FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDoes anyone know (hosp/home births)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does anyone know (hosp/home births)
    Posted: 18 May 2010 at 10:32am
So bad title i know.

With DD i had an episiotomy, forceps & hemorrhaged.

Because of this would it mean it would be recommended to have birth in a hospital?

Because i had an awful birth experience it makes me more determined to try a home birth or water birth at hospital more than ever.

For those that have had similar births, what were your other births like etc? Thanks
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 11:21am
Both my births were pretty straight forward and in a hospital so I can't say for definate but I would think it depends on why you had a episiotomy, forceps & hemorrhaged with your DD as to whether you can birthat home or not with your next baby
Lindsey

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 12:21pm
The episiotomy and forceps are fine, but the haemorrhage may not be. It depends how bad, and why, but if such a thing is likely again, hospital is probably the right choice.

I had vonteuse and episiotomy in hosp after no progress at home for 21 hours (I wanted a home birth), and my MW said to me afterwards "don't worry, the next one will be a lovely home birth ".

If you needed help to deliver it's not too awful to transfer (although I wasn't at the pushing stage when I did, which would probably be worse), but a haemorrhage requires an emergency transfer by ambulance which could be pretty scary. JMO anyway
Madiandmini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madiandmini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 12:35pm
Apart from the haemorrhage, Totally go for the home birth hun!

You would need to investigate the reasons behind the haemorrhage first. But that would be something a MW would discuss and I reckon if you found a MW keen on homebirth she'd be all for it!

The episiotomy and forceps are often a result of the hospital itself, more than your body!
And a plus to being at home is you are much more comfortable which usully means less intervention!!

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 4:19pm
I horrible first labour/birth - had diff mw with #2 and she and her back up midwife throughly read my notes from the first birth several times and decided they were happy for me to go ahead with a home birth. Like you, I was very determined to have a beautiful natural birth, far different from #1, and I did!
#1 I went to hosp after 12 hrs labur at home, finally had her after 23 hrs, 2 x epidural (one was put in the wrong place), catheter, 2 IV drips-one to increase effectiveness of contraction, and another drip to slow them down, IV fluids, then vountousse and 3 rows of stitches- no doccumeneted haemerrage although my hb dropped a lot and went down to 80.
With #2 I read hypnobirth book, practised hypno birth breathing, learnt accupressure from online info and taught my DH and Mum how to do it, recited positive birth affirmations, made an exact plan of what I wanted each midwife/mum/DH to do and had a meeting with all of them so they all knew what I wanted from each of them and it was all written down. I had a wonderful birth! Was a planned home birth, but when I was 10cm and pushing him out my waters broke and there was muconiun, so beacuse it looked like I was still a bit away from actually having him, we transfered to hsopital and he was born there an hr later, still completely naturally! 9 hrs all up. Not a scracth either, despite all the scar tissue from the 3 rows of stitches I had 'down there' afetr having #1. Both were decent sized babies too- #1 8lb6, 52cm, head 37cm, #2 8lb14, 52cm, head37!

So after my novel, my point is - definatly go for a natural bith, you can do it!! Even if the midwife feels it is safer for you/baby to have a hospital birth is doesnt mean it will go like your first birth. I put a lot of time and effort into ensuring #2 birth would not be like #1, and it totally paid off!
fadeless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fadeless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2010 at 8:39pm
If you can find a good midwife then go for the homebirth.

My 1st was an emergency c/s (7lbs 12oz) then my second was nearly a c/s and i gave birth to her on the operating table in theate, i had a 2nd degree tear and episiotomy (9lbs!). With having the c/s im not supposed to have homebirths but my next 2 births were at home with an amazing midwife and im getting ready for my next homebirth in about 11wks time.

Edited to say that at my last birth my midwife left a needle of meds (not sure what it actually was) at our house when she left, she didnt tell me what it was until the next day when i pointed it out and she said that i had actually bled more than she liked after the birth and had left it incase i hemorrhaged. So that might be something to ask your midwife about.

Edited by fadeless
DD 9 ~ DD 8 ~ DS 7 ~ DS 5 ~ DS 2 ~ DS 14mths ~ DD 3mths
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:56am
I really liked my midwife and would want to use her again. I know she specializes in homebirths.

I think at this stage im more leaning against waterbirth at the hospital. But thats only because im so far from hospital. I think its a decision id have to make closer to the time.
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 5:11pm
I read this earlier this morning and have been thinking on it all day, as it hit very close to home for me.

I had quite a large PPH after my first birth, ending in a transfusion, and five days in hospital / crappy recovery.

For my second I had a wonderful (and quick!) homebirth with NO trouble whatsoever, and supported by a wonderfully knowledgeable and hands-off midwife.

What I learned between my first and second births was really valuable to me, including that a previous PPH is not an indicator of whether or not you will bleed in subsequent births - unless you have a clotting disorder or similar.

There are also *heaps* of things you can do / strategies you can put in place to help prevent or lessen the chance of PPH. For me the first of these *was* staying home, I was so much more relaxed and comfortable.

The next was make sure I stayed hydrated, Powerade was my friend as I didn't really feel like water oddly enough. Not being able to empty your bladder properly after baby is born (but before the placenta) can sometimes mean you are more likely to bleed (or at least not be helpful).

I had some herbal tinctures on hand that I was going to use just in case the bleeding got heavy, and if those were no good then I had a vial of synto and syringe on hand in my fridge that my mw had given me at about the 38w point. Fortunately we never needed to use these!

A couple of other things that I'd put in my birth plan were *no* VE's were to be done at all (unless in dire emergency, like cord prolapse or something), and also no cord traction was to be applied when birthing the placenta - for me the less interference the better.

Lastly, getting baby to the breast (although not forcing it, as some babies are just not interested straight away) for a feed as soon as possible was important - it gets even more oxytocin flowing and causes the uterus to start contracting down again (v. important).

If you want a homebirth, you can have one - just make sure you plan for it and do lots of reading on third stage.

Edited by HippyMama
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2010 at 7:36pm
I was waiting for HippyMama to post since she was a positive HB after yucky hospital birth.

I had a big PPH and nasty recovery as well, but I'm going hospital all the way - it's just me and how I work, and it's where I feel comfortable. Have you got the same MW? I think being able to talk it all through with her would be a useful strategy, partly so you can have a good understanding of why you PPHed and what the risks may be in your particular circumstances.
Mum to two wee boys
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2010 at 5:47pm
Just popping back with a link I came across on Facebook today that I thought you might be interested in reading Sabrina

Three Tips for a Successful Home Birth
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
 Post Reply Post Reply