FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedCar seats - extended rear facing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>
Author
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 12:51pm
High9 - the seat doesn't have to be tethered. It was safety tested without the tether so just using the seatbelt is safe too.

Sponsored Links

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2011 at 5:02pm
Is it safe to do that to the front seat? As in I could possibly see that getting cut or snapping in an accident?

Thanks, will google it too!
Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 9:36pm
Hard to explain, you will see if you watch installation on youtube, but the connecting tether strap won't going around where the seat slides - the seat won't slide over the top of it and cut it. It goes under that pulls towards the car seat, so away from where the seat will slide. Check the railings first to. When I took the caps off mine, the end of the railings actually had slots so I was able to directly clip the tether on to those and thank goodness cause the connecting strap won't go through the railing anyway.

_Deb_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _Deb_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:07am
I just have to say that their are so many idiots on trademe. They're constantly making fun of or having a go at people that do extended rear facing/harnessing and people that own Radians. They reckon it would be so uncomfortable for older kids to rear face and that it's going to cause problems with their legs/hips and some even think extended rear facing is dangerous. People they choose to do it have done the research and made an informed choice that they believe is best for their child. Why is that something to make fun of?? Why don't they have a go at people that don't even bother with car seats. It's really starting to annoy me. Should just stay out of there. lol.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:39am
Yeah my DP would probably be one of them, not on TM but just in general. He thinks she's old enough to be FF - won't watch any videos on it. Said she'll be in a booster soon enough and will be out of a carseat/booster by 5... tbh I'm a bit mortified!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Kazper Kazper wrote:

Hard to explain, you will see if you watch installation on youtube, but the connecting tether strap won't going around where the seat slides - the seat won't slide over the top of it and cut it. It goes under that pulls towards the car seat, so away from where the seat will slide. Check the railings first to. When I took the caps off mine, the end of the railings actually had slots so I was able to directly clip the tether on to those and thank goodness cause the connecting strap won't go through the railing anyway.

Cool, thanks!
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 10:56am
Deb I say to people don't feel sorry for my child cause her legs maybe cramped if she was uncomfy she would tell me..but feel sorry for the 22 month old who broke her neck and ended up in a halo from being in an accident whilst FF.

and even if my child does break her legs at least she would only be in a cast for 6-8 weeks compared to months even years of intensive phyiscal therapy if she was FF.

MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 2:07pm
Yeah I would much rather risk my son breaking his legs than breaking his neck, or worse.
Some people are ignorant and if something is against what they do or what they believe they have to belittle it, unfortunately it can be seen in all aspects of life

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 6:37pm
Ive heard that RFing babies dont break their legs, your more likely to break them FFing.. I cant remember where Ive seen taht (prob all those FB groups Ive joined!)

+1 May 09 Angel
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2011 at 6:57pm
there was a recent accident in the USA one child RF (almost 3) and 2 children FF.

it was on one of the FF who ended up with a broken leg the RF child had no injuries.

Guest_40854 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_40854 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 1:50pm
We bought radian and it doesn't fit in our 2008 Kia sportage! Well it sort of does but the front passengers knees would be in the dashboard :(. Did anyone else have this prob? What should we do? I think we will return it.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 5:57pm
You can adjust how you put it in the car. Try putting it in the centre of the back seat. Also as you put it in, dont put the boot bit fully into the back of the seat, so it sits up more. Lol that is terrible I know.

Sunshine Kids/ Diano (sp?) are bringing out a new foot that goes on the base so they sit more upright, I think they are due in very soon.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2011 at 6:16pm
Pretty much what Wriggles said. Try center position or having it more upright....that's if you don't need it at newborn position.

I'm looking forward to the new foot bases as we definitely need one.

chuffed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuffed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2011 at 7:13pm
How old is your little one that you are trying to put in the Sportage? Did you try a centre installation?
The Kia's are generally pretty good for installs so it may be that you need to use a few tricks for getting it in more upright as long as your child is old enough.
Where in NZ are you as there might be somebody who has experience with the Radian who can give you a hand with the install.

Guest_40854 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_40854 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 8:20am
Thanks everyone. It can't go in cente because there is an armrest which moves and then both front seats would have to move up. We tok it to plunket and they helped. It is more upright and fits better. We also twisted the female end of the seat belt to shorten it so we could tighten it without having it jam into the carseat and be loose (confusing I know!) there was no place to attach the tether. Baby is 4 mos but coming unto 8kg so can be in capsule for a bit yet.
Nothing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 10:59am
Thats good to hear that you got it sorted. Yes you can turn the female part of the seat belt up to 2 1/2 times, I have had to do it in every vehicle I have put a seat it. You can put the tether around the sliding rail of the front seat. The radian would have come with a strap that you can wrap around and it has a metal buckle on the other end for the tether to clip onto. I personally would put it on, or else get a blot installed on the back seat floor.

Kazper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 8:54pm
We have twisted the buckle the seat belt goes in to to. That was mainly to stop people from accidentally unclipping it when sitting in the side seats.

ereynolds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ereynolds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 7:22pm
I'm proud to say we are now part of the Radian crowd! We got one of the ones Baby Universe were selling for $395. We were seriously considering getting an Ax Kid seat though, but at that price, we had to snap one up! Thanks to this thread for helping us decide to extended rear face! (I'm an often lurker)

Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2011 at 9:37pm
Anyone got any info on the axkid?? Looking at getting one for bubba, but would love a bit more info on it!

+1 May 09 Angel
MamaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MamaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2011 at 7:12am
So I am now tossing up between the Britax Two Way Elite and the Diono Radian for DS and putting the new baby in DS's current Radian. Decisions decisions...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233>