FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHospital Water Birth?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hospital Water Birth?
    Posted: 24 April 2010 at 9:27am
A friend of a friend had a water birth at the same Hospital we'll be having our little bubba and although the idea sounds completely gross to my DH it sounds like a great idea to me.

I was going to ask my MW about it next time we meet up.

Anyone done this? Considering it?

May 2012
Sponsored Links

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 9:58am
I had one with my first daughter, it was incredible! A big help for me in terms of pain relief, and helping me relax.

I planned a home water birth for my second baby, had the pool all set up, but DD2 had different plans and arrived before I had a chance to get in!

You don't have to be fixed on having a water birth but keep your options open, for me it was absolutely worth it.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 9:58am
The thing with hospital water births is they will only let you in the pool if everything is A-OK.. even just to labour! And its first in first served so if the pools are full too bad!

I would have loved to be able to try water, its always been something I have wanted to do but alas I not allowed and due to a section wont be aloowed unless I do it at home.

Def worth a chat with with your mw as some wont assist water births.....

0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 10:02am
Thanks ladies!

I didn't even think about the pools being full Melnel, good point, also didn't think about the fact MW might not do them... she's quite straight to the point, no nonsense kinda person, which I like so best I check with her.

May 2012
Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 2:17pm

i had a hospital water birth with thomas- it was great and would def recommend it.

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
mrsturtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrsturtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2010 at 10:38pm
I did with Emily and we also plan to with pickle, i really enjoyed it (as much as you can) and its really not that messy hubby was convinced it was going to be a scene from jaws and was quite suprised that it wasnt, im pretty sure it even has a comment in my pink book from the mw about how he said it lol.
0mrs0ana0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0mrs0ana0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2010 at 11:08am
Originally posted by shannon shannon wrote:

hubby was convinced it was going to be a scene from jaws and was quite suprised that it wasnt

haha! that's funny

that's what my hubby is quite concerned about!

I'm definately going to ask about it, my next MW apppointment isn't for another month though...

May 2012
4monkeys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4monkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2010 at 11:17am
I've had 2 water births at the hospital now. Our hospital doesn't have a pool, but some of the delivery rooms have baths in. It is a bit first in first served and I nearly missed out with my DD, but my mw pulled some strings and put us into the room set aside for multiples as there wasn't anyone expected in there.    
With my #1 I laboured in the bath for a while, but birthed him on the bed as I got a bit uncomfortable. #2 was an 'accidental' water birth - he came so quickly that I go into the bath and instantly knew that i wasn't getting out again! Then #3 was a planned water birth. Would like to do it again with #4, so hopefully there will be one free. So much nicer than needing drugs like i did for #1!
Lillybetts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillybetts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by shannon shannon wrote:

I did with Emily and we also plan to with pickle, i really enjoyed it (as much as you can) and its really not that messy hubby was convinced it was going to be a scene from jaws and was quite suprised that it wasnt, im pretty sure it even has a comment in my pink book from the mw about how he said it lol.

Haha my husband was thinking a simular thing! (He hattttttttes blood and guts! Gets queesy if he see's lots of blood) But I though it would be really special for him to be in the birthing pool with me. Is that a good idea? I know every labour is different and every woman's experience is too. But I'm realy keen on it but I'm not sure if it's the best thing. Like will there be a hell of alot of blood? Or is that just when the placenta is out?

Thanks
Kellyfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:38pm
Mrs Ana, you're from Dunners aye? Do you know what the hospital situation with birthing baths is? Ie, how many do they have, and do you have to let them know prior to the birth that you want to use one? I'm all for a water birth, or at least labouring in the pool in later stages for pain relief, but haven't discussed with my MW yet and I wont see her for a wee while.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:24pm
I got to the hospital after 12 hrs in labour with #1, rang ahead and they were preparing the polll for me, but like melnel said, they will not let u in the pool ulness everything is A-OK. So we arrived and I was straped to the bed for monitoring which I wasnt excpected, and cos DD's heartbeat was occasionally decreasing slightly, I wanst alowwed in pol for another 2 hrs and was strapped to the bed for this time.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:46pm
I had a home waterbirth with #2. The water was fanatstic for pain relief and feeling weightless. I also only ended up with a tiny tear that needed no stitches.
There was very little blood and stuff in the pool afterwards, hubby hates that stuff too and he was the one who cleaned it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply