and pepper.

Can be done in crock pot or on the stove top, I usually simmer it really low for three or four hours... and it's always nicer the next day or after being frozen.
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 7:50pm
I make vege soup all the time, infact I made a huge pot full this week as I am so sick of eating salad!   I just ate a huge bowl for dinner!

I boil up some chicken or bacon with bones included to make a broth. Then I pull out the meat and de-bone it. I then chuck in all the veges and boil them in the broth then add the meat back in when its cooked. I use all types of veges and I make it really thick and leave it lumpy.   I also chuck in whatever I have in the cupboard, stock flavouring, salt, pepper, soy sauce, worceshire sauce, tomato sauce, vegemite, marmite!

Every time it tastes so different and is always so so scrummy!!! Yum, yum yum,!!

Edited by peachy
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 9:25pm
My Mum sent me this recipe for kumara and lentil soup.
It is absolutely amazing, so hearty and flavoursome.

Chunky kumara, lentil and ginger soup.

The chilli is not essential but will add a lovely contrast to the sweet creaminess of the soup. Serve with plenty of crusty bread.

½ cup green lentils, washed, then boiled for 5 minutes in water, drained and set aside
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 red onions, chopped
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 large golden kumara, peeled and diced in 1cm chunks
1.5 litres vegetable or chicken stock
1 teaspoon flaky sea salt and ground black pepper 150ml cream
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon manuka honey
½ cup thick Greek yoghurt
zest and juice of 2 limes
Optional: 1 small chilli, deseeded and
   finely chopped
Garnish: flat-leafed parsley
Gently heat oil in a deep saucepan. Add onions and ginger and sweat over a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid browning too much. Add the partly cooked lentils, diced kumara and stock and simmer for 20 minutes or until the kumara is very tender and able to be mashed with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

With a stick blender, purée a quarter of the mixture in a separate bowl then return to the rest of the soup.

To serve, reheat the soup; add cream, soy sauce and honey. Check seasoning. Mix the yoghurt, lime zest and juice and chilli together and dollop on top of the soup. Garnish with parsley leaves and serve immediately.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 9:39pm
This is a really yummy comfort-food soup too, I never get tired of eating it!

2 cups milk
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cubes chicken stock
1 1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups grated cheese
2 cups cooked finely chopped broccoli

Directions:

Cook onions in butter until tender. Blend in flour and seasonings and cook 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly.

Add boiling water and stock cubes and cook slowly until thick, stir in milk until smooth. Add the cheese and broccoli and heat through. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

WestiesGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestiesGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 12:00am
Im a bit the same as Peachy too, chuck in what ever
I dont really follow a recipe as such but this is generally what goes in my regular batches (Vege Soup)

Chicken Stock (if I am feeling too lazy to do it off a carcase or bone and to make a broth)
Potato
Pumpkin
Kumara
Carrots
Celery
Silverbeat
Onion
Garlic
Tiny pasta shells (to bulk it up)
Oats (to thicken it)
Barley (pre cooked, washed and drained)
Red Lentils (pre cooked, washed and drained)
Split Peas (not all the time if I forget to soak them)
Salt and Pepper

Cut all veges to desired size and shape
Put all veges and stock into a BIG pot
Add water to cover veges plus a tad more to allow for absorption
Bring to the boil then simmer for approx 1 hour

Serve with Garlic bread and eat - Yummmo
Our Angel July 08 Gone but not forgotten

And to complete our family, our princess has arrived
Bexee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bexee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 3:30pm
www.deliaonline.com has some nice looking ones.

I know you don't like pumpkin, but I'm just making this one:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/12808/butternut-squash-soup-with-chilli-and-crme-frache?pager.offset=20
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2010 at 4:52pm
I make vege soup using kings soup mix too - add in what ever vege I have on hand a couple of spoon fuls of soup mix and 2 litres of stock - yummo instant soup for the two of us.

This is my pumpkin recipe

chop leeks, onions, garlic and ginger add to pot with 50gm of butter, cook until onions are soft.
Add 600gm peeled, seeded and chopped pumpkin - cook until almost tender - add 1tsp tumeric and 2 litres vege stock (I buy the campbells one) simmer until pumpkin is cooked. - Add salt and pepper to taste.
Either puree till smooth or I use a potato masher and serve it chunky - with grated strong cheddar or parmesan on top to serve.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:57am
HB this is my soup i make in my slow cooker

Bacon & Vege Soup

Ingredients:
1 bacon hock
1 packet Kings Hearty Vege soup mix (but you could probably use any)
about 9-10 cups hot water
Veges! - i usually use potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, swede, leeks, capsicum, onion or spring onions etc (pretty much anything you want and as much as you want to fill up the cooker!).

Method:
Place bacon hock into bottom of slow cooker. Add soup mix and 9-10 cups hot water (adjust to size of cooker). Stir. Cut up veges (either by hand or food processor) into little pieces (or bigger if you like chunky soup) and place in cooker. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or until the meat falls off the bone (or on high for about 3-4 hours i think). Take the meat out and cut up into pieces and return to the cooker to heat through again. Season with salt & pepper if needed. Eat & enjoy!

I find there is enough lentils etc in the soup mix although you could easily add more if you wanted. This recipe makes a lot of soup - enough for 2 dinners and lunches during the week :) and is so delicious!

am going to try this one with some left over corned beef instead of the bacon hock. and i saved some of the stock that i cooked a corned beef in a couple of weeks ago so will take that out of the freezer and use that instead of some of the water. should be yum!
theres a recipe i just found online for a corned beef and cabbage soup that i will post too.

Edited by heaf3
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 9:58am
Corned Beef & Cabbage Soup

Use leftover cooked corned beef or deli corned beef in this flavorful soup. Serve this soup with a salad and hot buttered biscuits for a delicious meal.

Ingredients:
•2 tablespoons butter
•1 1/2 cups chopped onion
•1 cup sliced celery
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•2 quarts chicken broth
•1 1/2 cups chopped or julienne-cut carrots
•1/2 small head cabbage, coarsely chopped, about 4 to 5 cups
•1/4 cup pearled barley
•1 small bay leaf
•1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
•1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
•1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
•2 to 2 1/2 cups diced cooked corned beef, about 10 to 12 ounces
•1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced, undrained
•salt, to taste

Preparation:
Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery; sauté, stirring frequently, until tender. Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, carrots, cabbage, and barley. Add the bay leaf, parsley, thyme, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in corned beef and tomatoes; increase heat and return to the boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Taste and add salt.

Serves 6 to 8.

havent tried this but want to give it a go, sounds yummy!
jayarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jayarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:55am
I love veges soup.Nice recipes . I'll try them all . ehe !
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 12:40pm
That looks like some great recipes

How many of you puree your vege soups and how many leave it chunky? I noticed one recipe mentions it.
Lindsey

heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 4:28pm
CHUNKY nom nom nom how chunky it is depends on how small i cut the veges (or how small the food processor chops them up!)

ohh i really feel like soup tonight! might have to see what i can rustle up
heaf3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heaf3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2010 at 4:42pm
bumpity bump! seeing as it is soup season

keep the recipes coming ladies!
happymumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 2:28pm

I have a really yummy roast vege soup:

2 carrots, 1 parsnip, 800g unpeeled pumpkin, 350g kumara, 1 red pepper, 2 onions, 4 cloves garlic.

Roast veges at 180 degrees for an hour then remove red pepper.  Continue roasting rest of veges for another 30 mins.  Remove skin from red pepper (although I never bother!).  Scrape skins off pumpkin and kumara (I never bother with taking anything off the kumara either).  Add 3 cups vege or chicken stock and puree everything together. 

Add sour cream to serve.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2010 at 2:31pm

oh, and another super easy one:

Taco soup

Puree one can of tomatoes, one can corn, one can chilli beans, add chicken stock until soup is the right thickness.  Heat. 

To serve crush some corn chips into the bottom of a bowl (weird I know but it is delicious!), fill with soup and top with grated cheese.

Got to be the easiest soup in the world!

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2010 at 12:22pm
Ooh, that sounds good.

Another one ..

Sweat onions/garlic in olive oil for 10 minutes
Add one potato, one kumara and one carrot. Sweat another 10 minutes.
Add 3C vege stock, simmer for 20 minutes
Add 1-2T miso paste and one courgette, cook 10 minutes.

Very very yummy.
Mum to two wee boys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happymumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2010 at 3:05pm

oh how I LOVE soup!!  I think I could eat it all winter long with the occasional bit of garlic bread thrown in on the side.

Post Reply Post Reply