FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby walkers/exersaucers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
squoggs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote squoggs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby walkers/exersaucers
    Posted: 02 June 2010 at 5:05pm

Hi, when I popped into the local plunket rooms recently I noticed they had a blurb pinned on the all saying these are dangerous and shouldn't be used...I'm just curious, anyone know why? We haven't bought one yet, so would like to hear your opinions

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 5:42pm
They might mean the ones that are able to walk around the room vs ones that just stay in the same place
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 5:42pm
I had a lady from PAFT come over and tell me they were bad too. If they can't stand, they aren't ready to use their feet, so they can get deformed feet, walking on the side of their feet, bent toes, etc.

She said even when they are walking they are bad news as they are sitting and pulling themselves long iygwim so can have walking problems.

I know our neighbour is pigeon toed (sp) as a result of them and she is having surgery in a few months to try correct it.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2010 at 10:15pm
the ones with wheels can tip over easily and are very dangerous if the baby can get to stairs and tip. and yeah its one of those things that i hate because they seem to be used for babies who really arent developmentally ready to stand or sit or whatever the activity is.

luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2010 at 9:59am
Yeah it's not just the physical thing either (with the walkers). Apparently their little brains need to "work out" how to walk so they miss out on an important neurodevelopmental step if they can move around using a walker.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 5:01pm
So exersaucers are bad too?

Oct 11
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 5:18pm
talip in my book they are...

or maybe not bad as such, just unnecessary but could be bad if over used.

Edited by Bizzy

Anonymous55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anonymous55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 7:04pm
Just wondering if that means the Jolly Jumper is bad too? It's called an excersaucer, so I guess it's bad??

Edited by MUM2HIAWATHA
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 7:38pm
I don't know about JJ as person I speak to never mentioned it, it does say 3 months on the box, although I know some people put their babies in really early, but they need to be able to support their heads...

But that's a good point about them.
minik8e View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote minik8e Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:37pm
I think JJ can be bad in the sense that they can teach bubs to tippy toe, rather than stand flat footed?

Is it bad though if bubs learns to walk using your hands as a balance?? The girls have ALWAYS stood - they love their feet (and are flat footed), and Jade loves to walk around holding onto your hands. So her balance isn't the greatest LOL but she is so proud of herself!
Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 10:13pm
In my opinion I think walkers aren't that great for the baby as they are learning to walk more on their tippy toes than proper steps.
Exersaucers are different as the child isn't moving so therefore not using leg muscles as such to propel along so not "walking" if that makes sense.

All up to their own i guess - but people tell you things all the time like my nana always says that baby will end up with bandy legs if shes allowed to stand up for ages I don't really think thats true, do you see many people with bandy legs around?

Angel baby - May 2008
luvmylittlies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luvmylittlies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 7:31am
I don't know about the exersaucers and jolly jumpers. I only know about the walkers because the paediatric physios I work with always go on about how bad they are but they've never mentioned the other things. Although this personally has made me hesitant to use a JJ. I don't think that letting them walk holding onto your hands is a problem though because it's so intermittant.   I think Bizzy has the right idea - they're probably all okay if they're not overused.
Adoring Mum to Talisin 8/9/11 and Kiara 18/01/10
monkey33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkey33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 9:37am
We have both - Jolly Jumper & Exersaucer. I don't see a problem with either of them as long as they are used in moderation.

I'm told the walkers are dangerous - as Bizzy said they can apparantley tip easily.
HuntersMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntersMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 2:25pm
I wouldnt use a walker for safety reasons but am keen on an exersaucer. DS just LOVES his jolly jumper and has an absolute ball in it.

jessiesmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessiesmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 4:24pm
You might be interested in this thread

http://www.ohbaby.co.nz/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=33024&PN=2

DD 2007, Angel Baby 2009, DS 2010
NovemberMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NovemberMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 11:33pm
re exersaucers I think long as you aren't putting baby in it for 8 hours a day they are fine..our son probably spends less than 30 minutes in it a day (and not all at once) on average.

clover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 4:47pm
I read an interesting article on this the other day, I'll try and find it and put in a link. It was basically saying that babies shouldn't be put in JJ's, exersaucers, walkers at all as you are putting them in a position that they are not suposed to be in developmentally yet. In essence, if they can't sit they shouldn't be in an exersaucer and if they can't stand/walk they shouldn't be in a JJ or walker.
Jennifer265726 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennifer265726 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2020 at 6:40am
When babies begin attempting to walk, parents regularly consider getting a baby walker. Current variants of these walkers are regularly produced using hard plastic with wheels to encourage the development of walking. There are varieties of baby walkers, however, they are common items that incorporate suspended seats with two openings for a child's legs and wheels on the base. Click here for guidelines about baby walkers.

Edited by Jennifer265726 - 31 December 2020 at 6:49am
 Post Reply Post Reply