FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedArticle about MMR vaccine and autism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Article about MMR vaccine and autism
    Posted: 26 May 2010 at 9:38am
Interesting reading:

Vaccines and autism link
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Sponsored Links

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:08am
Heh, I was just coming in here to post THIS ONE.

A very interesting read.
While I choose to vaccinate my children I am very pro-personal choice on the matter and I think it is incredibly sad that so many people were misinformed and misled in their decision making because of such a money-hungry, cold-hearted, self-motivated, jerk/industry.
I'm glad he has finally been exposed and I hope that karma just keeps coming back to bite him.
Unfortunately that karma will be of little comfort to the families whose children have since suffered life-long effects after contracting measles etc.

Ok, that doesn't sound as unbiased as I meant it to, sorry!
Measles is a bit close to home for me as my father is profoundly deaf after contracting measles at age 5.
I really am all for people making an informed decision for their children though and it sickens me that so many people's choices were swayed by this.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:13am
I will still vaccinate. I think I would rather Autism and take that 'chance' than Measles, mumps or rubella.

I've read elsewhere that it's just a coincidence that autism signs happen around the same time as the later vaccines.
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:48am
That comic is brilliant Mel!

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
Booski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 10:55am
Meh, I'm pro-personal choice too. I didn't vaccinate, and am happy with that.

The thing that really gets me is I am a scientist - how could this guy knowingly fudge results to get what some people wanted knowing the huge impact it'd have on wider society. Lack of morals doesn't really cover it.

Also that last paragraph in the TV3 story irritates me - having this study discredited doesn't prove immunisations are 'perfectly safe', it proves that guy was a w&#$er!!

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 11:40am
Yes, it shows a bit of a lack of understanding of the way scientific study works - you can't really prove a negative (so it's in the too hard basket to definitively say vaccinations don't cause any harm).

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 6:20pm
yeah I'm the same..I'm very pro vaccine and would always rather take the slight risk than have my child potentially die of preventable disease.. .. and also pro choice..as long as it is informed choice...ugh words dont even describe that guy!

Edited by ElfsMum
Mum to two amazing boys!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 6:57pm
I am pro choice too, but an informed choice is better than going with the crowd. I had a few doubt while I was pregnant but dp and I had a good talk about it and decided it was best.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2010 at 8:51pm
I'm pro choice too. I just think it's sad so much money and time has been spent disproving one guy instead of trying to find out what is actually causing the increase in autism. It would probably serve better with increasing take up numbers if they found the cause of the increase cos until then parents will always have that doubt and lets face it pharmaceutical companies aren't that trustworthy so you can't blame people for being doubtful even after this research was shown to be wrong.

I would just like to add though that not everyone who chooses not to vaccinate has done so because they think there is a link between MMR and autism, we haven't given our children any of the vaccines and it was for many reasons with the possiblitly of the MMR autism link not being one of them because when we researched it we found nothing to actually back it up.
Just don't want people to assume when someone hasn't vaccinated that it was because of this and that they are ill informed (I expect some have and are, but not all of us)

Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 4:49pm
Maybe there is no increase in autism just more cases are being recognised? I don't have a clue..just a suggestion. Lots of things would have been swept under the carpet in the past.

Oct 11
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by TaliP TaliP wrote:

Maybe there is no increase in autism just more cases are being recognised? I don't have a clue..just a suggestion. Lots of things would have been swept under the carpet in the past.

A lot more cases are being recognised, if you look at the stats it's risen heaps but it more a recent thing iygwim.
And lots of things were swept under the carpet!

Just think back to the 50's, if people had a child with a disability at birth they would give them away and say the child died...
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:03pm
I hope this guy gets everything he deserves - it sucks that his study had such a huge effect on society. I wonder if he thought it would be as big a deal as it turned out to be?

I try to stay pro-choice but find myself leaning toward pro-vaccine. I understand people who delay vaccines if they feel their child's immune system isn't up to it yet due to allergies etc - but struggle to understand people who don't vaccinate at all. Not only are they putting their own child at risk but they are putting other children who haven't yet had the vaccine and unborn babies at risk if they catch one the diseases and go out in public with it.

Edited by StaceyL

tommynomad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommynomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 5:11pm
Wakefield has done more damage to the pro-choice movement than he ever did good.

I'm pro-choice, and old enough to remember 'measles parties' wherein everyone swapped lollys and tshirts.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 8:53am

Originally posted by Delli Delli wrote:

I try to stay pro-choice but find myself leaning toward pro-vaccine. I understand people who delay vaccines if they feel their child's immune system isn't up to it yet due to allergies etc - but struggle to understand people who don't vaccinate at all. Not only are they putting their own child at risk but they are putting other children who haven't yet had the vaccine and unborn babies at risk if they catch one the diseases and go out in public with it.

Hi, slightly OT, but as one of 'those people' who don't vaccinate their child (and trust me, it was a well researched, thought out, discussed choice), why would you be concerned about my child putting yours at risk if you are so sure that vaccinating your child will prevent them from getting the disease in question? Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.  As for my baby catching a disease and giving it to another unvaccinated child, is that unfair if she passes it onto a child who parents choose not to vaccinate or who just to those who haven't had a chance to yet? You can't distinguish between the two. There's heaps of Mums on this forum who don't vaccinate and are probably more elequent then I in explaining it but the gist seems to be among us that we would rather risk natural disease in our children than some of the crap and over medication that is put in vaccines.  And btw, I"m not anti vaccine, I'm PRO CHOICE, and I think you'll find anyone here who doesn't vaccinate has made a well researched and informed decision not to! I am always reviewing my decision and would quite like one or two of the vaccinations seperately however I have been told by several Dr's this is not possible in NZ, depsite it being possible overseas.  Not trying to be rude or anything here, just giving you 'our' side as well

Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by Emmecat Emmecat wrote:

why would you be concerned about my child putting yours at risk if you are so sure that vaccinating your child will prevent them from getting the disease in question? Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.  

Where on earth did I say this? That statement doesn't make sense to me either. If my child is vaccinated, then no I am not concerned that he will catch whatever your child has. However, at the moment he is still young and hasn't had his MMR vaccinations yet. If your child caught one of those diseases and went to the same places as my child (could even be the drs surgery - full of young babies and vulnerable old people) then yes I would be concerned that he would be at risk.

Some people (not you, people in general ) talk of these diseases as if they are harmless and that measles parties are so much fun. I guess they don't know people who are blind from measles, have one leg shorter than the other from polio, are mentally disabled from meningitis or have died. Perhaps they don't know anyone that has suffered any of these effects from these diseases because they are so much less common than they used to be - and they are so much less common than they used to be because of vaccinations.

But yes, I try to stay pro choice (but as I said, SOMETIMES I find it hard ) because as you say - best to research and research and come up with your own opinions. Funny how we probably researched and looked at the same material but have come up with two totally different answers

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 4:24pm

lol Delli- totally agree with that last bit about reading the same research and coming up with different answers! It has been one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make and its one I've made in conjunction and with the support of our GP. He is (obviously) pro vaccine but also very pro choice....and knows I have spent hours and hours reading research and listening to other peoples opinions etc before making my own. I do know they used to have measle and chickpox parties and TBH I'm still a little unsure as to why measles is such a big deal these days? Im genuinely curious....I understand of course there are some small risks of things going very bad with it, however isn't that the case for many things?  I just feel as a society in general we seem to live in an attitude of fear of what *might* happen, and that really worries me. It also concerns me what vaccines have in them now as preservatives and the amount of things we are vaccinating against, esp in our really wee babes.  This concern for me is exacerbated by the fact that I can't seem to find any health professional to tell me the answers to the above, despite my attempts to find one. Even the vaccinations nurse educator or whatever she called herself couldn't tell me if the preservatives in our common vaccinations was mercury or therimosal (sp) and even our paed said the only reason to jab our kids was 'just in case' there was an outbreak.

Sorry have taken this OT again, and so don't want an arguement about pros and cons of it all, just trying to explain how I feel as a very loving Mama who is trying to do the best by her bubba.  I am saddened and annoyed by the 'scientist' mentioned in the OP as he has done nothing at all for pro choice nor research in general IMO.

Mumoflots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumoflots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 7:35pm
Glad to see that there is some intelligent conversation about this. I would like to add that if your concerned about the MMR or the DPT or any of the other combination vaccines, which seem to be the ones linked to Autism and other child nasties, then you may request to have your shots done individually if you still wish to immunise
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Emmecat Emmecat wrote:

I do know they used to have measle and chickpox parties and TBH I'm still a little unsure as to why measles is such a big deal these days? Im genuinely curious....I understand of course there are some small risks of things going very bad with it, however isn't that the case for many things?  

Just one last thing, just because you asked. I am on a roll with this threadjacking business

If you are talking Rubella (German Measles) then the biggest risk is to unborn babies. 85% of babies infected within the first eight weeks after conception will be born with abnormalities.

If you are talking English Measles then there is a 30% chance a child that has contracted measles will develop complications such as ear infections, pneumonia or encephalitis. The chance of the disease being fatal is 1-2 in 1000. In the olden days EVERYONE used to get measles as it is highly highly contagious. It was still not cool if you got it but there was no escaping it. Which is why they used to have measles parties - because everyone was going to get it sooner or later they may as well get it sooner and be immune to it sooner, it was better to be crook as a child than as an adult. Imagine if everyone still got it now - 0.1% of 4 million people is 4000. Or to be more accurate - around 65,000 people are born in NZ every year. If there were no vaccinations around - approx 65 would die of measles.

Don't worry I'm not trying to convince you, or start up a debate on vaccinating vs non-vaccinating - I just answered because you said you were curious

Edited to fix my dodgy maths. Yes, I did get out of bed to come and fix this because I was lying there in shame when I realised what I'd done! Was wondering why 40,000 seemed a tad high. Embarrassing!

Edited by Delli

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 8:15pm
I'm not entirely convinced that vaccination has done anything for the reduction of these diseases as most had declined due to better health care, living conditions, nutrition and education anyway. Take scarlet fever for example, there is no vaccine for that and the downward trend for it is the same as the ones that are vaccinated for and when they start demonising chicken pox and actively encouraging (scaring) parents into doing that one as well it really does make me wonder about things.

That article talked about one child in England dieing in 13 years due to lack of vaccination. So one death in 13 years out of how many millions that aren't vaccinated as it said levels had dropped to 50% in London and there are around 11 million people in London alone. Hmmmmm. I just wonder how it can be justified to give every child vaccinations that have potentially harmful substances in them (and I'm not referring to the autism link just what is in the injections in general) to have potentially have saved one life in 13 years and who knows that one kid might have been vaccinated, it didn't say.

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2010 at 8:30pm
Just wanted to put my 2cents in I'm still pro-choice for the most part, but the more research I do (recently wrote an essay for uni about both sides of vaccination), I'm also finding myself more pro-vaccine (which having worked as a virologist, does make sense! )

Re: the statement above about getting the MMR done separately, I tried to do that (as Nat reacts to the albumin in vaccines like MMR), but it's not available in NZ, even on special request.

Also, the general worry about letting the proportion of vaccinated individuals drop is a serious one. Diseases like measles are kept at bay from a huge outbreak by herd immunity, and for measles specifically, we need about 95% of the population vaccinated in order to achieve herd immunity. We know that vaccines lessen the effects of any disease passed along, rather than protecting against infection (no vaccine does that) - but part of that is due to the fact that some of these diseases are not able to survive unless there are 'pockets' of individuals that are not vaccinated.

As soon as our society's herd immunity decreases, we are at risk of having multiple outbreaks - this is why some people may say that the unimmunised kiddies are actually being protected by the immunised ones (no digs at anyone here, just stating facts and what I've heard said previously).

an example of this is in Russia in the 90's where their immunisation schedule collapsed, and within 5 years they had over 50000 cases of diphtheria which resulted in the deaths of thousands of individuals. In Sweden, they phased out routine immunisation for whooping cough in 1979, and within 6 years they had had 2 outbreaks including deaths.

I think part of the problem is that we do live in a society that doesn't need to worry about these 'third world diseases' like polio, diptheria, whooping cough etc, and we forget that such huge numbers of children died because of them. We live in a society where we have the 'luxury' of worrying about possible side-effects of vaccines, rather than worrying about the diseases themselves. I know our grandparents grew up in a world of iron lungs, and a huge infant mortality rate, and while general improvements like hygeine and living conditions have contributed to those declines, vaccination has made a huge impact. I for one wouldn't want to go back to an era where I could lose a child to an easily-preventable disease.

(and we did delay MMR for a while due to allergies, but I would never consider not getting it done at all - measles is still a very nasty disease, and while in NZ not many children die from it, in less developed nations, it still has a 30% death rate).

As for the scientist (coming from an ex-scientist) - I also find it hard to believe that he really went through with presenting his data knowing how flawed it was, and also not having anyone else question the data closely before it was published......seems rather fishy! And what a horrible legacy he has left

Sorry for the essay also being slightly OT

Edit to fix my facts

Edited by blondy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>